Stitches - Dir. Mike Eisenberg, Comp. Teddy Blass

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

thrice wrote:very impressive. I like your framing and the editing flows well. Thank god you didn't fall into the indie trap and did everything handheld. It looks better and more professional than many major movies nowadays
Aesthetically I'm missing a bit of grain but that's not too important. I like the slow backwards-moving shot in the class during the presentation
Thanks Thrice, it's something I've learned by simply being a movie fan. I learned a bit in film school, but I think just loving movies is a better way to learn what kind of filmmaker you want to be. And obviously since I'm here, Chris Nolan has been a big influence on me, particularly in the way we move the camera around. There are certain moments that scream Nolan as well, like the push-in on the car. Generally, I think the camera should accent the objective of the story and this one is a more deliberate and paced story that people should be allowed to engage with emotionally instead of look around for what is going on.

That was absolutely beautiful. Great Job. :clap: :twothumbsup:

I want to make something as good as this. Any tips on how to achieve this quality?

Wow, that was really impressive, it was very touching and beautiful!!
And the score was just amazing!!
Really fantastic job guys :clap:

xWhereAmI? wrote:That was absolutely beautiful. Great Job. :clap: :twothumbsup:

I want to make something as good as this. Any tips on how to achieve this quality?
Hire Teddy Blass as your composer.

Mr. Caine wrote:
xWhereAmI? wrote:That was absolutely beautiful. Great Job. :clap: :twothumbsup:

Hire Teddy Blass as your composer.
That's step 1 for sure, haha.

Mr. Caine, I think the most important thing is to find the right actors. Indie short films usually suck because they either hire bad actors or the director can't see a bad performance when he's getting it. Or they are just too focused on other things. You have to be able to see it all at once. Commit to a visual idea early on, get it in your DP's head and collaborate with him so that he can take it from there. Then you can focus on finding the right actors for your style and this story and give yourself time to work with them and have chats with them about the characters even if there is nothing to talk about. The best movies come from a place where it seems real because everybody involved understands what the goal is.

Most importantly, watch movies. Love movies and understand what makes a good one good and a bad one bad. And learn from them. Nolan is a great example of great filmmaking because he not only casts good people and hires a good crew, but he understands what the audience wants and needs in order to be fulfilled. And that's the hardest part, but also the most fun as a filmmaker. Hope that helps!

This was really good! Well done Mike, well done Teddy! Especially that final scene with the slow-motion combined with the score. Fantastic collaboration!
The only thing I missed was the strungle:
The boy has trouble letting his grandfather go. The first time we really notice it, is when he does not want to enter the church. Before that, he's just sad about it. However, the movie only focusses on this strugle for about a minute and then comes the revelation. Story-wise, that felt too short.
But other then that, great performances and cinematography. Well directed and edited!

I am currently starting up pre-production of my first real short film, and I got some questions about how you handled your production, especially budget. What was the budget, and what did you actually buy/hire for that? How did you achieve to get your locations? Cast, crew? All that sorts of stuff!

Thanks! :)
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Pretty damn good. I from the "tie" scene on I had the chills, and you got me to tear up during the flashback.

Good job. Most short films I watch and think "Yeah, that was pretty cool." Yours got an emotional reaction.

that's pretty good. really like how you hooked the writing dramatically

if you're ever shooting anything in NY i'd be down to help out

mchekhov wrote:that's pretty good. really like how you hooked the writing dramatically

if you're ever shooting anything in NY i'd be down to help out
how cute :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd really love to watch it, but it's password protected. :?