Chasing Cars- New Short Film

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

The link is located at the bottom of this post. It was tough to make because I only had two hours to shoot it, and my actors are very inmature and have very short attention spans. I hope you can enjoy it, I've noticed alot of mistakes, so hopefully I can better myself in the future. As you can see I made a new YouTube page because "Hellvean" isn't very friendly. If I'm ever going to start to do weddings and actually get paid to do this ( :lol: ) i need a better name. So we came up with Crazy Eight Studios. :o This movie made it aparent that i need to buy mics and a depth of field adapter. i would also like a display screen. Film makeing is so damn expensive!! :( Watch in "HD" if you can. Honestly though, Youtubes idea of HD is a joke. If you have a Youtube account I'd apreciate it if you subscribe, but if you can't or don't want to it's now big deal. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JikGPI-KOsU

I really didn't get it...what was with the whole chase scene?

I think you should try and cut it down a little shorter.

Brendan M. wrote:I think you should try and cut it down a little shorter.
Agreed.

I originally had a lot more dialogue, but because i only had two hours to film I needed to cut most of it out. The kid with the hot wheels in his hand is supposed to be mental, or weird or something, messed up. Anyway, he wanted the other people (Cyrus and Jordon) to come see his new car, which your supposed to think is a hot wheels, but it turns out to be a 2010 Camaro. A really hot car. In the script, Nick explained why he had the gun, in a funny way, but again it had to be cut out because we didn't have time to spend more then 20 minutes on each scene, and we did lot's of retakes because they kept screwing up the lines I made them do. Moving on, the two "normal" kids ran away from Nick because they thought he would shoot them. And the chase scene was born. The whole bite about them at the garage sale was a fluke, we just happen to run onto a street that had a few garage sales going on so we decided to invade them. I felt really uncomfortable doing those scene's not knowing who the people were. So Nick ended up catching them and then the Camaro showed up and your supposed to be surprised because you should be think this whole time that the car he wanted to show them was a toy. In the end I never got the shot's i wanted because we were pushed for time and my friends were exhausted after having to do the chase scene at least 3 times (lots of retakes) by the time the camaro scene came around Nicks dad showed up wanting him to leave, plus it was ninety degree's and I had just run a mile with a tripod and camera in hand. Needless to say the movie didn't turn out how I wanted it to.

Hopefully once school starts I can get better actors and have more time to film because I will have a class dedicated to this. Honestly, It took me a month to schedule this because everyone seems to be busy during the summer, and I'm just happy I finished it. I'm actually writing a script for a double feature (10 minutes each) as we speak, but that one is going to have to wait till the end of the year because it's pretty big and will require lots of location shooting and different actors. I have to establish my self as a good film maker at my school before people will take time out of their day to film a movie. So expect better in the future, this one didn't turn out as i intended for various reasons that I already listed.

In the script, Nick explained why he had the gun, in a funny way, but again it had to be cut out because we didn't have time to spend more then 20 minutes on each scene
I think that the time you spent filming the chase scene could've been used for explanation of why he had the gun. The chase scene could've been a couple of shots that lasted for around 10 to 30 seconds. So instead of using that time to run all over the neighbourhood, spend the time somewhere else?

chee wrote:
In the script, Nick explained why he had the gun, in a funny way, but again it had to be cut out because we didn't have time to spend more then 20 minutes on each scene
I think that the time you spent filming the chase scene could've been used for explanation of why he had the gun. The chase scene could've been a couple of shots that lasted for around 10 to 30 seconds. So instead of using that time to run all over the neighbourhood, spend the time somewhere else?

Yeah, I should have. I tried that actually. I cut quite a bit of stuff from the final version, including some dialogue. But I had to cut the dialogue because my "actors" kept messing up there lines and laughing before they finished. There is one shot, I don't know if you remember it, when Cyrus and Jordon are walking down the stairs and he says "Damn it". On that shot I almost cut his line off, in fact i don't even think he finished it, but immediately after he kept walking down the stairs and started to laugh. It happened quite a bite. So I figured I'd stick to the stuff that didn't involve audio (Chase, Camaro) to avoid frustration and to get it done. But your absolutely right. I need to focus more on story then I do music, action and nice cars. Which hopefully I can do with the more time, actors and locations I’ll have access to in the up coming months. Thanks for the feed back Chee, much appreciated and it helps me to grow and become a better film maker. :thumbup:

I tend to be critical the most towards short films by students and beginners that involve chase scenes, or if the film is just one big chase. Because all they usually ever are is just a bunch of shots of people running around in and out of each frame and involves nothing to keep me interested in why these people are running around after each other.

I think Chee has already hit the nail on the head so I have nothing else to add, except maybe the one recommendation that maybe you shouldn't make your audience have to sit through Hannah Montana at the end, even if its just the credits.

Brendan M. wrote:I tend to be critical the most towards short films by students and beginners that involve chase scenes, or if the film is just one big chase. Because all they usually ever are is just a bunch of shots of people running around in and out of each frame and involves nothing to keep me interested in why these people are running around after each other.

I think Chee has already hit the nail on the head so I have nothing else to add, except maybe the one recommendation that maybe you shouldn't make your audience have to sit through Hannah Montana at the end, even if its just the credits.
Yeah, the Miley Cyrus thing was joke. Thanks for the feedback. :thumbup:

lol, the Hannah Montana was torture. D:

:P