[SPOILERS] New 13 minute official behind the scenes video

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
mchekhov wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:
He is right about several things but the question is, was he wrong about everyone being as evil as him? The outcome of the situation on the boats, the fact that they didn't blow each other up, leads us to believe perhaps his overall outlook was wrong. That's how Bruce see's it.

That's not how I read that scene....the way it played out, made it seem like if it was another day, perhaps they would have blown themselves up
Maybe, but Bruce definitely thinks it's proof that people are not as evil as Joker. Maybe Bruce is the one being fooled. Bruce just doesn't believe people are that evil, but maybe the reality is they didn't blow each other up out of fear, rather than out of kindness.

In Gotham there are the criminals and scum and the average citizen and the people who stand up. The scum and criminals are the reason for Gothams demise. Batman believes that the citizens need to be saved from the evil doers because there is some good left in the city.
Brave New World

mchekhov wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:
He is right about several things but the question is, was he wrong about everyone being as evil as him? The outcome of the situation on the boats, the fact that they didn't blow each other up, leads us to believe perhaps his overall outlook was wrong. That's how Bruce see's it.

That's not how I read that scene....the way it played out, made it seem like if it was another day, perhaps they would have blown themselves up

I think that's what made the joker so captivating and mesmerizing..because despite the ugliness of his actions, deep down inside everybody in the audience recognized the truth in what he was saying...he tapped into our subconscious minds and showed us something we already knew but try to forget everyday..we see it in the world around us

this is, why i said the joker in TDK is way different than the joker in the comics, because in the comics he does not do this for the reader
Making the claim that people are hypocritical and violent despite cultural niceties is pretty broad and pretty well-worn, as far as insights go. Joker appealed to people's ugliest qualities and used that to manipulate them, but that doesn't mean he's not crazy. Ever heard of a guy named Charles Manson?

I think Nolan's Joker is a great distillation of the comic Joker in broad strokes. He has an overarching ideology guiding him, because a movie needs a plot, but it's not much deeper than "chaos". Comic Joker orchestrates equally complex stunts in the comics and TV series all the time, and more than once it's been to make some sort of vague philosophical point.

For the love of Nolan, get this thread back on track mods. :facepalm:

Red Pyramid wrote:
mchekhov wrote:

I think that's what made the joker so captivating and mesmerizing..because despite the ugliness of his actions, deep down inside everybody in the audience recognized the truth in what he was saying...he tapped into our subconscious minds and showed us something we already knew but try to forget everyday..we see it in the world around us

this is, why i said the joker in TDK is way different than the joker in the comics, because in the comics he does not do this for the reader
Making the claim that people are hypocritical and violent despite cultural niceties is pretty broad and pretty well-worn, as far as insights go. Joker appealed to people's ugliest qualities and used that to manipulate them, but that doesn't mean he's not crazy. Ever heard of a guy named Charles Manson?

I think Nolan's Joker is a great distillation of the comic Joker in broad strokes. He has an overarching ideology guiding him, because a movie needs a plot, but it's not much deeper than "chaos". Comic Joker orchestrates equally complex stunts in the comics and TV series all the time, and more than once it's been to make some sort of vague philosophical point.
"Some men just want t watch the world burn."
Brave New World

ComptonTerry wrote:
mchekhov wrote:

Maybe, but Bruce definitely thinks it's proof that people are not as evil as Joker. Maybe Bruce is the one being fooled. Bruce just doesn't believe people are that evil, but maybe the reality is they didn't blow each other up out of fear, rather than out of kindness.

follow the dialogue of that scene....Bruce only thinks he won up until he realizes what the Joker did...after that he realizes he lost and that Gotham will collapse because the Joker is right

"this city just showed you that its full of people ready to believe in good"
"until their spirit breaks completely...until they get a good look at the real Harvey Dent...and all the things he's done."

from that point on, you sense the realization Bruce is going through...hence the sacrifice he makes at the end.....he pins the sins of Gotham on himself with the cover up of Dent's crimes

so...the Joker was right

once again, this character is so vastly different from the character in the comics

mchekhov wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:

follow the dialogue of that scene....Bruce only thinks he won up until he realizes what the Joker did...after that he realizes he lost and that Gotham will collapse because the Joker is right

"this city just showed you that its full of people ready to believe in good"
"until their spirit breaks completely...until they get a good look at the real Harvey Dent...and all the things he's done."

from that point on, you sense the realization Bruce is going through...hence the sacrifice he makes at the end.....he pins the sins of Gotham on himself with the cover up of Dent's crimes

so...the Joker was right

once again, this character is so vastly different from the character in the comics
Different. But similar enough to be recognizable and true to the character. /argument.

Hell, even the fact that the Joker has motivations (regardless of the fact that they make sense) derives from many versions that are in the comics.

Bacon wrote:Hell, even the fact that the Joker has motivations (regardless of the fact that they make sense) derives from many versions that are in the comics.
BACK ON TOPIC.

NOW.

We NEED a gif of Hardy's laugh at 3:16.