Noise (short film, 2016)

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Alberto wrote:Those Samyang lenses sure are nice.

And the score? Was it a friend of yours or you had to "ask for favors"? :D
The score is done by the older brother of my cinematographer, so kind of both :D You can actually hear the score he's done in this trailer... I think it will be quite nice :)

Here are a few screenshots from today's extra shooting. We only recorded cutscenes today.

DHOPW42 wrote:
Alberto wrote:Those Samyang lenses sure are nice.

And the score? Was it a friend of yours or you had to "ask for favors"? :D
The score is done by the older brother of my cinematographer, so kind of both :D You can actually hear the score he's done in this trailer... I think it will be quite nice :)
Yeah, that's why I was asking, the score in the trailer suited the images pretty good.

It's always hard to find composers who would do the work for free / low pay. Been there.

Can't wait to see it, though.

DHOPW42 wrote:
T-minus 10 wrote:Indeed, some great shots there, and loved the look of the film. It would be nice if you can talk about some of the filmmaking tools you used like what type of lenses. And I reckon it was tough to do it in 4k considering the huge size of each file!.
Well, the size of everything we shot comes down to 330 GB altogether, so yeah, the files are quite huge. Thus, editing in this case is not the easiest, as my computer - even though it's strong - is not a brand new one (it's around four years old), so you can barely see continuous footage in Premiere. It's all lagging all the time :D But it could be worse.

As I've said, we used a Canon EOS-1D C camera with four different lenses, these were:

Samyang 24mm t1.5
Samyang 14mm t3.1
Samyang 50 mm t1.5
Canon CN-E 24mm T1.5 L F Cine Lens

We had five shooting days including an extra shooting that took place today, and each day we shot for 5-6 hours I think. One day we even had the opportunity to go into a film studio and shoot some scenes there (both me and my cinematographer friend are attending a film school here in Budapest and they have some sort of a contract with this film studio... it's actually the same studio where films like Inferno was shot with Tom Hanks, and also the new Blade Runner movie will shoot here :D).

It was actually a small crew... just me and my cinematographer :D We wanted to keep it as simple as possible. We also used a Ronin camera stabilizer one day... we had a focus puller that same day, but that's it :D Just the two of us and the three actors. We shot in 4K because we wanted to have the sharpest and most detailed image possible, and also because if anything goes wrong you can still easily crop a 4K image in Premiere :D

Apart from the camera and the lenses, not much to say, to be honest... we didn't have anything special with us (except for the Ronin), and we tried to shoot as simple as possible, with the least crew possible. We wanted to keep it real simple... mostly because I didn't have any money to pay people, and I hate to ask for favours :D So next time I hope to have a bigger budget (or a budget at all) so that I can "hire" more people who can help with the logistics and stuff. But now it was only the two of us. Still, it was fun, and I'm still way into editing. It will be finished in one or two weeks, so I will post it here when it's done :)
Thanx man for these details :twothumbsup: greatly appreciated it. And really hope to see it all once its finished. All the best of luck.

P.s: what type of computer you are using?

T-minus 10 wrote:Thanx man for these details :twothumbsup: greatly appreciated it. And really hope to see it all once its finished. All the best of luck.

P.s: what type of computer you are using?
Well it's a regular PC, it has an Intel Core i7-2600K processor, 8GB RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 6970 graphics card... four years old, but I'm still able to edit 4K videos... okay, just barely :D Luckily Premiere allows you to downgrade the quality of the videos temporarily while editing, and that's actually of great help.

We want to create a weird dream sequence in this film using no special effects, only the camera and the lights and some tools (like glass, water, oil, etc.). We wanted to create a sort of cosmic atmosphere, sometimes we even tried to re-create the look of Hubble images about the deep Universe and stuff like that... I'm not sure how it will look in the film, it certainly looks very different from what we've shot so far in tone and in color... but I actually like that. Anyway, here are a few shots I thought were nice:

DHOPW42 wrote:We want to create a weird dream sequence in this film using no special effects, only the camera and the lights and some tools (like glass, water, oil, etc.). We wanted to create a sort of cosmic atmosphere, sometimes we even tried to re-create the look of Hubble images about the deep Universe and stuff like that... I'm not sure how it will look in the film, it certainly looks very different from what we've shot so far in tone and in color... but I actually like that. Anyway, here are a few shots I thought were nice:

Whoa...really cool. Reminds me of Stanley Donwood's art for Radiohead's album In Rainbows
So in other words, I really like it. Good job man.

Cheers! :)

The original soundtrack will be finished soon, so hopefully we can come out with this in 1-2 weeks.

DHOPW42 wrote:We want to create a weird dream sequence in this film using no special effects, only the camera and the lights and some tools (like glass, water, oil, etc.). We wanted to create a sort of cosmic atmosphere, sometimes we even tried to re-create the look of Hubble images about the deep Universe and stuff like that... I'm not sure how it will look in the film, it certainly looks very different from what we've shot so far in tone and in color... but I actually like that. Anyway, here are a few shots I thought were nice:

Dis. I liek Dis.

DHOPW42 wrote:Here are a few screenshots from today's extra shooting. We only recorded cutscenes today.

I really love this angle and shot