Superhero Short

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Erik wrote:Congratulations with your comic! I really have to make time to watch your movie... :silent:
ha no worries. I know how it goes. Just watch the first half-- that's 10 min :)

Gratz on the wonderful work!
The actor that played the guy that sent an uncoded message to the main character and was then pointing a gun at him... This one had something of Jim Carrey in him, something in the eyes and the wrinkles... I dunno.

Anyway I'm gonna buy a Sony Z7E soon and gonna start some projects of my own, but till then all I can do is look at other people's work, which is nice too : ) .

prince0gotham wrote:Gratz on the wonderful work!
The actor that played the guy that sent an uncoded message to the main character and was then pointing a gun at him... This one had something of Jim Carrey in him, something in the eyes and the wrinkles... I dunno.

Anyway I'm gonna buy a Sony Z7E soon and gonna start some projects of my own, but till then all I can do is look at other people's work, which is nice too : ) .
Thanks! The actor is Camden Toy-- he was in a number of episodes of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, Angel, etc. He was also the newsreel voice in the intro.

The Z7E is a good camera-- though if you can get a different model that does 1080P instead of 1080i, you'd be in even better shape :)

Kyle Higgins wrote:

Thanks! The actor is Camden Toy-- he was in a number of episodes of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, Angel, etc. He was also the newsreel voice in the intro.

The Z7E is a good camera-- though if you can get a different model that does 1080P instead of 1080i, you'd be in even better shape :)
Depends on whether i can afford it right now and whether it costs more than the Z7E which i persume it does.

prince0gotham wrote:
Kyle Higgins wrote:

Depends on whether i can afford it right now and whether it costs more than the Z7E which i persume it does.
Yeah I know what you mean. I believe it does...

What kind of projects are you looking to shoot?

Kyle Higgins wrote:
Yeah I know what you mean. I believe it does...

What kind of projects are you looking to shoot?
Since I'm only 20 years old and yet just starting I don't plan on limiting myself with anything, having in mind I am already very limited in resources as a beginner. I will try everything that I can at first and am then going to specialize into a certain concept or genre. Tho, as a Nolan fan, you can guess what kind of concepts or genres I got affinity and liking to :P .

The idea is pretty much making miracles out of nothing as Nolan did at the start with Memento being only a 300 000 dollar budgeted movie. Paranormal activity had a budget of about 15-20 thousand most of which went for the camera I think, tho I dunno whether its success should count having in mind it's a horror and horror sells a lot.

I got several ideas running around in my mind and am working on several scripts most of which revolve around the motives for obsession, mistakes, regret, fault, arrogance, vanity and pretty much everything negative about any person. Tho I'm kind of sure that my first projects won't be 'visual treats' like yours, because yours is perfectly done visually and although I admire that I plan on doing something different.

They have cheaper 1080p cameras. The 7D will give you just as good if not better looking images and it's half the price. Plus you can use 35mm lenses, which give you depth of field control. I have the T2i (The 7D's "little brother") and the images I get from it are fantastic. Plus the Canon DSLR's low light capabilities are MUCH better then the camera your looking at, so you will be able to get much clearer and less grainy shots at night. The season finale of "House" was shot with the Canon 5D MK II and 7D, just an example to check out.

CrazyEight wrote:They have cheaper 1080p cameras. The 7D will give you just as good if not better looking images and it's half the price. Plus you can use 35mm lenses, which give you depth of field control. I have the T2i (The 7D's "little brother") and the images I get from it are fantastic. Plus the Canon DSLR's low light capabilities are MUCH better then the camera your looking at, so you will be able to get much clearer and less grainy shots at night. The season finale of "House" was shot with the Canon 5D MK II and 7D, just an example to check out.
You are right about the MKII, my father has one and it's a beast. Actually it's his second one his appartment got robbed and he lost his first one.

But there's a big BUT and it's that although the MKII has been proven to be very useful and quality tool and product I still need and want to learn to work with a HVR camcorder and a camera as a whole, not DSLR nevermind how good visuals it provides. I mean yes, people do wonders with the MKII nowadays but hey, my father already has one and if i need it i can always borrow it and I guess in this case its better to get an HVR camcorder.

What drew my attention to the Sony Z7E is these sample videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joL1CFRboIk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BcvjOL ... mKWcoekeIA

Which looked good to me havin in mind the light and the fog and that the second one isn't really edited (at least it doesn't look so).

CrazyEight wrote:They have cheaper 1080p cameras. The 7D will give you just as good if not better looking images and it's half the price. Plus you can use 35mm lenses, which give you depth of field control. I have the T2i (The 7D's "little brother") and the images I get from it are fantastic. Plus the Canon DSLR's low light capabilities are MUCH better then the camera your looking at, so you will be able to get much clearer and less grainy shots at night. The season finale of "House" was shot with the Canon 5D MK II and 7D, just an example to check out.
The 7D is a great camera. Personally, I don't like shooting on DSLRs for video, though. Your image is heavily compressed, being encoded to H264 on capture, which means its workability in post is not very strong (specifically with color grading and artifacting). Though to be fair, the image quality on any of the HDV cameras that shoot "1080P" is heavily compressed. They, and the 7D and 5D, all shoot in a 4-1-1 color space.

The bigger problem I have with DSLRs for "film shoots" is the actual workability of the camera though. 35mm still lenses are great, but they're not designed for high end video use. They have a tendency to "breath," which means when you try to pull focus, they have maneuverability. They aren't designed for precision focus pulling during takes, at extremely shallow depths of field where you only have a couple inches to work with.

Not to mention, you can't run any sort of video tap out of the 5D or 7D without the onboard monitor on the camera turning off.

Kyle Higgins wrote:
The 7D is a great camera. Personally, I don't like shooting on DSLRs for video, though. Your image is heavily compressed, being encoded to H264 on capture, which means its workability in post is not very strong (specifically with color grading and artifacting). Though to be fair, the image quality on any of the HDV cameras that shoot "1080P" is heavily compressed. They, and the 7D and 5D, all shoot in a 4-1-1 color space.

The bigger problem I have with DSLRs for "film shoots" is the actual workability of the camera though. 35mm still lenses are great, but they're not designed for high end video use. They have a tendency to "breath," which means when you try to pull focus, they have maneuverability. They aren't designed for precision focus pulling during takes, at extremely shallow depths of field where you only have a couple inches to work with.

Not to mention, you can't run any sort of video tap out of the 5D or 7D without the onboard monitor on the camera turning off.
Yeah, your right. DSLR's can't compete with cameras like Red, F35, Genesis and 35mm cameras. Not even close. But on a budget, they are great. My T2i only cost $900 and captures pretty beautiful images, the Red One and 35mm film is a little out of my price range. :)

I absolutely love to color grade, and I have done many different tests with my T2i to see how far I could push it (without noise becoming apparent) and I was pleasantly surprised. If I went to far with contrast and white levels, I would start to notice a little grain, but not much. For right now, it works fine.

I would love to work with 35mm one day however, that would be amazing.