Criticisms of The Dark Knight Rises? (spoilers)

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
While most of us were likely blown away by the film- I was, there's always a number of criticisms.

- First and foremost (and this is a much cited criticism), the film seems to have at the very least, 15-20 minutes cut out, especially around the second act. Three months pass in what seems like minutes, without much in the way of showing the building of the resistance, but more importantly, the lack of seeing what the general citizens of Gotham thought of Bane's rule. We get a line of dialogue from Selina's friend about how she likes the 'freedom' Bane's given to the citizens, but that's it. It would've been an interesting direction if many citizens responded positively, and the audience was forced to question if Batman 'should' even return.

- Another huge one, almost as big as the first, was the briefness of the action. The wallstreet fight lasted only two minutes (or so it felt like), then the climactic final chase wasn't only extraordinarily brief, but almost sort of lame in a sense. One tumbler fires at The Bat, misses, another shoots missiles. The rest of the chase is The Bat dodging the missiles, the Batpod destroying the tumblers with relative ease without them putting up much of a fight, just sort of ...driving there while they get blown up. The Bat comes back, shoots at the big truck a bunch until it falls through the opening. The tumblers can fire off the ground, and in each of the other chases, jump/fly over shit, the batpod jumps/flies over shit + does tons of cool stuff. In the final chase of the film, the climax, they don't do any of those things whatsoever. From an action standpoint, I can't help but feel disappointed. Also, unless I'm incorrect, this shot wasn't used in the film, nor was this angle of the fight at all. http://www.homeofthenutty.com/movies/sc ... play_media

- The Tate/Bruce relationship felt a little forced and contrived, and it was further undermined by the sizzling chemistry between Hathaway and Bale.

-Vader

apw
The Catwoman on the Bat-Pod coming down the stairs didn't make the final cut nor did Foley being hit by the tumbler.

I also wished Nolan had stayed on the shot of Batman looking over Gotham from high up for longer. The shot passed so quickly. It could have felt like an iconic shot.
Last edited by apw on July 20th, 2012, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NOT ENOUGH JOKER!!!

apw wrote:The Catwoman on the Bat-Pod coming down the stairs didn't make the final cut nor did Foley being hit by the tumbler.

I also wished Nolan had stayed on the shot of Batman looking over Gotham from high up for a couple of seconds. The shot passed so quickly. I could have felt like an iconic shot.
What? I was looking forward to that scene!

Vader182 wrote:While most of us were likely blown away by the film- I was, there's always a number of criticisms.

- First and foremost (and this is a much cited criticism), the film seems to have at the very least, 15-20 minutes cut out, especially around the second act. Three months pass in what seems like minutes, without much in the way of showing the building of the resistance, but more importantly, the lack of seeing what the general citizens of Gotham thought of Bane's rule. We get a line of dialogue from Selina's friend about how she likes the 'freedom' Bane's given to the citizens, but that's it. It would've been an interesting direction if many citizens responded positively, and the audience was forced to question if Batman 'should' even return.

- Another huge one, almost as big as the first, was the briefness of the action. The wallstreet fight lasted only two minutes (or so it felt like), then the climactic final chase wasn't only extraordinarily brief, but almost sort of lame in a sense. One tumbler fires at The Bat, misses, another shoots missiles. The rest of the chase is The Bat dodging the missiles, the Batpod destroying the tumblers with relative ease without them putting up much of a fight, just sort of ...driving there while they get blown up. The Bat comes back, shoots at the big truck a bunch until it falls through the opening. The tumblers can fire off the ground, and in each of the other chases, jump/fly over shit, the batpod jumps/flies over shit + does tons of cool stuff. In the final chase of the film, the climax, they don't do any of those things whatsoever. From an action standpoint, I can't help but feel disappointed. Also, unless I'm incorrect, this shot wasn't used in the film, nor was this angle of the fight at all. http://www.homeofthenutty.com/movies/sc ... play_media

- The Tate/Bruce relationship felt a little forced and contrived, and it was further undermined by the sizzling chemistry between Hathaway and Bale.

-Vader
1) I agree, in part. It felt weird to fell the anarchy that had invaded Gotham because of this reason. But I wouldn't have liked the citizens reacting positively, that would have hurt the plot and Batman's cause.

2) I didn't mind the amount of action but the quality of the action. The villains' fate (specially Bane's) were too fast and anti-climatic.

3) I also felt so, but I didn't mind at all.

Another critisism I have is that the character of Bane looked uninteresting for a villain, specially in the final act. Everything with him was too fast.

Also...
I Miss The Joker! :lol: :P
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

Red Hood wrote:
apw wrote:The Catwoman on the Bat-Pod coming down the stairs didn't make the final cut nor did Foley being hit by the tumbler.

I also wished Nolan had stayed on the shot of Batman looking over Gotham from high up for a couple of seconds. The shot passed so quickly. I could have felt like an iconic shot.
What? I was looking forward to that scene!

Yeah.
Foley's death was very anticlimactic, completely shitting on what could have been a redemptive character arc

didich wrote:
Vader182 wrote:While most of us were likely blown away by the film- I was, there's always a number of criticisms.

-Vader
1) I agree, in part. It felt weird to fell the anarchy that had invaded Gotham because of this reason. But I wouldn't have liked the citizens reacting positively, that would have hurt the plot and Batman's cause.

2) I didn't mind the amount of action but the quality of the action. The villains' fate (specially Bane's) were too fast and anti-climatic.

Another critisism I have is that the character of Bane looked uninteresting for a villain, specially in the final act. Everything with him was too fast.

Also...
He looked uninteresting as a villain? :| Did you see what he fucking did to Batman in that fight?

The Tate/Bruce relationship felt a little forced and contrived
I felt that with both relationships honestly.

CaliKid329 wrote:NOT ENOUGH JOKER!!!
Not enough Pvt. Joker

Based4Life wrote:
didich wrote:

Also...
He looked uninteresting as a villain? :| Did you see what he fucking did to Batman in that fight?

I think Bane (for 99% of the film) was so damned cool, calm, and collected, that he could seem "uninteresting" to someone expecting something different. I loved him.