TDKR without Newton Howard - Better, worse, different?

David Julyan, Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, and Ludwig Göransson
Cilogy wrote:It's definitely different. Zimmer had some memorable moments in Inception's score, but it ended up sort of repetitive and it lacked enough the variety the film required.
Zimmer isn't a favourite of mine but I really did like how some of the Inception score that was used. The best thing about it is how it had this modern spy-sound to it. You have the typically bombastic stuff and the emotional stuff but I felt the cinematography matched the music. The greatest decisions Zimmer made on the score involved how he used guitars.
Do you... like pineapple?

jcvargas09 wrote:I think if JNH had been on board TDKR Zimmer would have put his focus on Bane and Catwoman, and JNH would have had sole obligation of developing even further Bruce's motifs, namely what I call the "Wayne" theme. It could have really added extra fresh character to the film and made it feel more natural in its direction and tone. There are so many places you can go with these themes.
Yeah, I think these kinds of themes are what's missing from TDKR score as a soundtrack - those kinds of soft, ebbing and flowing themes. But then, the story didn't really call for them the way it did in BB and TDK, where you had Rachel as a love interest. The romance with Catwoman in TDKR really only blossomed at the very end, so I guess I can't really blame Zimmer that way. I think the score really works, but JNH's contributions to the first two films left me wanting more music in that vein for the third film.

I think the additional score in Rises is more impressive than TDK but both are obviously no where near Begins. But then again they weren't supposed to. A great deal of work had been done with Begins, there was no need for equally as much new score. Only change of tone and some work for new added aspects (characters or atmosphere) that weren't there before in Begins.

I like TDKR the most out of the three soundtracks. Just because it is the easiest to listen and has the things i like from BB & TDK soundtrack put together and something new added from Hans that i love.

1. TDKR (As explained from above.)
2.BB (Harder to listen, but most of the track grows on me now. The only one i really loved is Molossus.)
3.TDK ( Just gets boring to me now. Not as great as the others. I still like it though.)

I really enjoy the TDKR score. But I think it only could have benefitted from JNH's involvement. Perhaps just different but most likely better, it certainly wouldn't have been worse.

I find that the score for TDKR manages to tell the story just as well as the film does. In a way, I feel that it is Zimmer's magnum opus. At the same time however, I think it's hard to say whether it being a solo job made it better or worse.
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

darthnazgul wrote:I find that the score for TDKR manages to tell the story just as well as the film does. In a way, I feel that it is Zimmer's magnum opus. At the same time however, I think it's hard to say whether it being a solo job made it better or worse.
I don't think it qualifies for that sort of status based on the sheer amount of reused material, not counting the fact of how much of it isn't completely his.

TeddyBlass wrote:
darthnazgul wrote:I find that the score for TDKR manages to tell the story just as well as the film does. In a way, I feel that it is Zimmer's magnum opus. At the same time however, I think it's hard to say whether it being a solo job made it better or worse.
I don't think it qualifies for that sort of status based on the sheer amount of reused material, not counting the fact of how much of it isn't completely his.
As I said, in a way.
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

I personally think The Dark Knight Rises soundtrack was the best out of the trilogy. Also Inception soundtrack was great.

TDK and BB both had mood-pieces of soundtracks. As in, to get to the juicy sweet themes, you had to listen to about 5,6 minutes of ambience.
TDKR had themes ready and done. I reckon it was a bit more streamlined, without losing the dark electronica the originals had.