[SPOILERS] Plot Holes

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
i agree that you have to apply some suspension of disbelief to accept a lot of the things that happen but not a lot of what you described would i say are out-and-out plot holes. like someone said i don't know if you're really allowing for the time passage that is actually happening in the movie; the major factor that you have to realize is that in Chris Nolan's film grammar (and it's been this way ever since Following and it's something he addresses explicitly in that film's commentary), he doesn't use a lot of fades and especially cross-dissolves for scene transitions or to communicate passage of time but instead tries to do that through details. just because a shot cuts directly to another shot doesn't mean there couldn't have been a great deal of time that passed in the film's story between those two shots--and i know you probably know that but it's not necessarily the language of filmmaking that we're more acclimated to (but i myself prefer it as i'm a big cross-dissolve hater). i think it may be more jarring in TDKR on first viewing than some of Nolan's other films because there is SO MUCH going on with so many different narrative threads and because the time span of the film's story is much greater than any of Nolan's other films except for maybe The Prestige (but then The Prestige had a much simpler plot and was only focused on a couple characters). but when i think about it i think i found that movies like BB, TDK, Inception, Memento...they were all a little jarring and awkward in their flows (Memento not just for the obvious reasons) on first viewing but once your brain was familiarized with the complex stories those movies told they were much less jarring on repeat viewings, and i'm hoping the same holds true for TDKR.

CaliKid329 wrote:
JONATHAN3D wrote:I understand the explanation given in the film, but this particular scene will definitely be picked apart by established opponents of Christopher Nolan:
GCPD letting Bane on a motorbike drive right past them.
They didn't care about Bane at that point. The main focus was on getting Batman after 8 years of being gone.
I know that. I said I understood why that happened. But I feel that people (trolls) will tear that apart.

The film features a LOT of cinematic shorthand, and Nolan expects the viewer to fill in a lot of the things not explicitly shown or explained onscreen. Whether it works for you or not is going to vary from viewer to viewer.

Two interesting examples:
Bruce returning to Gotham and knowing about the reactor core's countdown timing. How the hell did he get back to the city with all the bridges down (except one heavily guarded one)? And how did he know how much time was left on the reactor, as he hadn't talked to Fox yet?
My take on them:
The first one I'm willing to give the film; the trilogy's established, very well, Bruce's ability to travel globally without ID and to get into and out of hard to access places. It's the second thing that felt a bit sloppy or lazy to me. Bruce does not appear to have talked to anyone before approaching Selina; there's no way for him to know there's only a matter of hours left on the core's countdown.

i was thinking:
it's a stretch but since he was following what was happening in Gotham on the TV wouldn't he have known about when the core was removed from the reactor, due to the announcement at the football game? since he worked on the project it is believable enough that he would be able to calculate the time remaining.

There's only one thing I would say:
Why was Tala not in the Dojo when Bruce was being trained their?
Other than that, I think there are a couple of little niggles, but nothing big.

It is clear from the film itself that
Bruce Wayne survives.
I only wish Nolan had more time to add to the final scenes. (Maybe on DVD!)

What I REALLY would like to know is
how did Bruce get back to Gotham from way out at sea. Did he have a remote control Bat-speedboat pick him up? He had to have jumped WAY before the bomb blew so he wouldn't be affected by fallout, so he was probably closer to Gotham, but still. . . .

JMan wrote:It is clear from the film itself that
Bruce Wayne survives.
I only wish Nolan had more time to add to the final scenes. (Maybe on DVD!)

What I REALLY would like to know is
how did Bruce get back to Gotham from way out at sea. Did he have a remote control Bat-speedboat pick him up? He had to have jumped WAY before the bomb blew so he wouldn't be affected by fallout, so he was probably closer to Gotham, but still. . . .

I was joking to my friends afterwards that
he swam all the way back to Gotham in full body armor. :lol:

SilverHeart wrote:I was joking to my friends afterwards that
He could have done it. And you know why?
BECAUSEE HEE'SSS BAATMAN!
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

Same plot holes at TDK in the sense that you have to suspend your disbelief to movie the film along.

Like Jaws.

Jaws is just one giant plot hole. But that's what makes it so fun.

didich wrote:
SilverHeart wrote:I was joking to my friends afterwards that
He could have done it. And you know why?
BECAUSEE HEE'SSS BAATMAN!
My sentiments exactly.