Questions about audio recording

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Hi everyone! :D

My audio-related knowledge is next to zero and I'd like to shoot a zero/nano budget short film. I don't have any idea concerning microphones.

There won't be any action sequence but mostly there'll be dialogues. I googled a bit and found out there are lavalier microphones and "traditional" microphones. If I go for the second I'll need a boom, but I've seen it's doable an home-made version for little money. Instead, if I decide to use lavalier ones, they won't register anything of what happens around?

What could you suggest to me?

And, most of all, could you suggest links and/or books and/or other where I could gain information?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

I would probably go for a shotgun mic (one that goes on a boom pole) because it is likely that if you use a lavalier, it would be seen by the audience if you had the camera even somewhat close to the subject who is talking.

IDK what your budget is, but mine was on the cheaper end, so I ended up getting the rode ntg-2 for about $250. This mic is also nice beacuse it can be powered by a AA battery, but some mics can only run on phantom power (which, depending on your equipment, you may or may not have)
http://www.amazon.com/Rode-NTG2-Condens ... B00093ESSI

I got a painters pole and it attached nicely, then some xlr cable and boom, I'm basically set (except for where you connect it to if your audio recorder doesn't have have an xlr output, then there's more)

movieman1005 wrote:I would probably go for a shotgun mic (one that goes on a boom pole) because it is likely that if you use a lavalier, it would be seen by the audience if you had the camera even somewhat close to the subject who is talking.

IDK what your budget is, but mine was on the cheaper end, so I ended up getting the rode ntg-2 for about $250. This mic is also nice beacuse it can be powered by a AA battery, but some mics can only run on phantom power (which, depending on your equipment, you may or may not have)

I got a painters pole and it attached nicely, then some xlr cable and boom, I'm basically set (except for where you connect it to if your audio recorder doesn't have have an xlr output, then there's more)
I also own that mic, its a good mic. I would recommend it.
- if you are shooting in nature then consider buying a zeppelin for it. Or at least a dead-cat of some sort.

Thanks very much for your answers, but I've no money, I was thinking about 40/50 € (around 50/60 $) for the microphone, i know it's very little, but I can't afford more :neutral:

What kind of camera are you using?

Jonas Agersø wrote:
movieman1005 wrote:I would probably go for a shotgun mic (one that goes on a boom pole) because it is likely that if you use a lavalier, it would be seen by the audience if you had the camera even somewhat close to the subject who is talking.

I also own that mic, its a good mic. I would recommend it.
- if you are shooting in nature then consider buying a zeppelin for it. Or at least a dead-cat of some sort.
Yeah, I've been lookinga at those more recently, there has already been a time or two where they would come handy indeed. Do you suggest buying the one that is made for the ntg2 and similar models? http://www.amazon.com/Rode-Deadcat-Micr ... B000BH437S

Or are there any other better quality or cheaper ones that you know of?

Do you guys prefer to record with the mic directly into the camera? or do you record seperately and then sync in post?
I have the Zoom H1, seems pretty decent for the price (100 $) , but its not XLR .
I still need to learn how to use it properly though, not too sure about how directional it is and upto what distance it can be used.

ravi.or.raj wrote:Do you guys prefer to record with the mic directly into the camera? or do you record seperately and then sync in post?
I have the Zoom H1, seems pretty decent for the price (100 $) , but its not XLR .
I still need to learn how to use it properly though, not too sure about how directional it is and upto what distance it can be used.
I've always done it directly into the camera, mainly because of time and money. I keep going back and forth, though, as it can sometimes be easier to be able to move the mic and have the boom operator wherever it's convienient, and sound quality is supposed to be really good. But I've always had a fair amount of luck, and it's saving me a lot of time in post and money, so for the time being I've been doing in camera.
But in your situation I would say do some audio tests and some test films to see how it works out. The versatility of where you can record audio should be great. As far as how directional your mic is, what kind do you have? It could likely be very directional, meaning you want to point the tip of the mic towards your subject and as close as possible.

Oh, and to the original posted question, what about this mic (given your small price)?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... phone.html

Sorry, haven't been around for some days.

Anyway,
Delta0Medusa wrote:What kind of camera are you using?
Canon EOS 550D
movieman1005 wrote: Oh, and to the original posted question, what about this mic (given your small price)?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... phone.html
Thanks for the link, I usually buy on Amazon and it doesn't ship it outside USA. I'll look at the site you posted and hope they ship to Italy. Thanks to all anyway :)

Have you thought about dubbing?