Please Critique the Opening of this Screenplay

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Thanks!!!
Last edited by FreakLikeMe on June 26th, 2013, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's hard to tell which direction you are going with this. It is called 'The Bomb' and you start with a letter from Einstein in which he talks about the possibilities of nuclear weapons, so we know it's about the Atomic Bomb. It makes me think it will eventually be about the Manhattan Project. However, at this point it is also still possible that you're making a movie set in an alternative universe where Germany invented the atomic bomb first.
I would advise you, that if you're posting 7 pages of a bigger script on this website, you give a little more info or just even the direction. Like; "Hey, I'm writing a script about the Manhattan Project. Here are the first pages, what do you think?".
We can only give feedback on things that are clear to us. Otherwise all of our feedback would be "please explain more?"

But, okay. Let's put that aside.
Right now, you've made an opening for a historical movie. I feel that you've set a good atmosphere that attracts my attention. In just 7 pages, you've created 3 different storylines (Sachs, Roosevelt and the Invasion) that exact tell you what you need to know. On the 7th page, Sachs leaves to go to Roosevelt, which would combine 2 of those 3 storylines and the third one is actually already done. The invasion has ended.
Scriptwise, it looks good. There were some small things that need to be corrected (pg. 3: CLOSE UP on German platoons storming up a land bridge. You probably mean INSERT CUT instead of CLOSE UP). Dialogue; fine, some small details that you'll probably manage to correct during a second draft, except one thing; "I wouldn't be too worried, it's probably a trick of the light." Everyone felt in Europe felt war. I think that a seargent would have doublechecked the ship instead of saying that.

But the only main that does concern me are the historic facts.
You quoted 2 conversations. Einsteins letter and Chamberlains speech. How accurate are these quotes? Is this exactly what they wrote/said? I haven't checked, have you? (If so, no problem. If not, you might want to check it!)
The assault on the Jewish family in Poland. To me, that does not feel like something that would have happened. I haven't checked this, but I thought that when the Germans invaded Poland they did not prosecute Jews right away. I mean, think about it for a second. What would you do? First conquer the entire country and stabalise it under your control or kill 'random' citizens first? Have you found a source that Germans would torment Jews in Poland on the first day of the invasion already?

But overall, these 7 pages caught my interest. Usually a producer would read the first 10/20 pages of a script and if they don't like it so far, they abandon it. If you would have continiued writing like this, I wouldn't abandon your script!
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Erik wrote:It's hard to tell which direction you are going with this. It is called 'The Bomb' and you start with a letter from Einstein in which he talks about the possibilities of nuclear weapons, so we know it's about the Atomic Bomb. It makes me think it will eventually be about the Manhattan Project. However, at this point it is also still possible that you're making a movie set in an alternative universe where Germany invented the atomic bomb first.
I would advise you, that if you're posting 7 pages of a bigger script on this website, you give a little more info or just even the direction. Like; "Hey, I'm writing a script about the Manhattan Project. Here are the first pages, what do you think?".
We can only give feedback on things that are clear to us. Otherwise all of our feedback would be "please explain more?"

But, okay. Let's put that aside.
Right now, you've made an opening for a historical movie. I feel that you've set a good atmosphere that attracts my attention. In just 7 pages, you've created 3 different storylines (Sachs, Roosevelt and the Invasion) that exact tell you what you need to know. On the 7th page, Sachs leaves to go to Roosevelt, which would combine 2 of those 3 storylines and the third one is actually already done. The invasion has ended.
Scriptwise, it looks good. There were some small things that need to be corrected (pg. 3: CLOSE UP on German platoons storming up a land bridge. You probably mean INSERT CUT instead of CLOSE UP). Dialogue; fine, some small details that you'll probably manage to correct during a second draft, except one thing; "I wouldn't be too worried, it's probably a trick of the light." Everyone felt in Europe felt war. I think that a seargent would have doublechecked the ship instead of saying that.

But the only main that does concern me are the historic facts.
You quoted 2 conversations. Einsteins letter and Chamberlains speech. How accurate are these quotes? Is this exactly what they wrote/said? I haven't checked, have you? (If so, no problem. If not, you might want to check it!)
The assault on the Jewish family in Poland. To me, that does not feel like something that would have happened. I haven't checked this, but I thought that when the Germans invaded Poland they did not prosecute Jews right away. I mean, think about it for a second. What would you do? First conquer the entire country and stabalise it under your control or kill 'random' citizens first? Have you found a source that Germans would torment Jews in Poland on the first day of the invasion already?

But overall, these 7 pages caught my interest. Usually a producer would read the first 10/20 pages of a script and if they don't like it so far, they abandon it. If you would have continiued writing like this, I wouldn't abandon your script!
Thanks for taking the time to read this! To answer some of your questions, it is indeed about the Manhattan Project, the letter and speech are mostly word for word (some of it is cut down to what is necessary), I believe you're right about the Jewish family scene I want to make this very historically accurate so I'll change that out. Thank you.
President and Chief Financial Officer of The Official Faora Fan Club Est. 2013