Letters on the Lake

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

It's been a few months since I've made a film, my last being Clairvoyant, which I wasn't thrilled about. So in an effort to keep myself active with my equipment and software, I decided to film this with some friends.

The plot is simple.
Ailman is a comic book artist/author. While taking a summer off at his parents cabin on the lake, he starts receiving oddly personal letters from a "mysterious person".

The ending is up for interpretation, I'll answer questions about it if you don't understand, but I won't make up your mind for you.

We had a fun time making this, or not making it, but having fun on the lake in between takes. Any crit would be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO8vDOj8nRM

watching now
Last edited by #1fan on August 9th, 2010, 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

#1fan wrote:watching now
it is really good.
a little slow, especially when the letter is burning.

the ending
:shock: :o
very good
took me by surprise. did not expect it yet i am satisfied.

Nice ending!

It was good. Agreed with #1 Fan, it was a bit slow at times. But overall it was pretty good. Keep up the good work.

i liked it :thumbup:
Why you lurking my page brah?

I liked it! It's good. If I have to be honest, your best I've seen untill now.

I really like the shot at 3:39, where the boat is moving, but it looks like the shore is. Nice shot!
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

what is your interpretation of the ending?

Thanks for all of the kind comments!

#1fan, I've sent you a PM.

I agree with all the positive feedback you're getting Keegan. Have you ever considered sending any of these to any film festivals or short film showcases? You probably should. The lonely comic book writer might also be a cool character to explore further in future works.

Here are just some two minor criticisms that I hope help you. I had a little hard of a time hearing at first the V.O. bit about women and had to play it back again. I'd consider recording that bit again. I think he might have just said the word too fast and I almost missed what he was talking about. The last thing is I'd recommend trying to find some unrecognizable music for your films before resorting to the popular ones from other films. You don't want your audience to be thinking about Philidelphia while they're watching your film.

Very nice job.

How long did this take to shoot?