"Wake" - short film with Nolan influences

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Hello there. I mentioned this in my other thread, but I thought I would create another solely for this topic. Anyway, I have co-written, produced and directed a short film entitled Wake. The story finds young Max (Joshua Brail) who is faced with confronting the death of his mother (Christina Thodos), while his father, Albert (Greg Schweiner), tries desperately to repair the broken relationship with his son.

When I set out to create Wake, I made it in the vein of several of my favorite filmmakers, including Darren Aronosfky and most notably Christopher Nolan. Insomnia was a big inspiration for me because of the way Nolan allowed you to creep into the psychologically tormented mind of Detective Will Dormer. You really felt his insomnia and his guilt and in that same basic fundamental way I wanted to bring the audience into the guilt-ridden mind of my main character, Max.

I hope I was successful, but I'll let you guys be the judge.

Nicely done, a very compelling story!

Your cinematography was really well done, and I love the use of flashbacks (very Nolan :D )

Well done.

Seriously incredible! although i dont see any Aronofsky influence, there is quite a bit of Nolan-esque stuff. Great! Better than most of the stuff in theaters now, anyway.

Yeah this was very very good.

Here's a link to the 1080p version of the film on Vimeo.

Amazing! I liked your cinematography. What type of camera/equipment did you use? Because this is how I want my short film to look. I don't want to it to look "Ammeter-ish"

WOW, I really like your film. From the beginning until the end. Really Nolan-esce, flashback, broken characters. :twothumbsup: :clap: