Are your friends torn on TDKR?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
my friends loved it and wanted to see it a second time and my family like it too i've seen it two times with my dad

Nolan movies are not for everyone.

aeioulul wrote:Nolan movies are not for everyone.
True.

My friends like it (love it mostly), but not more than TDK.
My 13 years old nephew cried at the end (and he never cry). I have a cool nephew 8-)

Nolan movies are made to appeal to a very broad audience. He's a commercial director who makes movies that appeal to all four quadrants. Even his less successful films are enjoyable on a basic level, though anyone who pays attention can understand them without any special knowledge or sensibility. His films arent radical or subversive. Hes not a niche or cult director by any means.

None of this means he's anything less than a great director. But he's not a PTA or a Lynch or an Aronokfsy or a Kubrick. He has different goals for his movies.

Joeyjojo72 wrote:Nolan movies are made to appeal to a very broad audience. He's a commercial director who makes movies that appeal to all four quadrants.
I agree with these statements...
Joeyjojo72 wrote:But he's not a PTA or a Lynch or an Aronokfsy or a Kubrick. He has different goals for his movies.
...But I'll be the first to call bullsh*t on these statements. Nolan is an exceptionally modest director -- this includes, of course, the way in which he lives his life, such as his strict refusal to own a cellphone and his admission that a second unit on any of his films would be superfluous, as he likes to oversee each and every shot himself -- but modesty, general mass appeal, and an old-world film philosophy that harkens back to the Golden Age of Hollywood doesn't just mean he belongs alongside the likes of Kubrick and Lynch, it also means (in my opinion) that he would definitely have to come before Aronofsky and P.T. Anderson. Nolan has, in essence, established himself as the director of the new millennium, and he has (arguably) the best overall track record in terms of pure consistency out of any big-name directors that I can think of in the last, oh, at least twenty-five years or more. And I would also argue, for the sake of example, that The Prestige could easily fit the bill as a "niche/genre" film, one in which style and substance were the focal points of the film, although it still retains the qualities inherent in being a film that could entertain a larger audience than, say, Aronofsky's The Fountain or Anderson's Magnolia. I don't disagree with what you're saying entirely, but I think certain factors about his position as an influential director need to be taken into account in relation to other contemporary (and classic) directors.

As for the reactions to The Dark Knight Rises from my friends ... well, many of the people I know are self-acclaimed comic book/film fanatics, but they've all found reasons to not like this film. Some verbatim examples include:
Friend 1 wrote:Just saw "Dark Knight Rises" or as I like to call it "Batman's Disastrous Voyage on the HMS Metaphor."
Friend 2 wrote:Saw "The Dark Knight Rises" tonight. I liked it, but I also like being surprised in movies I've been waiting this long for.
Friend 3 wrote:Finally saw the dark night rises. Way to end it with a fizzle Nolan.
In conclusion, I've come to realize that all three of these friends hugely prefer Marvel films to DC ones, and I also think that they, like so many others, took the simple route of comparing it solely to The Dark Knight and thus treating it as though it simply didn't stand a chance against Ledger's Joker.

Sigh. :?
The only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased. Unprejudiced. Fair.

All of my friends and family who have seen TDKRises were mesmerized by what they saw and they loved the conclusion to Nolans Bat trilogy! More than half said, they liked it better than the TDK.

Only two out of around 25 family and friends who I know have saw the film...said they thought the movie dragged in the beginning.

Other than that. No negative comments. :twothumbsup:
Last edited by DKnight007 on August 3rd, 2012, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Bad Harv wrote:
Joeyjojo72 wrote:Nolan movies are made to appeal to a very broad audience. He's a commercial director who makes movies that appeal to all four quadrants.
I agree with these statements...
Joeyjojo72 wrote:But he's not a PTA or a Lynch or an Aronokfsy or a Kubrick. He has different goals for his movies.
...But I'll be the first to call bullsh*t on these statements. Nolan is an exceptionally modest director -- this includes, of course, the way in which he lives his life, such as his strict refusal to own a cellphone and his admission that a second unit on any of his films would be superfluous, as he likes to oversee each and every shot himself -- but modesty, general mass appeal, and an old-world film philosophy that harkens back to the Golden Age of Hollywood doesn't just mean he belongs alongside the likes of Kubrick and Lynch, it also means (in my opinion) that he would definitely have to come before Aronofsky and P.T. Anderson. Nolan has, in essence, established himself as the director of the new millennium, and he has (arguably) the best overall track record in terms of pure consistency out of any big-name directors that I can think of in the last, oh, at least twenty-five years or more. And I would also argue, for the sake of example, that The Prestige could easily fit the bill as a "niche/genre" film, one in which style and substance were the focal points of the film, although it still retains the qualities inherent in being a film that could entertain a larger audience than, say, Aronofsky's The Fountain or Anderson's Magnolia. I don't disagree with what you're saying entirely, but I think certain factors about his position as an influential director need to be taken into account in relation to other contemporary (and classic) directors.

As for the reactions to The Dark Knight Rises from my friends ... well, many of the people I know are self-acclaimed comic book/film fanatics, but they've all found reasons to not like this film. Some verbatim examples include:
Friend 1 wrote:Just saw "Dark Knight Rises" or as I like to call it "Batman's Disastrous Voyage on the HMS Metaphor."
Friend 2 wrote:Saw "The Dark Knight Rises" tonight. I liked it, but I also like being surprised in movies I've been waiting this long for.
Friend 3 wrote:Finally saw the dark night rises. Way to end it with a fizzle Nolan.
In conclusion, I've come to realize that all three of these friends hugely prefer Marvel films to DC ones, and I also think that they, like so many others, took the simple route of comparing it solely to The Dark Knight and thus treating it as though it simply didn't stand a chance against Ledger's Joker.

Sigh. :?

Your friends are in the very small minority bro when it comes to not liking this film. Then again they like dumbed down kiddie fodder Marvel films. haha :roll:

Yeah.
Do you... like pineapple?

Not really. Whilst they don't prefer it to TDK they still consider it an amazing film.