NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Something interesting occurred during my 6th viewing of Rises this past Friday at Navy Pier.

On the previous five, the imagery of ghostly empty streets ruled by barricades around barbed wire, manned by armed militants, and supported by a massive army of society's irate featuring neo-tanks and a device capable of obliterating an expansive and great city bore a lasting power, especially as my friends and I walked through one of the busiest and biggest cities in the world following the first two viewings.

However, on the 6th (and probably final) viewing of The Dark Knight Rises, the aforementioned imagery grew in impact, and became substantially more striking and uncomfortable, becoming one of the weightiest indicators of Bane's plan.

A few weeks ago I moved into an apartment in Chicago to attend a university, and have been greatly enjoying walking around this wonderful city, engaging in its nightlife and many opportunities for enjoyment or entertainment. After spending only a few weeks here and witnessing the incessant jam-packed streets in constant motion -especially during the day, and the juxtaposition from the normality of daily life to the film's staggering imagery of a city under occupancy, it became all the more clear Nolan's intentions to tap into the un-obvious devices and objects the viewer will feel complacency and comfort towards and twist the knife and capsize the viewer to discomfort and alarm.

This echoes his sentiments of setting a stage for drama by using "what worries us", utilizing his innate understanding of the human condition and its psychology.

Though subtle and simple, the psychological exploitation of the audience is one of the many reasons Nolan's as profound a filmmaker as he is, and it will likely become one of the conventions commonly associated with his catalogue of films.

-Vader

Lionhart99 wrote:
sgttom wrote: Bruce Wayne seemed too gullible. He trusted Catwomen and Miranda for no apparent reason. Catwoman was criminal and he hardly knew Miranda. It seemed like he could have done a thorough background check on Miranda. Trusting a criminal like Catwoman just seemed unwise.

I guess they could have explained why this or that happened in order to clear things up alot more; but that would ultimately mean that it would take up much more screen time and the film is already sitting at a whooping 164 minutes so I think Nolan did the best that he could, taking all the time constraints into consideration.

although i must admit, even i found the sequence of bane having gotham on lockdown and the ensuing dialogues with the US president and the military leaders to be an embarrassing exercise.
given how 'realisticly' the film plays out, the this sequences was just ridiculously executed.
I think nolan already spent enough time trying to explain all of the exposition; to explain every single detail about how this or that happened would be overdoing it.
I see what your saying. The movie did feel like there was almost too much going on to fit into one film.

Somethings about Character developments and writing, there has been lot of complaints about character development and poor writing but I think its wrong!!

Just because Gordon and Alfred didnt played pivotal role in this movie means its badly written, its not necessary to have same character developments in every movie.

Why the writing is good!!

1. John Blake - Great writing by grounding the character of Robin into this movie, having in him qualities of all the Robins just shows how well they know these characters.

Now about Blake's reveal of Batman - his dialogue had symbolic meaning that literal meaning that "I saw you and recognized Batman" no, it meant he saw there is something more about Bruce Wayne that everybody overlooks because of his billionaire playboy fake life.
What you wanted? Hey I investigated Dent's murder and found you were Batman, well it wont work, Nolan did great job into making Batman's reveal as symbolic rather than just plain dialogue

2. Selina Kyle - Some people are saying she was not Catwoman? Well she is the closest incarnation of Selina Kyle from earliest comics. Grounded perfectly in the world of Chris Nolan's Gotham City as cat-burglar as well as adding dimension to character of Selina Kyle as a Robinhood type figure showing humanity in her than just a thief or just female fatale, not only does it develops Selina Kyle but also shows what Gotham City has become where rich is getting richer and poor is getting poorer.

3. Bruce Wayne/Batman - We see Bruce Wayne has retired, he is not Batman anymore! He is not Batman because he is not needed anymore "When Gordon and Dent cleaned up street they cleaned them god". Bruce became recluse not because Rachel died but because he couldnt gave the world what he wanted to, he failed in his clean energy project.

Jonathan Nolan on Batman This will be Batman’s true test of being a hero where he has to confront his “darkest fears being taking all the way to edge” and how does he come back from that.

The suffering of the innocent, the equality of suffering is at the heart of this film, and it reminds me, in particular, of King Lear. Lear is stripped of his crown and his retinue of knights; Wayne is stripped of his fortune and tossed into the pit, just like Lear is.

The most fulfilling and resonant part of the film, to me, lies in his ascent, out of the pit, unafraid of death, unafraid of Bane, and, for the first time in so long, as he drifts below the horizon of that bay the great man's suffering comes to an end. I don't know who said it, but it's a popular quote: 'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' It's true for Bruce and Bruce knew it. When he's told that he has given the city everything, he replies not yet.

Not only does Bruce Wayne needed to be courageous but also needed to have the impulse of fear to push him harder, the thought of failing made him push all the way, not only to make the climb but also to defeat Bane.

We saw Batman being compared to Caesar in TDK now here as the poster suggests it compares Bruce Wayne with King Lear.

4. Alfred - In this movie Alfred is not just Butler of Bruce Wayne but more father figure in this movie. He leaves Bruce not because he wants to but he feels guilt for hiding the truth which instead of saving has made him hollow. Yeah people may say Alfred said "Neverrrr" but Alfred is not leaving Bruce but Bruce wants him to go away, Bruce cant forgive Alfred and he himself feels guilt.

So I dont see how it contradicts anything Alfred said in BB and TDK.

After all that happened in the trilogy, in the end Bruce owed Alfred something and he gave that to him.

5. Brilliant Writing -

1. Grounding characters like Bane, Robin, Selina Kyle in a world where they feel real, yes there are people like Robin and Selina in real world.

2. As I pointed above huge character developments

3. Amalgam of so many great novels and making it into a good story which feels real -The Dark Knight Returns, No Mans Land, KnightFall, A Tale of 2 Cities. Never has a real world novel being used in a comic book movie just shows there is more to the characters like Batman and Robin and Gordon than just comic books. These characters are larger than life now!!

4. Small references and winks, bringing things full circle.(I dont think I need to point out small references.

5. Joker's dialogues were lucky?? but how did Nolan got dialogues of Bane so right?? :crazy: Because he is a damn good writer!!

6. Another instance of clever writing was making audience fool that Bane is the child of Ra's Al Ghul, most of the audience were fooled by this (yeah we were spoiled by set pics) but still provided shock value for casual movie goers.

6. Justification of Ending - Batman lived?? people disappointed :o :o :o

Nolan achieved everything by this ending -

a. Bruce Wayne lived happily, moved on from pain and suffering (he did sacrificed whatever belonged to him to save his city)

b. Batman became symbol of hope, Batman inspired people

c. Gotham got its new protector Robin john Blake, he will learn, he has the resources now and will be detective side of Batman.

I didn't know having your protagonist conquer his greatest threat and all the while going through a catharsis that makes him realize his life of obsession needs to end at some point--which effectively wraps up his long journey--make a story not an epic.
Epics can be reduced and formulate to something that always have the main character fight to death or as long as he physically can?

What could killing Batman would have achieved??
Cheap Shock value

I want to give all the Nolan Fans a little test to try out...go back and watch all 3 trailers of TDKR and tell me if the same feeling of "darkness" and "epicness" you felt during the trailers matched up with the movie after seeing it. I don't think they lined up. I felt like the overall tone of the trailers were completely different with the overall tone of the movie. I feel like there were so many more "WOW" moments in BB and TDK than there was in TDKR. The only parts in TDKR that I was like "Man I want to rewind that and watch it again" were the scene where Batman fights/meets Bane for the first time and when you see the tunnels getting blown up from the 'arial view' of the city. Those 2 scenes gave me chills. It's almost as I felt that Nolan could have gone the 'extra mile' in certain parts of the movie.The story is of course good, and there are plenty of other scenes that I liked but I just felt a little let down. And here's one thing that I don't think many people are talking about...

Since this was the LAST batman movie Nolan was doing, it would be interesting to see how much of an influence Warner Brother's had on the ending/making of this movie. I know the company has given Nolan so much room and flexibility to work on all his films and they definitely trust him, but you know WB had to be somewhat of an impact. More than other film's because they know they are losing Nolan and want to continue the series at a later date. The ending was great, but I just feel like Nolan might have chosen a different route. That's just a gut feeling. I could be way off, and WB maybe let him have all the flexibility in the world. After seeing it 4 times and I will probably go see it 1 last time before it hits Blu-Ray, my final rating for it would be a 7/10.

i dont think wb forced nolan into anything imho. i think bruce overcoming his pain is fullfilling his character arc.
Nolanite14 wrote:I want to give all the Nolan Fans a little test to try out...go back and watch all 3 trailers of TDKR and tell me if the same feeling of "darkness" and "epicness" you felt during the trailers matched up with the movie after seeing it. I don't think they lined up. I felt like the overall tone of the trailers were completely different with the overall tone of the movie. I feel like there were so many more "WOW" moments in BB and TDK than there was in TDKR. The only parts in TDKR that I was like "Man I want to rewind that and watch it again" were the scene where Batman fights/meets Bane for the first time and when you see the tunnels getting blown up from the 'arial view' of the city. Those 2 scenes gave me chills. It's almost as I felt that Nolan could have gone the 'extra mile' in certain parts of the movie.The story is of course good, and there are plenty of other scenes that I liked but I just felt a little let down. And here's one thing that I don't think many people are talking about...

Since this was the LAST batman movie Nolan was doing, it would be interesting to see how much of an influence Warner Brother's had on the ending/making of this movie. I know the company has given Nolan so much room and flexibility to work on all his films and they definitely trust him, but you know WB had to be somewhat of an impact. More than other film's because they know they are losing Nolan and want to continue the series at a later date. The ending was great, but I just feel like Nolan might have chosen a different route. That's just a gut feeling. I could be way off, and WB maybe let him have all the flexibility in the world. After seeing it 4 times and I will probably go see it 1 last time before it hits Blu-Ray, my final rating for it would be a 7/10.

Hi there riddick! I c u've migrated over from imdb

riddick-danish wrote:
1. John Blake - Great writing by grounding the character of Robin into this movie, having in him qualities of all the Robins just shows how well they know these characters.

Now about Blake's reveal of Batman - his dialogue had symbolic meaning that literal meaning that "I saw you and recognized Batman" no, it meant he saw there is something more about Bruce Wayne that everybody overlooks because of his billionaire playboy fake life.
What you wanted? Hey I investigated Dent's murder and found you were Batman, well it wont work, Nolan did great job into making Batman's reveal as symbolic rather than just plain dialogue
Those are my feelings exactly. I think it is commentary on how no one can ever figure out who Batman is...it's because they're not looking closely enough. Because the moment the thought crosses their minds that it may be Bruce Wayne, they see him diving into a pool in a hotel lobby with supermodels, and they immediately dismiss him. Everyone is only looking at the surface, but John Blake, through empathy and shared experience, is able to look on the inside, which no one else is willing to do. It works as a tidy and subtle commentary on why no one can figure it out. It also offers a twist on the big statement from Begins, It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

white knight rebirth,forever

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dark Knight Rises. The original series of Batman were started with the inspiration from The Mark of Zorro where Diego transforms into a powerful Zorro. Diego had to use persona of Zorro when protecting the country because he could not do it as pure Zorro himself. In Korea, there is Gaksital, and using and changing these kinds of forms, there is Batman.

Trend of the early series by Tim Burton was his unique dreamlike distinctive characteristic, and with that, it was a bit darker and different from other heroes like lonely dark heroes. It was also supported as it was a good example of turning shadowed, dark part of humans into virtue. After, 34... let’s forget that. Anyway, what was Nolan trying to say? Why did the director used the title Dark Knight after Batman Begins? Of course it was a dark hero, but Nolan changed the meaning and symbols of Batman itself to his own styles. And I dare to say that what Nolan wanted to say was not about darkness. That was, I think, a light that looks like darkness, a misunderstood knight and a white knight who endured that fate. The catwoman says that there is no light, and does not understand why he goes into danger to save and protect, but the Batman says that he has not given everything yest.

Wayne’s dissipated appearance which came from spending his youth without his parents and facing many crimes in Gotham city hides the his self who studies the new energy and who endlessly supports the orphan. We admire him because he endures his agony, feels pity to those similar to himself, and facing Bane as Batman.

Bruce says he has a hope with Rachel and dreams Gotham city with peace, without crimes, even there is no Batman or no dark hero with a mask on. However, Rachel says that there is no such thing but if there is, she will be with Batman as a friend.
Wayne loved Rachel, but he knew he knew his situations with agony and darkness, so he chose Harvey; and Bruce also admits Harvey and supports him with hope and symbol of light. Harvey was a kind of his successor who can protect Gotham like a guardian or protector. Gordon admits Harvey as well, and decides to face the rival monster Joker, who tries to corrupt Gotham city and Batman. But he was not so easy.

A white knight. Gotham city is wanted to be peaceful, full of love, with bright energy, but the world is not that easy. It is lucky not being a horrible pit when all the cliques and people who fight for their benefits and who are greedy exist in the world. But is that the way the world is? Is it just a predator cage where people kill and step on others to live? Joker only sees that part of the world, goes crazy, tests himself to prove, and ridicules Batman. But look what happened in two ships in Gotham. Corrupted Gotham represents all the cities existing now in the world.

The rich becomes the target of hatred to the poor, and the rich laughs at them. Look at Wayne before looking at Batman. He has a great amount of wealth. What we need to look at is not only the symbol of Batman but also what his dissipated appearance had inside, his research on new energy which is environmentally friendly and not related to the nuclear (It is an extremely dangerous field. This is really studies all over the world in the present, but it is a hot potato that is intervened by many unseen hands and has a lot of checks.), his love towards children and donations. These show that the rich are not just evil and that they have things to do with their wealth. The noble are to give rather than to receive. -Albert Camus-
Batman tried to teach children to catch fish, not just give them, so that they do not be poor again. The police who try to arrest Batman and the adults who balme him... But the children know it by instinct. “Will he really come back?” A loose design of bat that is painted with a white chalk. What does it symbolize? Why do children and we watch with beating hearts when he is just a outloaw, a darkness, or a bat? What does he speak for? The shadows we have as we are excluded, slandered and feud... The suppressed desires and emotions in us.... Maybe Batman shows that those things inside us can turn into something else through symbol and sacrifice, not they just take charge, defy and become crimes. Integration and coexistence... Something heroic noble-mindedness... Through fights with Joker in the second series, Batman takes what he can do as a villain and disappears into a long road in Gotham.

There is no rule, but there should be self-made rules inside. Of course, righteousness and law are rules. But it means that there are no rules that are demanded or dogmatically pressured, not that they are to be violated. Follow your own rules and “don’t be trapped by dogma”-Steve Jobs. Harvey could not be Batman or a hero because he made the rule depend on one coin. Joker did not miss that little gap. Harvey had the cause and desire towards justice, but had weaknesses, and Joker did not miss that. Batman saw the gap by instinct, but it was too late.

Disappeared Batman after retirement, Wayne’s crippled life, Catwoman who came to him when he was hurt because of loss of Rachel... What revived Batman faced after rehabilitation was another successor of Ras’ Al Ghul and Bane who is dark (If it is to choose black or white, it is always white for you in the end. It is your destruction because you met me who choose black without a haste.-Shishio Makoto) and has great power, in one. Batman, who fights against him, was once a hero of darkness who never defeats in one on one fight, but he, who became a new symbole of Batman, failed in a fight with a real dark hero Bane, and gets locked in a unescapable dungeon. Then Bane destroys the city, sinks Gothm into a chaos and a dark pit, and all the cops and protectors get trapped. Did Gotham deserve it? Was it a penalty? The boy who sings the anthem sorrowfully and the people full of the stadium represent us. There is Gotham in that boy’s beautiful voice. However, there is definitely noble-mindedness representing the US which protects it from the evil even though the ground sinks and there is the bad side of capitalism and corruption. But Bane tries to destroy even that.

Bruce was a hero as Dark Knight and Batman. However, white knight Harvey that he tried to protect corrupts in the end, and Wayne plays the villain to protect that symbolism and the hopes of Gotham citizen. The title of the last episode is, after all, Dark Knight Rises; however, what I saw was, I think, White Knight Reverse. In that dark cave, where no one could get out, he realized that he was depending on the rope even though he was not afraid of death at all, so he finally “rises” without the rope and gets out.-I, myself, dropped tears and gave a clap- Setting foot on the last extremity... At that moment, human is not walking on the ground, but is rising and flying the sky, and success at the last great moral discovery.- In the end, the new bat car flies the sky, and returned Batman moves us makes our hearts beat. Then Bane says “That doesn’t make sense” seeing the bat with burning buildings.
That bat is not a bad but a phoenix which is our immortal soul and the mystery of the universe moving lively.. If you have thought a dark knight as a darkness or an outlaw, you have misunderstood it and are totally wrong. You are to be ridiculed. Effort, sacrifice and symbolism that does not yield to misunderstanding or prejudice. What Wayne, who has all the heroic things we think of, is a phoenex which rises from the ashes, totall changing its shadows and negative parts in hopeless moment wihout a rope.

“The cops are hero, rookies who imitates Batman against the evil. We are all heroes” is what Wayne said in the movie. This means an awakening of the citizens and cops through their growths, changes of Gotham and hardship. Do you expect a saint, a redeemer, a dictator or a great king or a great solver to get ride of all the sufferings and agonies? Didn’t Gordon denounce the cops who ran away? Are you going to run away from it or face it?. We all should be heroes. I do not mean to interfere in everything. What is democracy? What does it mean by the public being master of the country? It doe not mean to do as one pleases, but we all should have our senses as masters, through votes and participation, and have the way we should head through positively changing the country. Of course we need the government or the leaders, but we should rather see them as spokesperson, respect them, give opinions with righteous, rational discussions and compromise, not just unconditionally follow them.
Within noble vote and complying with legality, and through civil complaints and social movements and legal, peaceful protests, wielding rights of liberty and happiness (obligation is basics). I think all can, one day, be heroes, masters and redeemers to selves or others, within the borders they belong to, in the coming era. Maybe when the day comes, Batman will be no longer needed.

Batman changes from a dark knight to a while knight after the last hardship. What he could do following the phoenix, it was taking the dangerous nuclear weapon to the sea by himself, alone. That look. That sacrifice..... What did the blank looking children, who foolishly did not move because of customs and orders, see and think on that bridge? The look of the bat painting with a chalk...that white and white bat... The white bat which always came out at the last part of the trailer....that white bat.... That white bat which embroidered with buildings on the posters.... The lines did not come out in the movie, but what Nolan wanted to say was maybe the white knight reverse. Instead of corrupted Harvey, Batman, the dark knight, grew up once more, and it was the light which broke the darkness which was the results of enduring all the attacks, prejudice and misunderstanding, and the trust, belief through sacrifice and fights; and it was the light was a ray of light logos coming from the chaos and the sea. Maybe he was trying to present that...

The cops who changed their thoughts after looking him. The citizens who survived from the cruel destruction. And the children who saw the Batman’s lonely explosion and his look on the sea. The future of Gotham with those people will be different.
The crowd on that bridge must have instantly believed that Gotham will be something different after that explosion, and I dare to trust that hope. Maybe humans think that there is a world where everybody understands one another.

However, the most important thing is to trust-Naruto- like he said, I believe that there will be a day without Batman, without crimes and fights. The idealty always wins... Have people ever dreamt of democracy when it was all absolute monarchy in the past? There are many different kinds of idealities, but if people do not forget the noble-mindedness, sacrifice and public interest; try to change the dark knight into a goodness; and endure misunderstanding, jealousy and prejudice like a phoenix, it ignites the fire in our hearts and rises...... Everyone as a white knight makes the world where children, weak and strong people can live with peace.

Thank you, Nolan, for doing it. I will not forget it.

-white knight rebirth, forever.-

watched the movie
perfect direction & no remarks
but ummmm.....
some ups and down with the story & def. with the speed , intensity compared to the dark knight
:judge:

What exactly stopped people in the pit from not using the rope to climb to the middle of the pit? Like rope climbing I mean. This is still not perfectly clear to me.

Why don't they just hold on to the rope on the left instead of climbing up on a wall?