Hans Zimmer Talks About Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar

Nolan Fans forum announcements and news updates are posted here. Forum rules are also posted here. Using our message boards means you understand and accept all rules.

Speaking with Collider earlier this week, composer Hans Zimmer gave a little insight into the work being done on Christopher Nolan’s upcoming film Interstellar. The Oscar-winner also discussed the influence the music from The Dark Knight Trilogy has had on film music and blockbuster films, as well as just what he plans to do about that.

Back in June it was revealed that Hans Zimmer had already started playing with ideas and themes for Interstellar. In the recent interview, Hans stated he started writing the film’s theme all the way back in January, and since then, ideas have been floating around in his head regularly.
“At the back of my mind constantly I’m inventing stuff for Interstellar. Weirdly I’m a bit ahead on that one. Circumstances beyond my control, I wrote [Nolan] a main theme in January while he was writing. Sometimes it’s nice for a screenwriter not to just sit there by all himself, but to have a little piece of music to inspire. And I’m being vague, and I’m being in focus-Nolan-mode where I will not give anything away, but there’s a tune, there’s a theme there.”
Hans is quite aware of the influence the music from The Dark Knight Trilogy has had on the film music and film industry in general. We’ve seen countless action blockbuster scores use a very similar approach ever since Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard wrote the Batman Begins score in 2005. And now it appears the style and trademark sound of those scores are something that Zimmer and Nolan want to move away from for Interstellar.
“We had this sort of conversation about—you know nine years we spent in our Batman world. The textures, the music, and the sounds, and the thing we sort of created has sort of seeped into other people’s movies a bit, so it’s time to reinvent. The endless string ostinatos need to go by the wayside, the big drums are probably in the bin. So right now it’s sort of the time where I’m pondering what else we can do. There are a few ideas…”
In fact, it appears (unsurprisingly) that approach of breaking away from norms and expectations will apply to more than just the music of Interstellar.
“Chris feels the same challenge, ‘Let’s do something new. We have something to say.’ He really has got something to say, there’s a solid backbone to this thing and it’s an important story, and we want to tell it in a way that nobody else has ever done.”
The composer goes on to talk about how he was relieved to be finished with the Batman franchise, and more. The full interview is pretty insightful and entertaining, as most interviews with Hans Zimmer tend to be. Head over to Collider to check out the video of it in full.

Any noticed it in the interview Zimmer saying, "I wrote [Nolan] a main theme in January while he was writing…"

I really like the sound of this. As much as I love TDK trilogy's score, it started to get a little old by the final film. Elements could also be heard in Inception's booming score (perhaps turned up a notch), and I hope they tone it down a little.

“We had this sort of conversation about—you know nine years we spent in our Batman world. The textures, the music, and the sounds, and the thing we sort of created has sort of seeped into other people’s movies a bit, so it’s time to reinvent. The endless string ostinatos need to go by the wayside, the big drums are probably in the bin. So right now it’s sort of the time where I’m pondering what else we can do. There are a few ideas…”
thank FUCK he realizes this