The Filmmaking Process

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

Hey all. Sorry for another god-damn advice thread in here but whatever.

So, recently, I've been starting my own long-term short film. What I mean is that I want to spend a lot of time working on one project. I've already started some of it. I've written my first draft of my screenplay, and I've just started doing a little story-boarding. This "project" is nothing action-y or over-the-top. It's just about three brothers playing a game, and how they cheat and do whatever to try and win. Nothing fancy, right?

But what I want to use this thread to ask question if I need advise or tips. It's not only for me, anyone could use it, really. I hope that's O.K. :P

QUESTION ONE: Is storyboarding really necessary for a noob like me? Because I want this to be planned out literaly shot-by-shot, but I don't want to get in over my head, if you know what I mean.

(and as some of you may have noticed I've tried to do long-term short films before- but those didn't work out due to a lack of cooperation from my friends. I'm working with cousins now, they shall obey me :judge: :lol: )

Sigs???

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:Hey all. Sorry for another god-damn advice thread in here but whatever.

So, recently, I've been starting my own long-term short film. What I mean is that I want to spend a lot of time working on one project. I've already started some of it. I've written my first draft of my screenplay, and I've just started doing a little story-boarding. This "project" is nothing action-y or over-the-top. It's just about three brothers playing a game, and how they cheat and do whatever to try and win. Nothing fancy, right?

But what I want to use this thread to ask question if I need advise or tips. It's not only for me, anyone could use it, really. I hope that's O.K. :P

QUESTION ONE: Is storyboarding really necessary for a noob like me? Because I want this to be planned out literaly shot-by-shot, but I don't want to get in over my head, if you know what I mean.

(and as some of you may have noticed I've tried to do long-term short films before- but those didn't work out due to a lack of cooperation from my friends. I'm working with cousins now, they shall obey me :judge: :lol: )

Man, I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, and I want to help you as a filmmaker > but at the beginning you say God-d*?n and it makes you sound immature. Have reverence for others. You wouldn't say "Allah-damn'' or "Buddha-damn''...so why would you use God's name? Think about it.

Yes storyboarding is extremely helpful. While not necessary, the better prepared you are the easier the production flow will be.

Jesusfreak wrote:
TehBatGetsBraked wrote:Hey all. Sorry for another god-damn advice thread in here but whatever.

Man, I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, and I want to help you as a filmmaker > but at the beginning you say God-d*?n and it makes you sound immature. Have reverence for others. You wouldn't say "Allah-damn'' or "Buddha-damn''...so why would you use God's name? Think about it.

Yes storyboarding is extremely helpful. While not necessary, the better prepared you are the easier the production flow will be.
Whether you need to story board depends on your process. Play around and find it. I don't, since I usually plan key stuff in my head and then work spontaneously from there. Nolan doesn't storyboard, aside from action. Scott storyboard's everything, though.

And, you're coming off as a jerk. Back off. It's a common expression. That's the second time you've tried lecturing this kid about his language. It's none of your business. If cussing bothers you that much, you should probably stay out of both the art business and just for safe measure, might wanna lock yourself in a log cabin in the woods for the rest of your life. Watching an R movie with you must be tough.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Jesusfreak wrote: Man, I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, and I want to help you as a filmmaker > but at the beginning you say God-d*?n and it makes you sound immature. Have reverence for others. You wouldn't say "Allah-damn'' or "Buddha-damn''...so why would you use God's name? Think about it.

Whether you need to story board depends on your process. Play around and find it. I don't, since I usually plan key stuff in my head and then work spontaneously from there. Nolan doesn't storyboard, aside from action. Scott storyboard's everything, though.

And, you're coming off as a jerk. Back off. It's a common expression. That's the second time you've tried lecturing this kid about his language. It's none of your business. If cussing bothers you that much, you should probably stay out of both the art business and just for safe measure, might wanna lock yourself in a log cabin in the woods for the rest of your life. Watching an R movie with you must be tough.
Locked in a Cabin in the Woods? As long as Chris Hemsworth/Thor is there....I should be fine.

First, as I stated..I don't mean to come off as a jerk. If I didn't care enough about TehBatGetsBraked I wouldn't have taken the time to post what I did. Did I say that cussing bothered me? I focused on using God's name in vain-which yes, offended me and can offend others. Like me put it into perspective, if TheBatGetsBraked makes a film that he tries reaching an audience, but it ends up offending people (not everyone)..he's going to push away potential fans. Not saying you're going to win everyone, but I don't think you want to lose potential viewers who would be on your side if not offensive. Don't judge man, I'm not patronizing him. And yes, I'm allowed to express my opinion.

ULTIMATELY I'M GETTING AT THIS- As a filmmaker or scriptwriter you need to keep in mind whether or not your content choice will offend and push away people. Be conscious of that. I think that's advice that's not harmful at all. :goNF:

Thanks of your advice guys! Very helpful.

And remember, I made this thread or everyone to use.
Sigs???

My advice man is to just do what your most comfortable doing. Alot of the filmmaking process involves personal preference. As stated above Nolan doesn't storyboard much, but others like Scott storyboard the whole goddamn film. Do what you think will bring out your best work.

I've just barely started a project as well and I don't think i'm going to storyboard any of it because for me personally I feel like i'm wasting my time because the whole thing is already in my head and I have every shot and detail locked away up there.

I hope you make a goddamn good film!

fenwayconnor wrote:My advice man is to just do what your most comfortable doing. Alot of the filmmaking process involves personal preference. As stated above Nolan doesn't storyboard much, but others like Scott storyboard the whole goddamn film. Do what you think will bring out your best work.

I've just barely started a project as well and I don't think i'm going to storyboard any of it because for me personally I feel like i'm wasting my time because the whole thing is already in my head and I have every shot and detail locked away up there.
Well I'm being extra super carful. Cause last year I tired to make a short film with my cousins, wrote a script..and that was it. I realized how unprepared I really was and it came out disappointing.
Sigs???

No matter how good your screenplay is, it honestly depends on the storyboard-ing. It gets an idea into everyones mind what your vision of the film is, and therefore, the actors etc will have different opinions in how the story should be shown on-screen.

Locked in a Cabin in the Woods? As long as Chris Hemsworth/Thor is there....I should be fine.

First, as I stated..I don't mean to come off as a jerk. If I didn't care enough about TehBatGetsBraked I wouldn't have taken the time to post what I did. Did I say that cussing bothered me? I focused on using God's name in vain-which yes, offended me and can offend others. Like me put it into perspective, if TheBatGetsBraked makes a film that he tries reaching an audience, but it ends up offending people (not everyone)..he's going to push away potential fans. Not saying you're going to win everyone, but I don't think you want to lose potential viewers who would be on your side if not offensive. Don't judge man, I'm not patronizing him. And yes, I'm allowed to express my opinion.

ULTIMATELY I'M GETTING AT THIS- As a filmmaker or scriptwriter you need to keep in mind whether or not your content choice will offend and push away people. Be conscious of that. I think that's advice that's not harmful at all. :goNF:
Yes, you've said that cussing bothers you in the past.
Don't use the F-word. It makes you should immature.

Read more: http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... z20KWPmkwH
Anyway, your point is still irrelevant. By your logic than R films, specifically R comedies, shouldn't exist at the risk of "offending" people with their language. That's just dumb. Being raised in a Christian family and attending Catholic school's my entire life, I can honestly say I've only met a handful of people who would be offended by "God-damn" or any similar expression. All of which having those uppity purist attitudes, of which, most people really couldn't careless if they get offended.

By your logic, Tarantino shouldn't have been successful. Neither should have practically every successful comedian in the last 50 years...