Are your friends torn on TDKR?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Took 9 friends to see TDKR in IMAX. Everyone came out happy. But I'm pretty sure some of my pro-Marvel friends still didn't think it beat The Avengers.

Friends loved it more than Avengers. And they LOVED Avengers...

All of them loved TDKR more than TDK,especially my boyfriend who thought Nolan surpassed every expectation we had.
But I knew they were going to.People who don't like TDKR or the whole Batman trilogy,are not my friends :JGLface:

Pretty much all my friends absolutly loved Rises except for one who thought it was dissapointing and to him, DEATH.... BY EXILE :judge:

Last edited by CallMeSelina on April 30th, 2015, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

anime_girl wrote:All of them loved TDKR more than TDK,especially my boyfriend who thought Nolan surpassed every expectation we had.
But I knew they were going to.People who don't like TDKR or the whole Batman trilogy,are not my friends :JGLface:

There is not many people out there that didn't love or like Nolans Trilogy of Bat films.

If they didn't like Nolans Bat Trilogy, then they must have loved the Burton and Schumacher films. haha

DKnight007 wrote:If they didn't like Nolans Bat Trilogy, then they must have loved the Burton and Schumacher films. haha
The Burton films were the forerunners for not only Nolan's trilogy, but also for practically every tent-pole movie -- especially superhero movies -- to follow. I personally love Burton's two Batman films and am supremely disappointed he wasn't able to make a third like he originally planned. They're unabashedly dark, comical, grotesquely gothic, and infused with the right amount of German Expressionism and the iconography of noir. And it's because of Burton's films that we got Batman: The Animated Series, which to this day I would consider a major contender for greatest animated series in TV history. The Schumacher movies are a completely different story, and like the light and colorful Batman stories of the 50s and 60s in which he and Robin fought dinosaurs and aliens, should simply be seen as a "sign of the times."
The only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased. Unprejudiced. Fair.

madcowre wrote:None of my friends like Batman/Nolan like I do, so they went into the film totally neutral. But they all came out talking about how amazing and fucking awesome it was.
Same with me. I liked it the least of my friends, and I stilled really enjoyed it. Batman Begins will always be my favorite Batman film.

Big Bad Harv wrote:
DKnight007 wrote:If they didn't like Nolans Bat Trilogy, then they must have loved the Burton and Schumacher films. haha
The Burton films were the forerunners for not only Nolan's trilogy, but also for practically every tent-pole movie -- especially superhero movies -- to follow. I personally love Burton's two Batman films and am supremely disappointed he wasn't able to make a third like he originally planned. They're unabashedly dark, comical, grotesquely gothic, and infused with the right amount of German Expressionism and the iconography of noir. And it's because of Burton's films that we got Batman: The Animated Series, which to this day I would consider a major contender for greatest animated series in TV history. The Schumacher movies are a completely different story, and like the light and colorful Batman stories of the 50s and 60s in which he and Robin fought dinosaurs and aliens, should simply be seen as a "sign of the times."

I like Burtons first film.

Batman Returns is a polarizing one it seems. It had a chance to be great IMO...but Burton chose to film on sound stages? Ugh....which well looked like they filmed on soundstages and the action was not great. The film was too whimsical for me. My wife though loves Burtons whimsical films and she loved Pfeiffers Catwoman.

Pfeiffer as Catwoman was great, but her origin was terrible and ill conceived IMO.

DKnight007 wrote:I like Burtons first film.

Batman Returns is a polarizing one it seems. It had a chance to be great IMO...but Burton chose to film on sound stages? Ugh....which well looked like they filmed on soundstages and the action was not great. The film was too whimsical for me. My wife though loves Burtons whimsical films and she loved Pfeiffers Catwoman.

Pfeiffer as Catwoman was great, but her origin was terrible and ill conceived IMO.
Burton's interpretation of both Catwoman and Penguin worked because they were as grotesquely absurd as his Gotham was a nightmare world -- or, to quote the great Bob Kane, "like Hell rising up through the concrete." Somehow a fat man-monster disowned by his parents and sent into the bowels of the Gotham sewer system, where his deformities would mirror those of his feathered friends, didn't seem out of place. The same goes for Catwoman: killed by her megalomaniacal boss, she returns from the dead in pure Frankensteinian form -- her outfit bearing overtly white stitch patterns showing that she "sewed herself anew" makes the motif that much darker. Both of their origins are inconceivable in the world of reality, but Burton's Batman universe so borders on the nightmarish that they just fit without question, really. The action was decent, but I also personally love that most of the film was done on sound stages, in much the same way the Golden Age films noirs were constructed around the "city of the imagination." And to think that Nolan would use Pinewood Studios in London to film some scenes in his Batman trilogy goes to show just how influential Burton's two films were to later films.
The only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased. Unprejudiced. Fair.