BECOMING

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

My latest short film. "Becoming" is a short story about the 'natural' confusion that would occur when man is turned into a Vampire. Thoughts are, as always and inherently, welcome. Constructive criticism encouraged.

https://vimeo.com/63084403

Not a big enough scale for my liking.

Pretty good. Nice backlit shots. It would've been more interesting if you would make it a bit longer in two parts instead. The first part focusing on the guy alone thinking about the past with the flashbacks only featuring him and not his friend in a couple of different environments and the second part focusing on the attack with flashbacks now including both of them. With two different musics.
Last edited by Master Virgo on April 1st, 2013, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I quite liked it. Really liked the lighting and camera work, specifically. I'm taking notes lOl

edit: Oh and F.O. Allstar. Srs
Sigs???

It's obviously pretty evident you're working around not wanting to have dialogue/your actors actually do anything involving acting, but aside of that, well done and that. What we've come to expect: small/clever stories that have unusually good photography for someone in your position.

My advice? Watch a lot of silent movies featuring elaborate scenes to inspire you to create a (much) larger scared short without really needing your actors (friends) to do much. That'll show off what you can do far more, and it'll be something 'real' you can market yourself with.

-Vader

:clap: :twothumbsup: Great job.

Also checked out some of your other videos. I really enjoyed the camera work in the one on France. :clap:
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

This was pretty good.
The great cinematography and good use of soundtrack create a great atmosphere!
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Vader182 wrote:It's obviously pretty evident you're working around not wanting to have dialogue/your actors actually do anything involving acting, but aside of that, well done and that. What we've come to expect: small/clever stories that have unusually good photography for someone in your position.

My advice? Watch a lot of silent movies featuring elaborate scenes to inspire you to create a (much) larger scared short without really needing your actors (friends) to do much. That'll show off what you can do far more, and it'll be something 'real' you can market yourself with.

-Vader
Thanks personally. This advice is also useful too me.

I more or less can understand why C8 avoid giving his 'actors' a lot of acting to do because when you work with unprofessional people they're really helpful but you have to be subtle or it'll be awful. :lol: :lol: Sometimes, however, I also find more interesting to try to experiment with the camera and the 'actors' body language more than with dialogue, maybe it's a phase I don't know. :lol:

As for BECOMING it was pretty great. :clap: I especially love the way you dictated the tension using the music and your cinematography is great as always.

Edit: Now I've seen your avy and I understand why did you want to make a short about a vampire. :lol: :lol: How much time did you need to record/edit this short, I'm curious. :modesty:
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

Thanks for the tips and kind words, always appreciated, haha.

didich, total shooting time was probably 6 or 7 hours. I always shoot and edit the scene mentally before hand, but various pragmatic problems occur that usually end up with the end result semantically hardly resembling my shot list, which slows it down. Plus, when using friends as actors, retakes are pretty common, haha. I set a new personal record actually... eighteen takes for one of the flood pipe shots, and I still firmly believe that despite the number of retakes it's the weakest bit of the short. Editing I honestly don't know. I spent roughly two days on it... so maybe in the same ballpark as filming... 6 or 7 hours.

Yeah, Buffy. I'm relatively fresh to the show (haven't finished it or Angel yet), but it kind of spawned an interest that led into reading up on classic lore and finally reading Dracula, which I loved, prior to making this, haha.

Crazy Eight wrote:Thanks for the tips and kind words, always appreciated, haha.

didich, total shooting time was probably 6 or 7 hours. I always shoot and edit the scene mentally before hand, but various pragmatic problems occur that usually end up with the end result semantically hardly resembling my shot list, which slows it down. Plus, when using friends as actors, retakes are pretty common, haha. I set a new personal record actually... eighteen takes for one of the flood pipe shots, and I still firmly believe that despite the number of retakes it's the weakest bit of the short. Editing I honestly don't know. I spent roughly two days on it... so maybe in the same ballpark as filming... 6 or 7 hours.

Yeah, Buffy. I'm relatively fresh to the show (haven't finished it or Angel yet), but it kind of spawned an interest that led into reading up on classic lore and finally reading Dracula, which I loved, prior to making this, haha.
Ever think about being in front of the camera as well? I guess that would mean putting the camera in someone else's hands though and it's already hard enough to tell your friends how to act. It's fucking hard to explain to your numbskull friends how you want a shot to look :lol:

But yeah man it was shot and edited very well. You know what your doing.
Say Girl