NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Really enjoyed the film. Rises felt like much more of a Batman film than TDK and I enjoyed it more because of this. I especially liked seeing more Bruce and Alfred, with Caine delivering a positively gut-wrenching performance.

One thing that bothers me is what they did to Bane's voice. I thought his voice was positively phenomenal during the prologue, if a bit hard to understand. I was hoping they would clean it up, but instead, they entirely changed it. It gets better after the first six minutes, but it didn't quite live up to my expectations. Hardy's performance, on the other hand, was perfect. Bane deserved a more climactic death, but I enjoyed every second he was on screen. Hathaway was good, Levitt was good, and although I didn't particularly care for the ending, it was the quickest 2 hours and 45 minutes of my life. Man did it fly by, much quicker than TDK.

I would rank the trilogy as follows:

BB 9/10
TDKR 8.5/10
TDK 8 /10

I know, I know, but I've never thought TDK was quite as good as many here. Begins will always be my favorite - hey, I like exposition, thank you very much. :D

Off of my site,
Story: I saw this one at midnight in a regular theatre. I chose not to see it in IMAX for the first time because I went to a private screening with a comic-book story so I would get a free shirt and a bag of great stuff. At the beginning of this movie, I was thinking, “This isn’t better than The Dark Knight…” But then, it turned itself around. It did have some pacing issues, since we went 5 months ahead in literally 2 minutes. The ending was great, let me tell you that. It left me speechless. It had a couple laughs here and there, it definitely tried to be funnier than the first two, and I think it was.

Visuals: Gotham was portrayed beautifully once again. I loved it. Christopher Nolan and his cinematographer Wally Pfister did it again. The perfect two-punch team.

Music: Hans Zimmer was amazing again, as expected. I didn’t hear that much different music. I felt like he just patched in his scores from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight with some additions. But either way, I still loved it.

Characters: The only thing a tiny bit wrong about this movie is that there was too many characters. Too many new ones too. We didn’t really get to discover them all as much as I think we should’ve. I think Nolan probably had a lot more to the movie, but Warner Bros. probably pressured him down into cutting the movie shorter since it was already 15 minutes away from 3 hours. Also, Bane’s voice was perfectly fine to understand. Anyone who says they can’t understand it has hearing problems. The only thing wrong with his voice is that they gave into the audience too much when the prologue came out and people claimed to not be able to hear it. They changed his voice A LOT in the prologue to the point that throughout the movie he sounds silly. I never even saw the prologue in theaters or Ghost Protocol, just a bootleg on the internet and I understood him fine there.

Rewatch Value: I’m actually going to go see it a second time but this time in IMAX. I can’t wait.

http://retrospectrealm.wordpress.com/20 ... es-review/

I did not believe in it at first, but The Dark Knight Rises is more ambitious, huge and dark than The Dark Knight (not always in his advantage however)
The casting is incredible and impeccable: Christian Bale is to his best in Bruce Wayne tortured in this movie, Michael Caine has a smaller role, but is the one who has the most moving scenes. Oldman and Freeman (Jim Gordon and Lucius Fox) are sub-used in the movie to the detriment of newcomers in the series of which Anne Hathaway brilliant in Catwoman, Marion Cotillard (new CEO of companies Wayne and a little bit flat character according to appearances), Joseph Gordon-Levitt (my favorite performance of the movie much to my surprise) in young heroic policeman And obviously Tom Hardy who plays intimidating and monstrous terrorist Bane in a convincing way.
The 1re the hour of the movie is a little bit slow and heavy of multiple intrigues the movie of which certain useless
Bruce's DNA arc, the romance Wayne / Miranda
, but catches very fast afterward. The 1st fight Bane / Batman is simply of a rough violence and there is no music to bring to light it even more. I had some reserves on the "plan" of Bane which seems inconsistent at the certain moments
why does he appear in charismatic leader who wants to end the social pyramids if he wants to annihilate the city then?
***I'M TALKING ABOUT THE ENDING DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM***
The last 45 minutes are the best of the trilogy with Bruce's escape of the prison of Bane, the street battle between policemen and mercenaries, the 2nd fight between Bane and Batman and the revelation of Miranda Tate's real identity (in reality Talia Al Ghul) come finish the work of his father is magnificently executed. Bruce's choice to sacrifice for saving Gotham by bringing the bomb with its Bat outside the city is perfectly in mind of the character. As in any movie of Nolan, the final scenes are puzzling:
1-John Blake's real name is Robin, I liked well the reference at the time (although the final scene made me change idea), because Blake is the Robin " nolanized ", he could not work with his kitsch suit in the universe of Nolan, but the relation Blake / Batman in the movie is very comparable to Batman / Robin at the certain moments
2-Alfred sees Bruce and Selina in Europe in a café, I find that the scene limits Bruce's sacrifice for Gotham and I find strange that Batman managed to escape from the Bat before the explosion, but that indeed ends with what Alfred tried to say to Bruce at the beginning of the movie and I like this scene
3-There is a new Bat-Signal and John Blake discovers Bat-Cave and in a almost similar way to Bruce in Batman Begins (bats around the light) and it is really a brilliant way to conclude the trilogy, because Bruce said in Batman Begins that Batman was not a man, but a symbol and this symbol continues with Blake. That is why the Robin of his name makes me perplexed, because I am convinced that he replaces Bruce as Batman and does not become his companion, Bruce Wayne's story is clearly ended and in grand way
It is not as good as The Dark Knight because of the pace of the first hour of the movie and the fact that Tom Hardy can't match Heath Ledger's Joker, but otherwise we speak about an epic conclusion in every sense of the word and Nolan seems to have left the option of possible follow-ups with
Gordon-Levitt as Batman
, but which director will have the guts to do the follow-up to the greatest trilogy of all-time?
94/100 :clap: :clap: :clap:

I liked the movie quite a bit, but I can't help feeling disappointed, merely because it wasn't what I had been expecting for the last year. I was expecting 'TDK 2.0', as some of you have been saying. It's more my fault than the movie's, but I still had a hard time enjoying myself on the first viewing. However, the ending was set up perfectly, IMO, and I loved everyone's performances (especially Caine's). It reminds me of the Star Wars trilogy:

BB/A New Hope=Great
TDK/The Empire= Incredible
TDKR/The Return=Pretty good

I have seen it, and let me preface this reaction by saying that I'm a huge fan of Nolan and all his films, but this one... well, it let me down. In a major way.

Where do I even begin?
From the beginning, actually. Right off the bat, a red flag came up. And that came in the form of Bane's delivery in the first six minutes aka the plane heist sequence. In the prologue in December, Bane's voice was perfect: menacing and foreboding, and a little hard to hear being modulated by that mask, but that is exactly what made it frightening. It was pitch perfect and the timing was excellent. Cut to the movie and now Nolan has re-recorded Hardy's lines and it just sounds.... awful. You can clearly tell that Hardy is trying to hard to sound clear and proper and it is just not menacing in any way shape or form. Even the timing is off and even a word is cut out from the original prologue. In the original prologue, Bane says, "Dr. Pavel refused our offer in favor of yours. We have to find out what he told you about us. (pause) "Nothing. I said nothing." In the finished movie: "Dr. Pavel refused our offer in favor of yours. We have to find out what he told you- "Nothing. I said nothing." The delivery is abysmal and the timing is completely compromised. Why did Nolan do this? Did he give in to fans' cries and their inability to hear? Even Nolan responded, saying he would NOT change it and that viewers would have to "pedal faster". It seems he compromised, and sadly, it undermines the original tone and tension of that opening scene.

Moving on: the movie drags immediately following that opening scene, but oddly it works as we're introduced to Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle (one of the few things that make this movie worth watching.) Her introduction is absolutely magnificent; the way she goes from shy to sly -- in an instant is amazing to see. Hathaway is perfect, and the definitive Catwoman has finally been put to screen.

After this, we get a lot of dialogue between Wayne and Alfred (most of it exposition) to establish the current state of Wayne and his undertakings (or lack thereof). What bugs me is that even after two films, two films where Alfred seems to understand Bruce's lust for being Batman and accepts it, he strangely seems to be opposed to the persona of Batman and wants Bruce to give it up. There's a lot of contradicting in this movie and this really creates a lot of logic holes in the film and doesn't gel with the previous films. What was really disappointing about this is that most of the vital info (Bane being in the LOS, Ras al Ghul, etc.) is relayed in simple exposition with no big reveal in any one character digging up this info.

When we meet Bane again underground it is a fantastic intro to the character's brutality and I absolutely loved this scene. his voice here is perfect, similar to what it was in the prologue in December, and the total opposite to what it was in the opening plane scene. Why Nolan changed the voice on the plane is still an absolute, baffling mystery to me. But back on point: one of the main reasons I'm disappointed in this movie is how it ends (there are also many issues I have with pacing, editing, certain scenes in the films, etc.) and I only say this because Bane had so much potential. Let me just say that Catowman shooting him on a Batpod is not a fitting end to this character. Also, the ending is more generic than any ending I could have imagined. To me, the ending violates the whole meaning of the Batman character and the equation that the previous 2 films have so painstakingly worked to accomplish: BRUCE WAYNE + GOTHAM = BATMAN

Yes, that is the equation. Bruce Wayne being in Gotham will always yield the Batman. In other words: as long as Gotham and Bruce Wayne exist, there will always be a need for Batman. And there will always be a psychological need for Bruce to put on the suit. To end the story there are only 2 possible ways to logically do this: subtract Bruce Wayne or subtract Gotham. In order to end Batman, the only solution would have been to kill Batman or to kill Gotham. Nolan does neither and instead opts for a 'happy' ending that generically and haphazardly keeps the series alive in the form of John "Robin" Blake ( :facepalm: ) and forms and ending even less exciting than any random fanboy on SHH could have conceived in his mom's basement.

The LOS fail again. Nolan always makes the point that Batman is human and that he is not a superhero. This was put to the test in The Dark Knight and was beautifully delineated in the form of Batman only being able to rescue Dent and having to witness the death of Rachel at the Joker's indirect hands. This was a human moment. Batman is capable of failing. In Rises, he appears to be a superhero: battling Bane, curing a broken back, and defeating the LOS all in the span of the movie. To me, the only way to prove Bane as the ultimate badass and the LOS as a legitimate organization was to have them succeed. How amazing would it have been if the LOS succeeded and the end result was a subtraction to the ultimate equation: - BRUCE WAYNE or - GOTHAM = NO BATMAN. It would have been a fitting end if the LOS got their way.

Also there is a lot of cheese in this movie: the president speaking on television was cringe worthy (did we really need to see another cheesy movie president?), the statue of Batman at the end was corny and lame and just looked retarded, the fact that there even was a television in a hell hole in prison where Wayne was was laughable (wouldn't a radio have worked better?), the whole ending with Blake and the mention of Robin was just downright silly. Batman had to end with Bruce and Bruce only.

There are a few awesome sequences in this movie that make my frustration for the lesser ones grow even more intense. The football stadium demolition along with the city was disturbing and breathtaking; the complicated and rapidly moving plot that unfolds in the beginning; the stock exchange and subsequent batpod chase was excellent; Catwoman and Batman in action was pulse pounding and awesome.

Overall, the movie let me down. Some promising stuff in there. But Nolan ends the movie in a very generic way and the movie just had too many problems with pacing, structure, editing, and so forth. It's sad to see a master like Nolan actually compromise, and in the end make a generic studio flick. The one difference is that when Nolan makes a generic studio flick it ends up being an artistic generic studio flick.

6/10

The movie is an odd mix of the awesome moments and WTF-were-they-thinking moments.

It is simultaneously too short (for some characters development) and too long (for some characters development).

It's the weakest of three Bat films...nor as good as The Prestige or Inception. But I still like and appreciate quite a bit about it. I'll forever be having "What if x, y, or z" thoughts about it and wonder about dirt/what happened behind the scenes from pre-production on.
Last edited by MagnarTheGreat on July 21st, 2012, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagnarTheGreat wrote:The movie is an odd mix of the awesome moments and WTF-were-they-thinking moments.

It is simultaneously too short (for some characters development) and too long (for some characters development).

It's the weakest of three Bat films...nor as good as The Prestige or Inception. But I still like quite and appreciate quite a bit about it. I'll forever be having "What if x, y, or z" thoughts about it.
What about Following, Insomnia, and Memento?

MagnarTheGreat wrote:The movie is an odd mix of the awesome moments and WTF-were-they-thinking moments.

It's the weakest of three Bat films...nor as good as The Prestige or Inception. But I still like and appreciate quite a bit about it. I'll forever be having "What if x, y, or z" thoughts about it and wonder about dirt/what happened behind the scenes from pre-production on.
You just said exactly what I attempted to say above in a much more cogent and concise way. Bravo, sir. You hit the nail on the head and summed up this movie perfectly.

I definitely got a sense of Nolan feeling the heat of studio pressure on this one. But, again, it's just a feeling. I'll have many a sleepless night trying to figure out what went wrong on this one.
Last edited by TDKRisLame on July 21st, 2012, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TDKRisLame wrote:

You just said exactly what I attempted to say above in a much more cogent and concise way. Bravo, sir. You hit the nail on the head and summed up this movie perfectly.
It's pretty funny your username is "TDKRisLame" and you disliked the movie. I'm not criticizing, I'm just like "What a coincidence!"

Red Hood wrote:

It's the weakest of three Bat films...nor as good as The Prestige or Inception. But I still like quite and appreciate quite a bit about it. I'll forever be having "What if x, y, or z" thoughts about it.
What about Following, Insomnia, and Memento?
They feel a lot different. Nolan's filmography after Insomnia feels a lot different to me than what came before Batman Begins. I'm not sure quite how to put it ...