Your way into Hollywood?

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Hey there,

Last night, there was a guy here asking a donation from us so that he can take a film course. Now, apperantly that was against the rules of this forum, because the topic has been removed.
In that topic I typed quite a long reply (which took me a long time, since I used my iPod for that) about how you don't nesserely need a film course/ study to become a director. I posted my story and my thoughts on it, my question to you all is;
How are you making your way into Hollywood? Are you going to film school? If not, what do you do?

Topic starter kicks off;
I'm a student Mechanical Engineering, so no film school for me. Besides that, I have no money, nor the equipment, nor the cast and crew to make my own short films. My way into the film industries is a whole different way, because right now I am writing.
I already wrote a lot screenplays. A few features, but more shorts. I stopped writing features because I can't manage to get them produced in the near future. The shorts I write are most of the time for other people. In the last months I have written 4 short films for people here on the board. It's just a matter of time before production starts. And then there is the collaboration project for which I am the leading writer for.
The people who I wrote for, all say that my screenplays are from a descent quality.

I write for a lot of different people and projects. It does not really matter for who I write.
By doing this writing, I get credit for a lot of short movies. If I keep doing this, my name will turn up more and more. This must be a good way to start. The only thing I rely on is the short film itself. If the people I wrote for make a bad movie out of it, the writer looks bad too. But if my screenplays stay from a good quality, the director has a good foundation.
Right now, I have a writing job, to write a feature length script for a friend. I haven't started yet, because I miss some details he wants in the movie. It's gonna be a low budget drama film about some kind of 'gang'-war between two different races on a high school. Perhaps this can be a kick start for me as a writer (even though the movie is gonna be Dutch).

So that is pretty much my story. What is yours?
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

I live in Texas. Not the best place for someone who wants to become a filmmaker. There are literally no connections out here. But I plan on going to film school at UT Austin since the film school is rated as one of the top ten in the country.

Since you have written a lot of screenplays, have you thought about getting an agent?

akv1984 wrote:Since you have written a lot of screenplays, have you thought about getting an agent?
Not really. I still don't quite now how the whole agent thingy works...
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

I am a political science student, but have a friend studying film. I have a number of ideas for films have begun writing a couple of them. Not sure where it will lead, but I enjoy doing it, so I don't really care if it leads anywhere.

Nothing out here in Wisconsin. I'm still in high school and for right now am trying to do as many projects as possible before graduating. I don't know if film school is right for me, since I believe I learn so much making my own projects. I might go for something like a literature major in college (to help with screenwriting, which I struggle with the most sometimes).

I know I'll be going to bigger cities during or after college like Chicago, etc., maybe eventually NY or LA. I guess for now, though, if I ever thought I had a chance, it would be that one project that somehow leads to this and that like dominos. I'm not counting on anything, but I have faith. If I can tell the stories I want to tell, I think that's what I really need.

I hear of all these aspiring film makers trying to make it despite having lack of educational means and money and it makes me feel like a big jerk because I come from a wealthy family and I am going to be going to London Film School, and I am going to be able to shoot in film rather then digital which in my opinion is a mistake alot of new filmmakers are making.

But at the end of the day it boils down to talent and personal drive. Quentin Tarantino has no formal education and look where he is.
Why you lurking my page brah?

Dodd wrote:I hear of all these aspiring film makers trying to make it despite having lack of educational means and money and it makes me feel like a big jerk because I come from a wealthy family and I am going to be going to London Film School, and I am going to be able to shoot in film rather then digital which in my opinion is a mistake alot of new filmmakers are making.

But at the end of the day it boils down to talent and personal drive. Quentin Tarantino has no formal education and look where he is.
Guy Ritchie and Nolan himself too!

Dodd wrote:I am going to be able to shoot in film rather then digital which in my opinion is a mistake alot of new filmmakers are making.
One of the single dumbest comments I have read on this forum. Digital cameras are fantastic for new filmmakers. Nobody can just go out a buy a Panavision (literally, NOBODY), this statement is just pure ignorance.

My way into Hollywood? I dont know yet. I'm 13 so I dont want to think about that know :think:

CrazyEight wrote:
Dodd wrote:I am going to be able to shoot in film rather then digital which in my opinion is a mistake alot of new filmmakers are making.
One of the single dumbest comments I have read on this forum. Digital cameras are fantastic for new filmmakers. Nobody can just go out a buy a Panavision (literally, NOBODY), this statement is just pure ignorance.
that was just my opinion, their is no need to be mean.
Why you lurking my page brah?