Color Grading The Dark Knight Rises

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Can anyone explain the color grading effect from the DKR? I was watching trailers and the final footage looks...really natural. While a lot of other films today have their certain or specific "look'' when graded..this film seems to look beautiful, but normal. Any ideas on what they did?

Jesusfreak wrote:Can anyone explain the color grading effect from the DKR? I was watching trailers and the final footage looks...really natural. While a lot of other films today have their certain or specific "look'' when graded..this film seems to look beautiful, but normal. Any ideas on what they did?
Avoided turning everything blue and orange like most mainstream films, opting for more natural tones.

George wrote:
Jesusfreak wrote:Can anyone explain the color grading effect from the DKR? I was watching trailers and the final footage looks...really natural. While a lot of other films today have their certain or specific "look'' when graded..this film seems to look beautiful, but normal. Any ideas on what they did?
Avoided turning everything blue and orange like most mainstream films, opting for more natural tones.
Thank you...makes total sense. I've recently (about 6 months ago) realized the old "orange and teal'' grade that mainstream films are pumping out. Honestly..it's really refreshing to see a film that doesn't go for that. I like seeing white people look white with mild midtones pushed up and not full blown orange.

I personally love the way Nolan films are graded! The shadows are slightly dropped they midtones are dropped more and the. To compensate the highlights are brought up. This allows the contrast to be mostly in the midtones, the skin is reddish and the image is natural because this was only adjusting the gamma. Then a Kodak film print is added adding slightly more contrast and there is some orange teal push but not a lot. The natural white daylight moves toward teal and warmer colors look either white or warm. This look is generally in the dark knight trilogy and inception! :)

I grade the color an A+

I think TDKR might my favorite of the trilogy color grading and cinematography wise.

John@Angeljackets wrote:What if Arrow makes his Cameo in Batman V Superman?
He won't.