What is Nolan's deepest film? (themes & characters)

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.

What is Nolan's deepest film?

The Following
1%
Memento
24%
Insomnia
No votes
Batman Begins
No votes
The Prestige
32%
The Dark Knight
24%
Inception
19%

Total votes: 68

The Prestige has the most depth in a traditional sense but the two films that left the strongest impression on me were Memento and Inception, both because of their visual, musical and editorial style working in conjunction with the screenplay as opposed to the writing of the story/characters alone in films such as TDK and The Prestige - not that I don't like both those films, they're some of the best I've ever seen.

Indeed, Memento was also the Nolan Film that impressed me most.

Hard to choose between Memento and the Prestige :think: buuut I'll go with the Prestige.

christophmac wrote:The Prestige has the most depth in a traditional sense but the two films that left the strongest impression on me were Memento and Inception, both because of their visual, musical and editorial style working in conjunction with the screenplay as opposed to the writing of the story/characters alone in films such as TDK and The Prestige - not that I don't like both those films, they're some of the best I've ever seen.
Almost all of what you mentioned isn't relevant to what the thread is discussing, which I took to mean pure thematic depth.

I like Inception more than his other films but recognize it isn't as thematically heavy as the others...

-Vader

^ Same here, I haven't seen all of Nolan films but the story in Inception wasn't about hidden themes and philosophical messages as much as it was an excuse for nice drama and impressive visual. And I don't mean it in a bad I actually like it better that way.

Yusuf wrote:^ Same here, I haven't seen all of Nolan films but the story in Inception wasn't about hidden themes and philosophical messages as much as it was an excuse for nice drama and impressive visual. And I don't mean it in a bad I actually like it better that way.
I see the complete opposite. Inception is riddled with Jungian metaphors. That's the difference in people. We all have different experiences and perceptions gained from those experiences, which then let's us connect to movies in many different ways.

Flying Rodent wrote:Hard to choose between Memento and the Prestige :think: buuut I'll go with the Prestige.
I agree ;)

BlackBird wrote:
Flying Rodent wrote:Hard to choose between Memento and the Prestige :think: buuut I'll go with the Prestige.
I agree ;)
I agree too.

Oh wait...

If he manages to outdo himself and make something deeper than The Prestige..I will become lost in my own Limbo train of thoughts.

tykjen wrote:If he manages to outdo himself and make something deeper than The Prestige..I will become lost in my own Limbo train of thoughts.
Honestly, I think TDKR will be his most complex, thought provoking film once its released. I think from a literary perspective, we are going to get the deepest thing he's put out, until he does/possibly puts out a deeper one after.

Just a gut feeling I have, based on how Nolan stressed he didn't want to fall victim to 3rd installment shit syndrome.