NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Red Hood wrote:
TDKRisLame wrote:
You just said exactly what I attempted to say above in a much more cogent and concise way. Bravo, sir. You hit the nail on the head and summed up this movie perfectly.
It's pretty funny your username is "TDKRisLame" and you disliked the movie. I'm not criticizing, I'm just like "What a coincidence!"
LOL! Username is the chariot. TDKR is the horse.

TDKRisLame wrote:
Red Hood wrote:
It's pretty funny your username is "TDKRisLame" and you disliked the movie. I'm not criticizing, I'm just like "What a coincidence!"
LOL! Username is the chariot. TDKR is the horse.
TDKR is the beautiful bridge, the username is the troll living under it.

This movie was masterpiece ruined in the editing process

I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of the film was.

Batman Begins was about Bruce Wayne becoming Batman, a hero who has taken things to the extreme. In The Dark Knight, he is tested by a villain who takes things to the extreme. And now we have The Dark Rises, where...well, I have no idea.

The Dark Knight Rises should have simply been this:

Bane forces Batman out of retirement > Batman is severely defeated both physically and mentally by the combination of Bane and being a wanted criminal > Batman goes back into hiding for retraining and boosting his resolve > With no Batman, Bane devastates the city but law enforcement learns that Batman is innocent > Batman returns and, now with the aid of the police, defeat Bane

But instead we got a sudden twist of Talia, atom bombs, butlers leaving, etc. I'm still in shock.

Megalith wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of the film was.

Batman Begins was about Bruce Wayne becoming Batman, a hero who has taken things to the extreme. In The Dark Knight, he is tested by a villain who takes things to the extreme. And now we have The Dark Rises, where...well, I have no idea.

The Dark Knight Rises should have simply been this:

Bane forces Batman out of retirement > Batman is severely defeated both physically and mentally by the combination of Bane and being a wanted criminal > Batman goes back into hiding for retraining and boosting his resolve > With no Batman, Bane devastates the city but law enforcement learns that Batman is innocent > Batman returns and, now with the aid of the police, defeat Bane

But instead we got a sudden twist of Talia, atom bombs, butlers leaving, etc. I'm still in shock.
So your a "I didn't get what I expected so I don't like it" person?
Sigs???

I think if Nolan had scaled back a little and picked a few ideas and characters to develop it would have been a better use of the 2 Hours and 45 minutes. Nolan is like an ambitious contestant on one of those kitchen game shows who can never quite finish his dish in the amount of time given. Whether you think this is an argument for a bigger canvas, or a better editor I leave up to you.

Having said that, this was a fitting end to the trilogy and after seeing it a second time I've warmed up to it. The only thing I found truly disappointing was
Bane's death and even more so Talia's death. I wish he had physically confronted one of them, preferably Bane.
I give it a 9/10.
One point being solely awarded to the Batman beat down that is the center piece of the film.
If I had to Rank the movies in order it would be

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight

If it weren't for the aforementioned extra point, Rises and Dark Knight would be even.

Okay so I saw it and I am very conflicted right now. First of all, I do like the way it ended, surprisingly. I can say that much. Now lets talk about my issues... first lets start with the ones that are my fault... READING TO MANY SPOILERS! Non of the twists effected me in any way but that isn't anyone's fault but my own. Now lets talk about other shit... YOU GUESSED IT! This movie is cut cut cut. Wow. It's so obvious.
Most of Banes rule is missing, the build up to the resistance is missing, a lot was missing. Or so it seems.

Also
Banes death isn't only anti climactic, it's completely silly and totally weakens his character. Such a shame. He was also underused but I could deal with that alone, I can't deal with his death.
I also found Catwoman very underused which is a damn shame for Hathaway because IMO she owned every scene she was in. I fucking loved her. Period. Great performance Anne!!! While I'm talking about performances, I really liked the Blake character and kudos to JGL for his performance. Cain was great too. Anyways though, perhaps my biggest issue right now is
How cut short Bruce's prison experience and his entire redemption is. It was so short and I didn't feel it. I saw it but I never felt it.
And the last thing is Banes prologue voice was absolutely horrible. First of all it sounds nothing like Bane in the rest of the film so it's odd and inconsistent, and second of all it sounds... well you've all heard it. It's bad. I might blame that one on all of the fucking people who complained back in December when the Prologue was first released. I had no problem with the original voice. Thank you everyone who couldn't stop bitching. It's like Nolan is getting back at all the people who bitched.

There are things I like about this movie, especially the ending, but this film does not come together in the end nearly as well as the other 2 did, at least not on my first viewing.

Now with all of my issues I am struggling with I am not going to rate this right now. I am going to see it again, in IMAX. I am going to give it another chance and see if it can grow on me more and I'll probably even see it a third time, but as of now this is how I feel and I can't help it and I know many people are feeling the same way right now. So many key scenes in this film just didn't breath at all. The scene with the bridges collapsing for example. In the trailer it had a very eerie and intense feeling to it but the way it's presented in the film is totally different and had little to no impact on me.

Blaah I'm just so frustrated right now but at the same time I absolutely have to see it again before I rate it. I want to love this movie. I want too.

ComptonTerry wrote:Okay so I saw it and I am very conflicted right now. First of all, I do like the way it ended, surprisingly. I can say that much. Now lets talk about my issues... first lets start with the ones that are my fault... READING TO MANY SPOILERS! Non of the twists effected me in any way but that isn't anyone's fault but my own. Now lets talk about other shit... YOU GUESSED IT! This movie is cut cut cut. Wow. It's so obvious.
Most of Banes rule is missing, the build up to the resistance is missing, a lot was missing. Or so it seems.

Also
Banes death isn't only anti climactic, it's completely silly and totally weakens his character. Such a shame. He was also underused but I could deal with that alone, I can't deal with his death.
I also found Catwoman very underused which is a damn shame for Hathaway because IMO she owned every scene she was in. I fucking loved her. Period. Great performance Anne!!! While I'm talking about performances, I really liked the Blake character and kudos to JGL for his performance. Cain was great too. Anyways though, perhaps my biggest issue right now is
How cut short Bruce's prison experience and his entire redemption is. It was so short and I didn't feel it. I saw it but I never felt it.
And the last thing is Banes prologue voice was absolutely horrible. First of all it sounds nothing like Bane in the rest of the film so it's odd and inconsistent, and second of all it sounds... well you've all heard it. It's bad. I might blame that one on all of the fucking people who complained back in December when the Prologue was first released. I had no problem with the original voice. Thank you everyone who couldn't stop bitching. It's like Nolan is getting back at all the people who bitched.

There are things I like about this movie, especially the ending, but this film does not come together in the end nearly as well as the other 2 did, at least not on my first viewing.

Now with all of my issues I am struggling with I am not going to rate this right now. I am going to see it again, in IMAX. I am going to give it another chance and see if it can grow on me more and I'll probably even see it a third time, but as of now this is how I feel and I can't help it and I know many people are feeling the same way right now. So many key scenes in this film just didn't breath at all. The scene with the bridges collapsing for example. In the trailer it had a very eerie and intense feeling to it but the way it's presented in the film is totally different and had little to no impact on me.

Blaah I'm just so frustrated right now but at the same time I absolutely have to see it again before I rate it. I want to love this movie. I want too.
+1

ComptonTerry wrote:First of all, I do like the way it ended, surprisingly.
I knew it from the moment he said "Blake" and "Robin." So tired of these desperate Robin fanboys. John Blake will never be Robin. Just. Fucking. DEAL WITH IT.
Read more: http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/search. ... z21Jjj5feD
First of all his character is more minor than Bale, Hathaway, or Hardy.

Read more: http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... z21JkYrkP8
I will just leave with this, if you think after the 20th of July people are going to rave about Blake more than Catwoman there is a 95% chance you're letting your (well known) JGL fanboyism get the best of you.

Read more: http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... z21Jl92WJW
:wave:

I think a lot of people are trying to talk themselves into liking this film more than they do because of their love for Nolan and his amazing job with the Batman franchise. I think about 5 of his films are in my top 20 favorite films list. But the editing in this film is so bad compared to other Nolan films, and it's very obvious. The Dark Knight just went off on TNT, and I caught the last 15 minutes, and the editing is great. The film is allowed to breath a little bit, the scenes are given weight and levity because the camera takes its time instead of suddenly cutting to another scene.

The story, the editing, the anti-climatic deaths, the lack of character development for Bane, all are reasons as to why TDKR is in my opinion, Nolan's weakest film. It is one of his more ambitious but that can't make up for the obvious flaws. I blame WB because I think they pressured him into cutting this film dramatically for commercial appeal, and I'm only stating that because I have so much respect for what Nolan has done and I know how great and perfectly executed his films are, so I can't even begin to imagine any other reason why this film is so badly edited compared to the rest of his filmography.