First Trailer for Interstellar to Debut with The Hobbit

Nolan Fans forum announcements and news updates are posted here. Forum rules are also posted here. Using our message boards means you understand and accept all rules.

According to Oleg Gaiko (via Interstellar-Movie.com), the international division of Warner Bros. confirmed with him that the first trailer for Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar will debut with The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug on December 11, 2013. By ‘first trailer’ we assume Gaiko means ‘teaser trailer’ — for those of you hopelessly hoping for a full length trailer so soon. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug stands to be the most successful film of the season, so it’s no wonder why Paramount and Warner Bros. would want the Interstellar teaser attached to it.

The teaser trailer for The Dark Knight Rises was attached to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, aka the largest worldwide opening of all time. Inception‘s teaser trailer debuted with Quentin Tarantino’s relatively tiny Inglourious Basterds. Warner Bros., who is handling the international distribution of Interstellar, is the studio behind The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. It will release on the same date worldwide, and will be featured in IMAX, IMAX 3D, and IMAX HFR 3D. Despite the strong IMAX presence Hobbit will have, I wouldn’t expect an IMAX prologue for Interstellar; a tradition Nolan made popular with The Dark Knight films.

Interstellar will likely just be wrapping up production by the time The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug debuts. Interstellar is set to be released just over a year from now on November 7, 2014.

Not even this is enough to make me go see The Hobbit, but I'm excited nonetheless.

If there was a prologue in front of HFR showings of Hobbit, I would seriously have to consider attending.

Couple of queries: November 14? I thought the release date was set a week earlier.

And the fact that Interstellar would wrap production by the time Smaug is released seems a little too farfetched given that Paul Franklin mentioned last month that there's around five and a half months of principal photography left.

Giant missed opportunity to put Matthew McConaughey's head on a hobbit or dwarf for that front page banner.

ChrisTilford wrote:Couple of queries: November 14? I thought the release date was set a week earlier.

And the fact that Interstellar would wrap production by the time Smaug is released seems a little too farfetched given that Paul Franklin mentioned last month that there's around five and a half months of principal photography left.
They have over 3 months worth of footage, I'm sure they can use whatever they have to create something that is 1 minute and 15 seconds long.

BlairCo wrote:
ChrisTilford wrote:Couple of queries: November 14? I thought the release date was set a week earlier.

They have over 3 months worth of footage, I'm sure they can use whatever they have to create something that is 1 minute and 15 seconds long.
That, I can agree. He was able to work TDKR's teaser with about 2 months worth of footage if I'm right.

ChrisTilford wrote:
BlairCo wrote:

That, I can agree. He was able to work TDKR's teaser with about 2 months worth of footage if I'm right.
Yes, but majority of the footage from that 2 months was from India and a bit of Pittsburgh. Nolan seems to have quite a couple of scenes already in the bag.

Cilogy wrote:Giant missed opportunity to put Matthew McConaughey's head on a hobbit or dwarf for that front page banner.
I thought about it, but I don't think it would connect the same way the Batman in Avengers or the Batman Holmes banners did. ;)

BlairCo wrote:
Yes, but majority of the footage from that 2 months was from India and a bit of Pittsburgh. Nolan seems to have quite a couple of scenes already in the bag.
And Given that Alberta & Iceland both wrapped ahead of schedule, they had more time to enhance enough stuff in post to create anticipation.

But wasn't most of the footage of TDKR's teaser based on London (Gordon's hospital) & Cardington footage (Bruce's pushups, the quick shot from the first fight & the figure climbing out of the prison)?