The Book

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

#1fan wrote: sorry for people waiting filiming is not done

pre-modana actors and friends thinking of me as their friend not a director are to blame
filming will be finish tomorrow editing will hopefully be done as of mid-late September

in the process of putting the whole movie on disk but here is a short snippet

will be uploading movie in the next 10 minutes

where did you upload the movie? because I didn't find it here

Shaman wrote:where did you upload the movie? because I didn't find it here
sorry
i forgot to post it
Watch in HD 720p

feedback?

The concept is interesting, but if you wanted it to be taken seriously, you should have treated it a little more serious. It's obvious you didn't spend much time on it. I understand how the lack of proper equipment can be a handicap. But don't let it effect you. Use it to the movies advantage. Make the film as if it should've looked the way it looked.

EliMichelMan wrote:The concept is interesting, but if you wanted it to be taken seriously, you should have treated it a little more serious. It's obvious you didn't spend much time on it. I understand how the lack of proper equipment can be a handicap. But don't let it effect you. Use it to the movies advantage. Make the film as if it should've looked the way it looked.
well i spent about 5 months on it (writting and pre production mainly) so thats a plus
the seriousness is mainly about how the actors portrayed their roles, which i blame me and them for but they were in it for fun so i didn't be hard on them
but thanks for watching it

I think you wasted 5 months. Let me explain why;

A few months ago, you let me read the screenplay and I gave feedback on it. The screenplay itself is not bad. I thought it wasn't the best short ever, but a good foundation for a short film. The acting is, like you said yourself, pretty bad, but that's not the worst. The worst is the fact that the graphics look so bad. You should have waited with this one untill you have more possibilities for graphics. Now the movie looks like crap.

What you should have done, is making short films that you can produce. Do you remember Letters On The Lake, by CrazyEight (it's on the board, check it out if you hadn't yet). That one was easy to produce, had a simple screenplay, didn't requere a lot of acting and was just solid!
In 5 months, I bet you could have made 3 short films like that and they are a lot better than this one.

If you keep on making movies like this, you'll never be taken serious as an aspiring filmmaker. Keep it silmple!
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

I have to be honest here; I agree with the guys on most of the points: the graphics looked bad, especially with the shaking camera when you go from one screen to another. The acting wasn't the worst thing, the actors should have sunk more into the characters, you know, "reacting rather than acting". The choice of music was fine, but sometimes it felt too much for the scene it's based on.

What I really want to attract your attention to is the cinematography: the camera angles were very bad, and for me that was the kill point. when the camera moved it was shaking, most of the time it was out of focus, and sometimes it got too close to objects (like the library scene, the books were very close to the camera). The dialogue wasn't clear sometimes, but that's not very important.

As Erik said, you should really work on keeping your ideas simple, and if sometime you get an idea that you really like but it's complicated, work out ways of doing it. You know, Christopher Nolan is constantly doing that with his movies; using creativity as a force that moves his projects forwards.