Revamped Trailers Page

Nolan Fans forum announcements and news updates are posted here. Forum rules are also posted here. Using our message boards means you understand and accept all rules.
Hello everyone,

If you haven't heard us mention this earlier, we've been fiddling around with some HTML5 goodies that we'd like to bring to the website. The latest thing that I've been working on has been a new Trailers page for the site. I've been testing this stuff out (among other things) for about a week now, trying different video formats, quality settings, and other adjustments. I think we have something cool here and I'd like to share it with all of you.

http://www.nolanfans.com/trailers

I killed the Flash YouTube trailer embeds and replaced them with a set of more processor-friendly HTML5 video embeds. I would love to hear some feedback on this new setup. The videos should work perfectly for about 90% of you and I especially want to hear back if the videos were broken. (I think Firefox likes to wait until the videos are completely loaded before playing.) Please provide details such as your browser name and version, operating system, etc. if you encounter problems.

Let us know what you think! :)

Very nice. Would be better if it actually played well. It stutters bad, but I'll see if it's just buffering.

EDIT:
Yep. Just buffering issue.

it takes a lot of space that's for sure, but it really looks sleek here. Great job, Alex.

One note: The video doesn't start buffering when you click the play button. It takes a while before the buffering happens.
Google Chrome Stable
google-chrome-stable 8.0.552.237-r70801
Ubuntu Karmic Koala

It looks really nice, but it takes awhile to play on Firefox.

niniendowarrior wrote:One note: The video doesn't start buffering when you click the play button. It takes a while before the buffering happens.
I'm thinking this is because the videos aren't hosted from the same nolanfans.com domain. (I don't want to pay for all this bandwidth.) When you hit play, it has to go fetch the file to begin downloading. It's not taking me more than 5 seconds between the click to play and the green trailer screen's appearance. Is this about the same as what you're seeing?
chee wrote:It looks really nice, but it takes awhile to play on Firefox.
Yea. I also just noticed that Firefox 4 Beta 9 doesn't play the videos at all.
I need to think about this one for a bit. :think:

I'd wait until FireFox 4 is officially released, if I was you. They might fix it.

Then again, I'm not much of an HTML/web person so I dunno. :lol:

The trailer page look like this,

when i click play it become like this,

I can see the SAVE VIDEO AS option in context menu and able to download it..Is it becouse of HTML5?

AlexHaas wrote:
niniendowarrior wrote:One note: The video doesn't start buffering when you click the play button. It takes a while before the buffering happens.
I'm thinking this is because the videos aren't hosted from the same nolanfans.com domain. (I don't want to pay for all this bandwidth.) When you hit play, it has to go fetch the file to begin downloading. It's not taking me more than 5 seconds between the click to play and the green trailer screen's appearance. Is this about the same as what you're seeing?
Takes significantly longer. Enough for me to think that it isn't playing. Are you embedding another site's player or is the video player hosted in nolanfans.com while the content comes from somewhere else? If that's the case, then I can understand a bit of a pause. I'd suggest that if the content is coming elsewhere that the player shouldn't have to ping nolanfans.com anymore and go directly to the content provider.

EDIT:
Poked around on the video. I see what you're doing. Very nifty... but it still pauses quite a bit. I've tried the mp4 link you embedded on the page and it loads up in a snap. So, I'm inclined to think something is snagging the page. Most likely javascript...
AlexHaas wrote:
chee wrote:It looks really nice, but it takes awhile to play on Firefox.
Yea. I also just noticed that Firefox 4 Beta 9 doesn't play the videos at all.
I need to think about this one for a bit. :think:
Actually, I do think this has to be fixed. It should play regardless of the browser unless the final browser launches in like days.

This is why I don't chase HTMl 5. It's nice, but I'll wait for browser adoption before taking the leap. Too cutting edge for my taste.

wow i love it

It doesn't work at all for me on chrome.

theweatherman wrote:It doesn't work at all for me on chrome.
What's your OS and what happens on your end?