Camera - What do you use

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Been wondering about that honestly.ImageEven my external is in red.

I use a camera with a lens.

Black Magic URSA Mini

pics or it didn't happen (of what you shot)

When the film is done editing I'll post some grabs

Canon 5D Mark IV. I am quite new to video and mostly take stills, so I'm not entirely sure whether I'll stick with a DSLR or move to something more relevant.

Cine lenses are incredibly expensive too, so right now I am just using Sigma Art lenses but may pick up some Rokinon Cine lenses.

We shot our latest short film project with a Sony FS7, I really liked it (director's point of view).

starting pre-prod on a film with the Aaton XTR Prod. (Super-16)

Michaelf2225 wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 11:02 am
DHOPW42 wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 9:56 am
We shot our latest short film project with a Sony FS7, I really liked it (director's point of view).
Did you guys use DSLRs at all prior to moving to dedicated hardware?

I'd really like to try my hand at all this and have been toying with buying a nice video body for weddings and wildlife, so I don't know if I should wait and get a dedicated body or get a gimbal etc for my DSLR.

Thanks!

MikeUK wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 1:12 am
Michaelf2225 wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 11:02 am
DHOPW42 wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 9:56 am
Did you guys use DSLRs at all prior to moving to dedicated hardware?

I'd really like to try my hand at all this and have been toying with buying a nice video body for weddings and wildlife, so I don't know if I should wait and get a dedicated body or get a gimbal etc for my DSLR.

Thanks!
well, most of the films i've made have been shot on DSLRs or mirrorless cameras. i'm only now getting to the point where i can get better equipment, and know enough of what i'm doing that i can take advantage of that equipment

if you can afford an Alexa or a RED or something, that's great, but if you don't understand how to visually tell a story, it won't matter how good the camera is

EDIT: anyways, the 5d mk IV is more than good enough for shooting weddings and wildlife i feel it's important i make that note