The Chip - Contemporary Scifi Comedy

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

A whole lot of unnecessary gravitas surrounds this contemporary scifi film about a dangerous mission to retrieve a stolen chip that is vital to national security. This is a special effects heavy student film directed by me from two years ago edited with Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro. I present to you..... The Chip.

The conversion failed to put it to 1080p when we published it so the screen is small, but the story is still grandiose and self important.... Not!

Wow, that was awful. I'll write my full review on why and ways to improve it when i get home from work. Watch this space. But yeah. Really not very good.

i'm seriously considering the possibility of freak being a troll

if your most recent movie was panned then why would post one you made two years ago?

It's supposed to be a special effects student film that I made for a class. The story obviously sucks, but we were trying to make a small scale action flick. I just wanted to know what you all thought on the special effects that we created.

prince0gotham wrote:i'm seriously considering the possibility of freak being a troll

i give up

The story wasn't the point of the video though, it was the special effects. That's what the project was, we had to have a certain number of VFX shots, but we decided to make a linear story with it too. A really stupid, linear story that we improvised on the spot.

Other people that are bold enough to expose their work to the critical public eye usually go to some lengths of effort to prepare a good short. What you did, twice, doesn't come even near that. It's an extremely confusing no-story/no-script sloppy video that barely qualifies as a 'short'. But you say it's about the effects. You mean explosions and lightnings presets? I can't impress my grandma with something so basic, let alone NF. I don't know what's going on in your head when you link these, but it's hard to believe you're not just someone who's using someone else's ridiculous videos as a joke, because otherwise you'd have to be pretty oblivious to the situation. It's disrespectful to people that've actually put effort in their work to just do something with your friends that's obviously mostly for the fun of it and then go on a movie forum and seek approval.

And i'm someone who always shies away of bashing people's shorts...

I didn't mean any disrespect. We actually put a lot of time into this during the editing process and even during the filming process for logistical reasons. We had to make storyboards and turn them in. This was actually planned out and we worked hard on it. We also had fun with it which is why he had some dumb jokes and the chip ended up being a chip you eat (it's a dumb twist, I know) but we got an A+ on what the teacher was looking for which was the VFX and storyboarding whereas everyone else in the class got B's or lower. My previous film that I posted on here was awful, but it was honestly a test run for something I have in mind that I can expand upon once I go to college in literally a year from now. I wanted people to critique that one too. I post these because people that I know will just say "it's good" because they don't want to make me feel bad even though I won't feel bad. I just appreciate people's constructive criticism on here because people on here know filmmaking more than people I know in real life. I'm sorry if you considered viewing this a waste of time because that was not my intention.