Editing Critisisms

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Zez
Even some shots from the trails got cut:
Like when Ward turns around, it cuts. In the trailers, he turns and drops the ball. The shot of Batman atop the tower looking out at the sunrise gets cut fast also. It's these few seconds of beats that really make the scenes. It let's the audience take in every part of the frame.

Zez wrote:Even some shots from the trails got cut:
Like when Ward turns around, it cuts. In the trailers, he turns and drops the ball. The shot of Batman atop the tower looking out at the sunrise gets cut fast also. It's these few seconds of beats that really make the scenes. It let's the audience take in every part of the frame.
Yes, I thought the scene with Batman atop the tower went by way too fast! Compare it to the one in The Dark Knight, which takes so much more time in its pan across the skyline. And that's a signature shot that everyone expects to be in the movie. There's no reason to truncate it or you might as well not include it.

Great idea for a thread ! Big ups !

Personally, the first time I saw it, I felt the whole thing was edited a bit too fast for my liking.
I loved the film, but felt that too many shots had a real "blink and you miss them " feel.

However, on the second viewing, I picked up lots that I missed first time, and the whole thing seemed
to scan better.
Some of you have mentioned fast editing in Inception, and to be honest I don't notice anymore because
I saw Inception about 10x in the cinema and about 1000 times after that on DVD ( I admit, I put in on in the
background if I can't sleep, or I need ambient noise),
Let's face it Nolan films require multiple viewings, case in point, the prestige. You definitely need a second look
at that one, with all its twists and turns (and of course David Bowie as Tesla !)

The first Bane/Batman fight I thought was perfectly cut and paced, you could feel every blow. The rematch should
have slowed down another notch so we can really savour Batman's righteous fury and vindication. If you blink, you
miss the tube getting knocked out of Bane's mouth.

And I completely agree that we need a bit more of the background fighting in the cops vs mercs battle. We know that Batman defeats Bane, but the conflict around them needs a bit more shape (well, okay it's chaos, like a real riot) but as
a storytelling point it would help to see which side had the upper hand and how they got it ( we get the feeling the cops are winning but we're not sure).

When Batman opens fire on the bomb -truck a bit slower pacing would let us react to each cannon blast as it hit the
truck, its almost as if it crashes by sheer luck, rather than being forced off the road. Same with Selina's demolition of the
Tumblers. There's an abruptness that doesn't let us savour their destruction.

Okay on that note, what about the lingering death shot. We see Foley's corpse and the camera lingers for a beat. would be good to see the Tumblers explode and crash, also Bane ! We see Bane blasted across the room, and there's a very quick shot of a hole in his chest but a quick camera glance at his corpse would give us a little more satisfaction in his death (that prick
had it coming big time, so give us the emotional payoff as an audience).

Now of course after I've seen the film 1000 times, I will no longer protest any of these issues, but I agree with those who
say that the film had a slightly rushed feel to it, and was not quite as seamless as the cinematography in TDK (and actually
I found inception pretty seamless the first time too).

Still despite that it's a magnificent epic and a perfect ending to the trilogy ! Nolan is the man !