NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
RIFA wrote:Just came back.

I need a 2nd viewing before I'll write my full review. But at this moment:

Story: 9.0
Acting: 9.0
Technical Execution: 9.4
Replay Value: 10
======================
Overall: 9.5

Falls a bit short under TDK.

Rating subject to change after a 2nd viewing.

Full Review tomorrow night!
Finally! :clap:

I'm shocked at how much better this was the second time. My fucking god. Somehow I was able to take (almost) all of it in unlike before. My gripes with the film are far less. The only thing I still strongly feel needs to be expanded on is the prison scenes. Other than that I have a few of the same gripes as before but I feel less strongly about them (except for maybe better character development, but that felt better too this time around). I am seeing this again this weekend. This was such an improvement over my first viewing that it feels like I saw a better cut of the film. Still imperfect but closer to it by more than just a few points.

I'm still not sure what to rate it. I really need to think about it.

Just came back from yesterday showing, can't decide if it has topped TDK or if it's on par with it. It was a lot to take in. But I will say this-I had never felt so many different emotions after the film ended with saddness, happiness, being in awe, and my inner geek smiling. It didn't seemed like three and half hours because I was so immense into this film. Christian Bale really up the ante in the film as Batman/Bruce. Alfred broke my heart when he let it out to Bruce Wayne. Bane (Tom Hardy) was menacing and frightening, especially the first encounter with Batman. I'm going to have to watch Begins and TDK now, and then The Dark Knight Rises again tomorrow and maybe a few more times to see how the entire story truly comes together. By the way, Hathway was amazing as Catwoman/Selina Kyle and John Blake was similar to Gordon's character, especially from Begins. So, a more concise review should follow soon, just need a few days to think about it.

At this moment, it is:

Story: 9/10
Cinematography: 10
Acting: 10
Replay Value: 10

Overall, it's a 9.4 for me, very good film.

Couple of new thoughts in reflecting on the movie.

Alfred - I read Harry Knowles' review over at AICN, and I think he's off base on a lot of it, but one thing I thought he was off base about was Alfred, simply because his entire review seemed predicated on his knowledge of the characters through the comics, not the characters that Nolan has put in place in his version of the Batman mythos. And while I think this is largely the case, I have changed my mind on Alfred leaving, and agree with Harry on it... but I still don't have anywhere near the same problems with it that he did. I originally thought, this is what Nolan's Alfred would do. But then it occurred to me what he said to Bruce in Batman Begins.

Bruce "Haven't given up on me yet"

Alfred "Never"

Him walking out in TDKR violates that, and his level of commitment.

This can be easily explained, but I think it really was a mistake to not flesh out within the story that in leaving, he wasn't giving up on him.. he was making a statement and hoping to pull him out of his state of mind. It was a last ditch effort after trying everything else he knew to do. It absolutely comes across that Alfred is giving up on Bruce. Another angle is how forgone it had gotten for Alfred and he had no choice for his own mental well-being and he had to give up, but again.. I don't think they fleshed that idea out either.

Cillian Murphy - Again, this was an absolute standout moment in the movie, and he plays it so deliciously. How awesome would it have been to see Heath Ledger as the Judge? I would've loved to have seen that, and it seemed like a perfect place to put that character. Makes you wonder about the filmmaker's original intentions.

I think I agree that I'll need to see it a second time, and probably enjoy it a lot more when I've got it home in a box-set, but my review isn't glowing. It still gets a 7/10, but from the very first mentions (years ago now) of so many new characters, the length and potential sound issues, I knew this wasn't going to be my favourite of the trilogy.

It has iconic moments (at least two), and some thrilling action sequences, but it also suffers from some problems that I can't get past.

SPOILERS INSIDE http://www.thedisabledcubicle.com/the-d ... rises-2012 SPOILERS INSIDE

Robbman wrote:Couple of new thoughts in reflecting on the movie.

Alfred - I read Harry Knowles' review over at AICN, and I think he's off base on a lot of it, but one thing I thought he was off base about was Alfred, simply because his entire review seemed predicated on his knowledge of the characters through the comics, not the characters that Nolan has put in place in his version of the Batman mythos. And while I think this is largely the case, I have changed my mind on Alfred leaving, and agree with Harry on it... but I still don't have anywhere near the same problems with it that he did. I originally thought, this is what Nolan's Alfred would do. But then it occurred to me what he said to Bruce in Batman Begins.

Bruce "Haven't given up on me yet"

Alfred "Never"

Him walking out in TDKR violates that, and his level of commitment.

This can be easily explained, but I think it really was a mistake to not flesh out within the story that in leaving, he wasn't giving up on him.. he was making a statement and hoping to pull him out of his state of mind. It was a last ditch effort after trying everything else he knew to do. It absolutely comes across that Alfred is giving up on Bruce. Another angle is how forgone it had gotten for Alfred and he had no choice for his own mental well-being and he had to give up, but again.. I don't think they fleshed that idea out either.

Cillian Murphy - Again, this was an absolute standout moment in the movie, and he plays it so deliciously. How awesome would it have been to see Heath Ledger as the Judge? I would've loved to have seen that, and it seemed like a perfect place to put that character. Makes you wonder about the filmmaker's original intentions.
i don't get it, Robbman, in the film Alfred explicity states that he is leaving not because he is giving up on Bruce but because he hopes that in so doing it will help Bruce realize that he needs to move on with his life. I guess you were looking for something else in addition to that?

Harry Knowles review is garbage. I don't usually get to worked up about other people's opinions but it's really annoying in Harry's case just because he likes so many bad movies and will give so many under-achieving geek projects a pass but then it comes to an exceptionally made film like TDKR that doesn't perfectly conform to his ideas of what Batman should be, and he outright pans it.

I'm just back from seeing it (in French, the dubbing is surprisingly good, and especially on Bane) and I'm uncertain what to think of it. I can't compare it to the two previous movies because I found it to be so different. Honestly I don't have much to say, because I've only seen once one hour ago, and I'm still trying to gather my thoughts up. These two hours and forty-five minutes were so short!

I can't completely judge how the movie relates to the previous ones right now. I need to see it again. There's so much to analyze, yet so little. I know I disliked the fact there was less talking in favor of action.

I don't know, I think I had set my expectations too highly for how the story ends. I think I'm a bit disappointed because I had the feeling it's not as deep as Begins and TDK. I wonder if anyone had felt the same. The plot and how the story rolls didn't disappoint me, but it was rather the fact that I didn't find anything to learn from it. I surely need to watch it again, but for the moment I don't remember anything that striked me as a lesson.

Now for what I'm sure of what I liked and disliked.

I liked every second Bane appears on the screen. Tom Hardy is awesomer than I expected him to be, and like I said I placed my expectations pretty high. I liked his first fight against Batman, and though I'm not a comic-book fan, I heard so much about how the fans wanted Bane to break the Bat that I thought it was really cool that Nolan included it in the movie. The dialogue between Bruce and Bane in the prison was declared one of my favorite scenes from the movie right after I saw it. Bane's speech greatly reminded me of what Falcone says to Bruce in Begins: "You've never tasted desperate." I liked the bond between Talia and Bane that I didn't expect at all, contrary to Talia's true identity (yay rumors). And most of all, I liked that second where we see Bane's face when he hadn't the mask yet. I thought we'd see his face when Batman starts to break his mask, but no, once again it was in another unexpected way. His face is so striking then; looking up at the young Talia, his look commanding Talia to flee while he protects her. I think it was incredible. It showed that Bane wasn't only a monster, that he was human like us, too. And how Talia slowly fixes his mask, with these gestures, and the look in Bane's eyes when she saves him... another one of my favorite moments. Just incredible.

And this leads to what I disliked. I think that the most disappointing thing that I cannot get over is Bane's death. Like, seriously? Every other villain had a badass ending... Ra's being outsmarted by his disciple, the Joker warning Batman with his legendary laugh, and even Talia whose death of course reminds her father's one, but Bane...? No. Just no. If there's one thing in TDKR that I disliked, it's definitely that. It's just so lame. I wonder what went through Nolan's head to put an end to Bane like this.

Overall, it's still a masterpiece. Master Nolan has striked again, but I need several viewings to write a fair review, especially about the movie's depth and what it can teach us. I probably have missed some little details. I'm categoric about the last point, though. That's all for the moment.

I'm seriously wondering if I saw a different cut of Rises last night. I liked it so much more. Can't wait to see it again this weekend.

ComptonTerry wrote:I'm seriously wondering if I saw a different cut of Rises last night. I liked it so much more. Can't wait to see it again this weekend.
What made you think it was different, different theater?
Brave New World

ryan4butler wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:I'm seriously wondering if I saw a different cut of Rises last night. I liked it so much more. Can't wait to see it again this weekend.
What made you think it was different, different theater?
Nah I'm not serious but the difference between my first viewing and second viewing is as if I saw another cut. It was so much better. I still have a few gripes but they are diminished.