The Filmmaking Process

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

FreakLikeMe wrote:God I hate making short films with friends because they all say it's "our" movie which is isn't. It's MY movie. They end up ruining it. It's like studio interference, you know?
I don't know what to do. I'm looking forward to make a short. I have never made one before, but I used to direct, write and act in my own plays. But my friends always claim that they did a wonderful play, bla bla. I hate that. And yes, they always ruin it.

Edit: Oh, and I used to make the background music too.

If you think making films with your friends sucks, here are two suggestions:

1. Network, network, network!
Right now, I am making short films with friends. However, we weren't really friends before our first short film. We share the same idea's, because we worked together. I think it was in 2009 that I wanted to make a short film and asked a couple friends to help me. That never came off the ground. In early 2010, I met our fellow member PaulKanter, who happens to live like 20 minutes away from here. Together, we started working on that short film. We have been collaborating a lot ever since and through this way, I met a lot of other people who are now in my team, making my very first (real) short film as writer, producer and director!
Get to know people like you, that want to make films, seriously.

2. Aks your friends nicely.
Tell them that you have this idea that you're really fond of and that this time, you want to do it your way, but you need them. However, tell them that if they have idea's and suggestions to improve it, they are allowed to speak, but you'll have control over the disicions. Everytime your friends come with a suggestion, YOU LISTEN! If it's a bad idea, you reject it. If it's actually good, use it!
Before you ask your friends in this way, you should already have a clear vision of what you want. Make sure a script is ready and have some clear shots in mind that you can discribe to convince your friends that your way is the best way to go.
And last: don't be affraid to so 'no' or 'that acting was bad', but do not become a dictator behind the camera. They're still your friends!
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Yeah, Pretty much what Erik said.

And Remember.... Youre a "Director not a Dictator !"

In the first place, Storyborad-ing is just for initiative thinking push. It's just to visualize your ideas into something visual across your eyes, basically, most of ideas (as we thought of) are not like how we can visualize/directing it. That's how directors are variant. Many directors and one script = Many different movies.
I see storyboard-ing is much much important (especially for photographing/visualizing addicted filmmakers like me .. ). but, after all .. It's just there for help. a very talented help. So, I recommend you with storyboard-ing. Have a good luck.

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:Hey all. Sorry for another god-damn advice thread in here but whatever.

So, recently, I've been starting my own long-term short film. What I mean is that I want to spend a lot of time working on one project. I've already started some of it. I've written my first draft of my screenplay, and I've just started doing a little story-boarding. This "project" is nothing action-y or over-the-top. It's just about three brothers playing a game, and how they cheat and do whatever to try and win. Nothing fancy, right?

But what I want to use this thread to ask question if I need advise or tips. It's not only for me, anyone could use it, really. I hope that's O.K. :P

QUESTION ONE: Is storyboarding really necessary for a noob like me? Because I want this to be planned out literaly shot-by-shot, but I don't want to get in over my head, if you know what I mean.

(and as some of you may have noticed I've tried to do long-term short films before- but those didn't work out due to a lack of cooperation from my friends. I'm working with cousins now, they shall obey me :judge: :lol: )

You don't HAVE to storyboard but it can help depending on the scene or sequence. I just map it out in my head then shoot it AND that can be FUN becuz you might tend to get new ideas and make some shots up as you go.

You don't want to over-plan cuz there are so many chances for new ideas that come in the moment while yer inspired and shooting a scene.

Let your story service your shots and their composition. Go with what feels right for what your trying to do. ;)