James Newton Howard Interview

David Julyan, Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, and Ludwig Göransson
Here's a pretty interesting interview with JNH. He also talks a bit why he DECIDED not to return to work on The Dark Knight Rises. Enjoy.

Nice one. Thanks. And I must say I enjoyed to hear his reason for not working on TDKR :)
Nolan and Zimmer is becoming a synced couple like Spielberg and Williams I'm sure

The story is a little sad, imo. From James' perspective it's like when you and your best buddy have a crush on the same girl, but she ends up liking your friend instead, and you're just like

He sounded honest and realistic on the subject and not bitter at all imo..

TeddyBlass wrote:The story is a little sad, imo. From James' perspective it's like when you and your best buddy have a crush on the same girl, but she ends up liking your friend instead, and you're just like

Kind of how I felt.

But from the interview it doesn't sound like anything went bad or anything; JNH made the decision himself. And I understand wanting to "end" on a good note with TDK ending. Actually I would consider it an epic ending note.

I agree. I think it the whole situation ended very amicably. James' work on the penultimate cue in TDK is fantastic, and has obviously been a track many directors have adored and used as temp track in their own films.

JNH knows his contributions to the series are invaluable, but that parting ways will help both him and Hans grow.

Here's to hoping and believing that Hans will do a fantastic job on his own, and that James will have some excellent work of his own to share this year as well.

Hoping and believing is like having no proof to relate to. Zimmer and Howard are old in the game now and are masters at what they do. There is nothing to worry about imo.

Well considering what I tought what were the two most emotional, and effective score cues in RANGO were temp track and not original score, I wouldn't exactly rule out Zimmer using some of James' themes without developing properly.

And James, though obviously talented, has a knack of picking not so good movies to score.

So it takes a little faith expect the best outcome - at least for me.

TeddyBlass wrote:Here's to hoping and believing that Hans will do a fantastic job on his own, and that James will have some excellent work of his own to share this year as well.
Well said

Hi,
He's one of the great ones, make no mistakes about it. I thought that a little homage to Elmer's memory worthed it, and that all of you can wait for these exclusive commentaries from a Major League composer like James Newton Howard.
Thanks.