What is Nolan's deepest film? (themes & characters)

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.

What is Nolan's deepest film?

The Following
1%
Memento
24%
Insomnia
No votes
Batman Begins
No votes
The Prestige
32%
The Dark Knight
24%
Inception
19%

Total votes: 68

Obsession may be the theme, but by way of it different topics are explored. For examle, life and death. How can two people lead a single life? How do their lives interfere, where are they split in half, what are the implications to their personal freedom, to the other people within their lives? How must it feel to face your own death each evening?

In the beginning, the film seems to be about obsession only, but in the end it turns into a film about tremendous, horrible sacrifices. That was a twist that I very much liked because it's so thought-provoking.

Alex wrote:Obsession may be the theme, but by way of it different topics are explored. For examle, life and death. How can two people lead a single life? How do their lives interfere, where are they split in half, what are the implications to their personal freedom, to the other people within their lives? How must it feel to face your own death each evening?

In the beginning, the film seems to be about obsession only, but in the end it turns into a film about tremendous, horrible sacrifices. That was a twist that I very much liked because it's so thought-provoking.
Well put. I have certainly discussed The Prestige many hours more than TDK for the sheer thought provokeness. TDK became ultimately about Heath's outstanding performance overshadowing everything else ^

tykjen wrote:So tell me. What is the ONE theme in The Prestige?

Self sacrifice, Obsession, duality, secrets, Magic, deception, Rivalry, "exact" science.. In my opinion aside from yours, The Prestige has several themes intertwined like no other movie.
Uhm no.

You're confusing a theme with a topic... (Alex said it pretty well)

A theme could have many topics.
A movie however is based on themes. Usually no more than 2 because then you'll have a mess.

But even in case of topics I think The Dark Knight passes The Prestige by a mile... but that is debatable.

You're giving the "everybody has a different view so there could be many themes in a film" argument which is a disturbing and false thing.
No offense, I mean this in the most sincere way, but that is an extremely ignorant thing to say. We are discussing the literary aspects of films, literature is a form of art, and one of the greatest and most crucial parts about art, interpreting it and analyzing it, is that the depth within a work of art can be seen differently by various people. There is a reason why scholars spend years debating and discussing themes with other scholars, it's because there are aspects to certain literature that can be found by one person, and overlooked by another. Everyone has their own perception, and with literature, the natural result is that they will be able to see certain aspects that another person may overlook upon first reading/seeing.

Not everything in literature is spelled out for you, therefore it is always open for interpretation. To say that a film being open for interpreting themes for people with varying views is "a disturbing and false thing" is an insult to people who dedicate their lives to interpreting literary and artistic works. As long as literature remains the result of a person's expression, there will always be an abundance of themes that can be found from people with different views. We are not discussing science and facts, we are discussing fiction, which means that people will always have different views on films, and there is nothing wrong with it at all, on the contrary, it’s encouraged and makes the act of analyzing literature so much fun.

Though I will make myself clear, that over analyzing literature isn't exactly the best thing either. This is from another forum in which we discussed the "Was Edward sane or insane in Shutter Island?"
I agree, both sides are possible, but here's the things about films, more specifically, literature. When you analyze a deep novel for example, you can literally make an endless amount of assumptions and theories based on the extant of the substance that has been given, but at the end of the day, it's just assumptions and theories, they aren't facts. If you're going to determine the meaning of a novel from a strict perspective, the only thing that holds any weight is the actual pieces of information that has been stated in the novel, not what "could be" or "what may be implied" Of course, you can't dismiss the possibilities of these things, but against literal facts of the novel, they just don't hold up.

With literature though, the theories and assumptions, despite not being as valid as facts, are equally important in another aspect, which is that literature is an art, and art is supposed to be up for interpretation, for the viewer to go deeper than just what is there to find what may possibly be a greater meaning. I think that’s what makes literature, poems, and films so great, which is that everyone can have their own theories, which is what scholars spend countless years doing while they study classic literature.

With Shutter Island, it's possible that there really is some kind of brain washing conspiracy, and I do appreciate that people are willing to dig deeper than what most audiences will do, but then again, with that same type of analyzing, one could make countless other theories that are just as possible. My opinion is, while these theories are possible, I trust the literal pieces of information that has been given to us, which is that Leo's character did kill his wife. As I said, with a movie like Shutter Island, one can go really deep down the rabbit hole, but this hole has no validity compared to what the movie literally implied.
A theme must represent and cover the whole plot of the movie (or at least half of it.)
I disagree, that’s why there are things called “minor themes” “secondary themes” “implicit themes” and “underlying themes”

-hatred isn't a theme in the prestige. it's just a feeling that is explored like in any other movie.
-fidelity isn't a theme in the prestige. fidelity alone is barely a theme in any movie.
-loss isn't a theme in the prestige. it's a fact of life that is explored in any movie including Memento, TDK, BB or Following.
-guilt isn't a theme in the prestige. it's again just a feeling that is explored again in TDK, Memento, BB or Insomnia.
-narcissism is hard to be a theme for any movie because on narcissism alone you barely can develop any strong story.
I’m re-reading Great Expectations as we speak, so I’ll use this as an example. Scholars agree that some of the main themes in the novel are Ambitions, Love, Crime, and Innocence. Let’s use your method of disregarding the Prestige’s themes, and apply it To Great Expectations…

Ambitions? Every work of fiction portrays a character who desires something, and wants to achieve a goal, all people have ambitions, so it can be applied to anything, therefore by your logic, it can’t be considered a theme. Love? Almost every work of fiction has love, love is just a feeling, a feeling all people have, so it can’t be a theme. Crime? If you read any crime novel, it would be redundant to say that crime itself is a theme, therefore that can’t count. Innocence? Any novel that contains a child is obviously going to have innocence as a theme, its merely a part of childhood, it isn’t a theme. By using your way of disregarding themes, I disregarded the most crucial aspects of Great Expectations, the very core of the novel.

You don’t seem to be willing to give the Prestige a chance. Hatred is a crucial theme in the film, and one could make a well written thesis just on that alone. Fidelity and loss can be argued that it is this which is what drives Hugh Jackman’s character, and creates the real tension within the novel, as it opens up so much psychological aspects to the film. Guilt and narcissism I only consider minor themes, but to disregard them entirely is just silly.

Now you’re probably going to ask me something along the lines of “If The Prestige is such a deep film, list all its themes that cover half/all the story” And to be quite frank, I don’t want to. There’s so much underlying relevance going on in this film, that for me to go into detail of what the themes are and why they are important, would just turn into one big essay. I’m sure that plenty of people here though will be more than happy to explain how the film portrays a great deal of themes.

I do agree with you though, The Dark Knight (imo) is a deeper film with more themes. The Prestige itself though is still an insanely stunning film in terms of depth.

RIFA wrote:Uhm no.

You're confusing a theme with a topic... (Alex said it pretty well)

A theme could have many topics.
A movie however is based on themes. Usually no more than 2 because then you'll have a mess.

But even in case of topics I think The Dark Knight passes The Prestige by a mile... but that is debatable.
That's all you have to say? Obsession is a young man's game. And I think you are obsessing too much on the supposedly "deep" messy and jumpy TDK now.. You say The Prestige has ONE theme. And what is that? Alex said it could be obsession..but that is NOT the theme 30 minutes in even..the movie traverses thru many twists and turns, and themes.

loved your post but here's where I disagree.
Samsara17 wrote:We are discussing the literary aspects of films, literature is a form of art, and one of the greatest and most crucial parts about art, interpreting it and analyzing it, is that the depth within a work of art can be seen differently by various people.
You can see it differently but literature still has it's own definition.
Samsara17 wrote:There is a reason why scholars spend years debating and discussing themes with other scholars
They debating "themes" not "what a theme is"... :) That's what people did here.
Samsara17 wrote:Not everything in literature is spelled out for you, therefore it is always open for interpretation.
But like I said, literature has it's definitions. Everything else could be open to interpretations but not the definitions.
Samsara17 wrote:I disagree, that’s why there are things called “minor themes” “secondary themes” “implicit themes” and “underlying themes”
Yes. I know. I studied literature for the last 8 years and I'm still studying it. Those are still sub-themes. A minor theme could be in the best case a parallel theme to the main theme. Secondary themes are sub-themes. Implicit themes are sub-themes. Underlying themes are sub-themes. Yes, themes have an order like many other things, however the types of themes you mentioned have nothing to do with the main themes in a movie etc.
Samsara17 wrote:I’m re-reading Great Expectations as we speak, so I’ll use this as an example. Scholars agree that some of the main themes in the novel are Ambitions, Love, Crime, and Innocence. Let’s use your method of disregarding the Prestige’s themes, and apply it To Great Expectations…
We're talking about movies not books. A book is more detailed therefore it has more than just 2 main themes (in general).

Besides "love", which in Prestige isn't a theme unless you go deeper in details and classify it as "the love for your work and the sacrifices it requires for you to succeed", none of the themes mentioned by your scholars have anything to do with the Prestige.

Much more than that. Most of the themes mentioned could be found in ANY movie. And if they are in ANY movie well then how do you classify movies based on their themes? You couldn't because all movies will have almost the same themes. Again, don't confuse LITERATURE with MOVIES.
Samsara17 wrote:You don’t seem to be willing to give the Prestige a chance.
Lol. A chance to what? To win a million dollars? The questions is which is Nolan's deepest films. Now the answers are debatable. However I will not agree with those who say The Prestige is such an elaborate piece of storytelling and it approaches so many themes because I can't agree with something that's wrong. A person who would say a movie has tons of themes definitely doesn't know how to make a difference between a theme, a topic, a scenario, a feeling etc. Therefore their judgment is flawed and is flawed without them to even know it because they don't know the basics of scriptwriting.

I am a big Nolan fan as anyone around here so I'm not disregarding The Prestige in any way. I'm just talking things from a strictly logical point of view.
Samsara17 wrote:Now you’re probably going to ask me something along the lines of “If The Prestige is such a deep film, list all its themes that cover half/all the story” And to be quite frank, I don’t want to.
I wish you would and then I'll give you 100 movies and I'm sure you'll find about the same number of themes in anyone of them. It's nonsense to claim a movies has 10 themes. It's ridiculous... Think it from the perspective of a screenwriter. When he approaches a story... if he'll have 10 themes he'll have to approach the story from 10 different perspectives. Which screenwriter do you think can think of such a story without messing it up? None. Because it would suffocate him. That's why they chose one or maximum two themes to develop in their stories. Then they add some small sub-themes to support the main ones and usually to give the story more dramatism.
Samsara17 wrote:I do agree with you though, The Dark Knight (imo) is a deeper film with more themes. The Prestige itself though is still an insanely stunning film in terms of depth.
That's my main point. The Dark Knight is more well structured and approached theme-wise. Main themes or sub-themes... it's just on a whole other level.

Tl;dr. Just a lot of bla bla and no explaining really. Get to the point? You have not even said a word about how or why TDK is the deepest movie in this thread. Instead you just lash out against The Prestige because it gets more votes than TDK based on opinion. We state our opinions, and you begin to define themes worse than a wikipedia all of a sudden. The Prestige can not be summed up with one word to cover its main theme, or main story arc. To me its most about rivalry when I look back. But look DEEPER, and CLOSELY, and suddenly there's so much more than meets the eye. The Prestige is about real men, while Batman is just a rich kid with a hissyfit who thinks he knows how the world and criminal minds works because his parents got shot! (loved that scene in Begins btw, I was nodding along with Falconi)
Last edited by tykjen on July 3rd, 2011, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theweatherman wrote:For me the theme in TDK is the nature of man whether he is naturally good or naturally evil. Its a very basic theme, but one that is still hotly debated by philosophers. Where this theme is made obvious is in the boat scene, but once you recognize it as the theme you realize that the main characters represent various stages of man's descent to evil. Batman represents the good and the Joker represents evil, while Dent is a good man who is corrupted by evil. Or if you could make the argument that all of them are evil as the Joker tries to do and that they will eventually fail at being good just as Dent did.

This is a huge difference than the rest of Nolan's films where good and evil are not so well-defined. Most of his films rely on a lot of grey areas and questionable characters (even Batman Begins to an extent), but the Dark Knight rises above that to represented one of the oldest philosophical debates known to mankind.

That's why I say the Dark Knight is his deepest film.
I thought I did a pretty good job explaining why I think the Dark Knight is so deep, but it was mostly ignored. Does this help answer your question Tykjen.

RIFA wrote:loved your post but here's where I disagree.
Samsara17 wrote:We are discussing the literary aspects of films, literature is a form of art, and one of the greatest and most crucial parts about art, interpreting it and analyzing it, is that the depth within a work of art can be seen differently by various people.
You can see it differently but literature still has it's own definition.
Samsara17 wrote:There is a reason why scholars spend years debating and discussing themes with other scholars
They debating "themes" not "what a theme is"... :) That's what people did here.
Samsara17 wrote:Not everything in literature is spelled out for you, therefore it is always open for interpretation.
But like I said, literature has it's definitions. Everything else could be open to interpretations but not the definitions.
Samsara17 wrote:I disagree, that’s why there are things called “minor themes” “secondary themes” “implicit themes” and “underlying themes”
Yes. I know. I studied literature for the last 8 years and I'm still studying it. Those are still sub-themes. A minor theme could be in the best case a parallel theme to the main theme. Secondary themes are sub-themes. Implicit themes are sub-themes. Underlying themes are sub-themes. Yes, themes have an order like many other things, however the types of themes you mentioned have nothing to do with the main themes in a movie etc.
Samsara17 wrote:I’m re-reading Great Expectations as we speak, so I’ll use this as an example. Scholars agree that some of the main themes in the novel are Ambitions, Love, Crime, and Innocence. Let’s use your method of disregarding the Prestige’s themes, and apply it To Great Expectations…
We're talking about movies not books. A book is more detailed therefore it has more than just 2 main themes (in general).

Besides "love", which in Prestige isn't a theme unless you go deeper in details and classify it as "the love for your work and the sacrifices it requires for you to succeed", none of the themes mentioned by your scholars have anything to do with the Prestige.

Much more than that. Most of the themes mentioned could be found in ANY movie. And if they are in ANY movie well then how do you classify movies based on their themes? You couldn't because all movies will have almost the same themes. Again, don't confuse LITERATURE with MOVIES.
Samsara17 wrote:You don’t seem to be willing to give the Prestige a chance.
Lol. A chance to what? To win a million dollars? The questions is which is Nolan's deepest films. Now the answers are debatable. However I will not agree with those who say The Prestige is such an elaborate piece of storytelling and it approaches so many themes because I can't agree with something that's wrong. A person who would say a movie has tons of themes definitely doesn't know how to make a difference between a theme, a topic, a scenario, a feeling etc. Therefore their judgment is flawed and is flawed without them to even know it because they don't know the basics of scriptwriting.

I am a big Nolan fan as anyone around here so I'm not disregarding The Prestige in any way. I'm just talking things from a strictly logical point of view.
Samsara17 wrote:Now you’re probably going to ask me something along the lines of “If The Prestige is such a deep film, list all its themes that cover half/all the story” And to be quite frank, I don’t want to.
I wish you would and then I'll give you 100 movies and I'm sure you'll find about the same number of themes in anyone of them. It's nonsense to claim a movies has 10 themes. It's ridiculous... Think it from the perspective of a screenwriter. When he approaches a story... if he'll have 10 themes he'll have to approach the story from 10 different perspectives. Which screenwriter do you think can think of such a story without messing it up? None. Because it would suffocate him. That's why they chose one or maximum two themes to develop in their stories. Then they add some small sub-themes to support the main ones and usually to give the story more dramatism.
Samsara17 wrote:I do agree with you though, The Dark Knight (imo) is a deeper film with more themes. The Prestige itself though is still an insanely stunning film in terms of depth.
That's my main point. The Dark Knight is more well structured and approached theme-wise. Main themes or sub-themes... it's just on a whole other level.
Thanks, I enjoyed reading your posts as well.

My only point was this, you said it was wrong for people to have different views on what themes are present in a piece of literature, I say that with literature, whether it be a poem, a novel, or a screenplay, it is ALWAYS open for interpretation, and always allows people the chance to find new themes that are present in the story that another person may have previously overlooked. If people’s views played no factor in determining what themes are present in a novel, we wouldn’t have scholars today still trying to discover new depth in the works of classic writers.

And with The Prestige, my point was that perhaps you haven’t analyzed the film enough to see the presence of themes such as Hate, Loss, Infidelity, etc. I’m not arguing whether you consider them themes or not, or what defines a theme, I’m arguing that you haven’t noticed the themes that are clearly present in the film. It’s not a matter of arguing what a theme is, because I agree with your definition on a theme entirely, my point is that you’ve only seen these “themes” as simply elements of the film, but as I said before, literature is about interpretation, if people here are able to see how these elements present themselves as themes that can be applied to the whole story, then there opinion is justifiable, and so far, many people in this thread feel this way.

theweatherman wrote:
theweatherman wrote:For me the theme in TDK is the nature of man whether he is naturally good or naturally evil. Its a very basic theme, but one that is still hotly debated by philosophers. Where this theme is made obvious is in the boat scene, but once you recognize it as the theme you realize that the main characters represent various stages of man's descent to evil. Batman represents the good and the Joker represents evil, while Dent is a good man who is corrupted by evil. Or if you could make the argument that all of them are evil as the Joker tries to do and that they will eventually fail at being good just as Dent did.

This is a huge difference than the rest of Nolan's films where good and evil are not so well-defined. Most of his films rely on a lot of grey areas and questionable characters (even Batman Begins to an extent), but the Dark Knight rises above that to represented one of the oldest philosophical debates known to mankind.

That's why I say the Dark Knight is his deepest film.
I thought I did a pretty good job explaining why I think the Dark Knight is so deep, but it was mostly ignored. Does this help answer your question Tykjen.
Sadly, your opinion is not what I wanted copy-pasted by RIFA. But I guess it's the best I will have to go with. Thanks.

But in my opinion The Dark Knight was predictable like Avatar in comparison to The Prestige. At least I knew Two Face was in the making with Rachel being his girl, I knew The Joker was not to be messed with from the opening scene. Batman was still in the making a year later after Begins, and far from a fully fledged super hero crime fighter..and he accepted in the end that he had to sacrifice himself for his crazed obsession of crime fighting. Being a vigilante is never the answer.