NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
I have been a lurker here for quite some time. I've never posted or even wanted to register although I love this site, but a few days after watching the movie I was overcome with what I had just witnessed in the cinema. Like some of us once I got home from my midnight screening in IMAX I started to read the reviews and then Aurora happened.
How I envisioned this weekend did not pan out like I thought for four years. So I spent the next few days like most people mourning the victims of Aurora and hating this monster who I wont even waste mentioning.
So on the Monday I started to really think about that Friday midnight showing of TDKR. One thing that would come to my mind over and over again was that I had never had a physical reaction to a movie like I had for The Dark Knight Rises. The sick feeling I had in the first Batman vs Bane fight, The emotional confrontation of Alfred and Bruce, The return of the Batman, Bruce getting out of the pit, Batman beating Bane and me literally yelling as Batman kicked Bane through the doors, listening to my girlfriend gasp as Talia is revealed and oh those last 5 min, I never sat still. I remember in the middle of the movie wanting to tell my girlfriend that if this movie ended right now it would still be perfect.
I started to think about some of the reviews I read during the week and later all the Monday morning quarterbacking some of us were doing in various websites . I also was to blame because what I did was start to nip pick the movie from what I was reading, and actually convinced myself that there was something wrong with this movie, almost forgetting that first amazing night.....almost.

The first night is why I go to watch movies and love the escapism it provides me. What I almost did was try to bring down the movie to the level of what goes on in everyday life. So I spent the weekend with my daughters and watch them as they ran through hours of there favorite movies and the innocence and love they have for them and then it all came back to me..The 12 year old boy who loves Batman.
This movie to me was perfect and I will never forget that magical first night and how myself, my girlfriend and the audience were so involved. The standing ovation with the thunderous applause the film got in the end. That to me will always be the true review of the movie...what I felt and witness that special night.

Just wanna say I'm psyched to see this again tomorrow. Can't fucking wait.

Finally I watched it yesterday at Imax!

Ok, I will watch it again tomorrow but for now this is not better than TDK.
I'm not sure what bother me about the movie but is not as perfect as TDK (or Memento or The Prestige).
I love the ending: Perfect (almost cry, very emotional).
I think is about the whole
Miranda/Talia thing
But every second that I think about the movie I love it more and more. Not even care about plot holes or whatever.
Right now I give it a 9/10

natalie wrote:Finally I watched it yesterday at Imax!

I'm not sure what bother me about the movie but is not as perfect as TDK (or Memento or The Prestige).
Miranda/Talia thing
But every second that I think about the movie I love it more and more. Not even care about plot holes or whatever.
:twothumbsup:

Miranda/Talia thing
Definitely think you should see it a second time. I liked it far less than you my first time and the second viewing still made me love it. I still like TDK more but this movie gets better with multiple viewings.

I think Nolan throws way more at the viewer pretty much nonstop than in any of his other films in multiple facets- narrative, character, spectacle, so to absorb it all on one (or even two) viewings is almost impossible. It's such a wonderfully dense film, rewatches are highly rewarding.

-Vader

ComptonTerry wrote:

Miranda/Talia thing
Definitely think you should see it a second time. I liked it far less than you my first time and the second viewing still made me love it. I still like TDK more but this movie gets better with multiple viewings.
Tomorrow night at Imax for the second time. And I still excited to see it again. Can't wait, really.

Robbman wrote:
thedisabledcubicle wrote:On second thoughts, and in accumulating the scenes which made me face-palm, I've taken my rating from 7 to 6 out of 10. Most ambitious of the trilogy, but the most baffling. Simple editing errors, poor plot-choices, too many logical fallicies and hammy acting are inexcusable.

http://www.thedisabledcubicle.com/the-d ... rises-2012
I liked your review and think it's a fair one, but I don't completely agree with large parts of it, if that makes sense. It's not that you're off base, but I also think much of what you find fault with about have been issues in all three films. It's just the nature of the material. What I will say about it is that Nolan wasn't as effective in his use and explanation of many of these plot devices. As much as I like the ending to this film, I can't deny that towards the end there's a lot that got shoehorned in and it felt forced. I would have loved to see more out of Talia after she revealed herself. To hear more of her and her Dad.

I gave this film an 8 out of 10. Very satisfying experience but has more flaws than the previous installments. I just think it tries to do too much. I don't want to see this version of Batman continue after Nolan. If they want to use Levitt in the role, it needs to be in a reboot and as Bruce Wayne. The world has become too constrained over three movies and I want a new creative team to have all the villains at their disposal, and to have the Batman that we all love.
I have to disagree with this. Anyone who is familiar with the TV series Batman Beyond would be able to tell you that this movie could possibly act as the perfect lead-up to a movie version of that. If you're not familiar with Batman Beyond I suggest checking out a few episodes. It's basically set in a futuristic Gotham City with a much older Bruce Wayne mentoring a younger guy (in this case, Blake) while he takes over the Batman persona. I remember watching several episodes and thought it captured the essence of Batman while at the same time presenting a fresh and unique vision of the character. It's generally highly regarded among the Batman fan base and would make a great film IMO.

If WB ever goes this route however, I really hope they somehow retain Nolan (even if it's in a consulting role) and get some valuable input from him. With the right direction, it could really be something special.

anakin234 wrote:
I have to disagree with this. Anyone who is familiar with the TV series Batman Beyond would be able to tell you that this movie could possibly act as the perfect lead-up to a movie version of that. If you're not familiar with Batman Beyond I suggest checking out a few episodes. It's basically set in a futuristic Gotham City with a much older Bruce Wayne mentoring a younger guy (in this case, Blake) while he takes over the Batman persona. I remember watching several episodes and thought it captured the essence of Batman while at the same time presenting a fresh and unique vision of the character. It's generally highly regarded among the Batman fan base and would make a great film IMO.

If WB ever goes this route however, I really hope they somehow retain Nolan (even if it's in a consulting role) and get some valuable input from him. With the right direction, it could really be something special.
It would not work as a major motion picture. You have to stick with certain basics. A batman beyond adaptation would be too 'out there'.

Also, I wasn't saying they couldn't do a direct sequel, just that they shouldn't. I get the potential setup, but in no way does it make sense to run with it and take Batman in such a divergent direction from the source material. Nolan said this is an end to his version of Batman, and I think WB will honor that. Besides.. I love JGL, but i don't see him in the lead role of such a big franchise.

As for your last point, Nolan has said that he is done.. no chance of him coming back. He's done with Batman.

Robbman wrote:
anakin234 wrote:

It would not work as a major motion picture. You have to stick with certain basics. A batman beyond adaptation would be too 'out there'.

Also, I wasn't saying they couldn't do a direct sequel, just that they shouldn't. I get the potential setup, but in no way does it make sense to run with it and take Batman in such a divergent direction from the source material. Nolan said this is an end to his version of Batman, and I think WB will honor that. Besides.. I love JGL, but i don't see him in the lead role of such a big franchise.

As for your last point, Nolan has said that he is done.. no chance of him coming back. He's done with Batman.
While I agree it would be difficult to make Batman Beyond a major motion picture, it's by no means impossible. IMO, a greater risk would be to try to emulate what Nolan has already done with this trilogy (realistic, gritty take of the character). The next director who is coming in would have very little chance of topping what Nolan has already done. By going in the same direction as TDK trilogy would be setting up the director for failure. The next director would have a much higher chance of success by going in a completely different direction while maintaining the spirit and themes of the source material. Just like you said, I don't want to see this version of Batman done without Nolan. It's time to go in a different direction. Nolan has done just about everything possible in this version of Gotham City without making it feel cheesy/corny.

I'm not sure about you but by no means do I want a 'watered-down' or 'wannabe' version of a Chris Nolan-directed Batman film.