Hans Zimmer's MAN OF STEEL Soundtrack

David Julyan, Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, and Ludwig Göransson
With the film less than a year away and the knowledge of Hans Zimmer molding the score, what are your thoughts on the sound(s) he'll be creating for the world of Superman? We know it will be significantly different than his work on The Dark Knight trilogy as he already stated is why he ended up taking the challenge.

Other than the awesome music he writes for film, the other thing I love about Zimmer is his sincerity in interviews:
"I phoned Zack and said I am really, really sorry about these rumours – it wasn’t me, it’s just a misunderstanding. You’ve got your composer and I never tried to get in between relationships or anything like that. We started talking and he told me about his ideas for the character and his take was really interesting. I started getting a couple of ideas as a result. I said to Zack – and Warners and Chris [Nolan] and everyone involved – “don’t talk to me about it until we finish [The Dark Knight Rises]” …. and, within 15 minutes of finishing it, we were talking about it."

"I don’t feel confident at all. I never feel confident. But, a little bit of fear has gone a long way to being inspiring in the past. John Williams is the master and I am not even going to try and go in that direction. I’ll try my best not to embarrass myself and my colleagues on the film. I’m definitely going to have a go! In a funny way, it’s exactly because Superman is such an opposite character to Batman that I am welcoming the opportunity to do the music."

Has he seen footage from the film? “Yes. All you’re going to get out of me is a “yes”! No elaborations! I’ve started it and am in the ideas phase. I am driving people crazy with my experiments and am trying to write a tune.” The one thing Zimmer will say is that his signature use of percussion – which he jokingly refers to as “his endless quest for the perfect drum-hit” will not be as prevalent in MAN OF STEEL as on his Batman scores. “I am going to try and avoid it. It’s a big conversation I am having with myself right now: how can we avoid that…!!“
With Zimmer saying he's already well into the ideas phase of Man of Steel I couldn't help but wonder if there will be a strong choral element to Man of Steel. The teaser released with TDKR features choral music from LOTR and the recently released piece of music by Zimmer in honor of the Aurora victims also features a full choir.

I could really picture this type of sound associated with Krypton especially.

Thoughts?

http://www.dannygraydon.com/2012/07/exc ... n-score-2/

jcvargas09 wrote:With Zimmer saying he's already well into the ideas phase of Man of Steel I couldn't help but wonder if there will be a strong choral element to Man of Steel. The teaser released with TDKR features choral music from LOTR and the recently released piece of music by Zimmer in honor of the Aurora victims also features a full choir.
Interesting speculation. For me, an emphasis on stringed instruments would be cool. Something TDK-ish.

Hans has got quite the tough act to follow with this one, not sure what to expect.
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

When Hans Zimmer goes off into his own world, he's usually brilliant, but when he is limited by ideas set in stone, he is a bit held back (POTC3, arguably TDK, but even in those he was terrific)
I would love to hear his ideas on this. His action music is brilliant as well. I love his stuff (POTC2 being the best, closely followed by Sherlock Holmes and Inception)

Layoff the drums and focus on brass.

TeddyBlass wrote:Layoff the drums and focus on brass.
Yep.

Oh, and strings.
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...

TeddyBlass wrote:Layoff the drums and focus on brass.
Aye
Sigs???

Do something similar to the Comic-Con music (Thin Red Line, I believe)! That fits Supes so well.

I wouldn't mind if he used some electronics, however many would find that controversial so perhaps he shouldn't... :think:

jcvargas09 wrote:With the film less than a year away and the knowledge of Hans Zimmer molding the score, what are your thoughts on the sound(s) he'll be creating for the world of Superman? We know it will be significantly different than his work on The Dark Knight trilogy as he already stated is why he ended up taking the challenge.

Other than the awesome music he writes for film, the other thing I love about Zimmer is his sincerity in interviews:
"I phoned Zack and said I am really, really sorry about these rumours – it wasn’t me, it’s just a misunderstanding. You’ve got your composer and I never tried to get in between relationships or anything like that. We started talking and he told me about his ideas for the character and his take was really interesting. I started getting a couple of ideas as a result. I said to Zack – and Warners and Chris [Nolan] and everyone involved – “don’t talk to me about it until we finish [The Dark Knight Rises]” …. and, within 15 minutes of finishing it, we were talking about it."

"I don’t feel confident at all. I never feel confident. But, a little bit of fear has gone a long way to being inspiring in the past. John Williams is the master and I am not even going to try and go in that direction. I’ll try my best not to embarrass myself and my colleagues on the film. I’m definitely going to have a go! In a funny way, it’s exactly because Superman is such an opposite character to Batman that I am welcoming the opportunity to do the music."

Has he seen footage from the film? “Yes. All you’re going to get out of me is a “yes”! No elaborations! I’ve started it and am in the ideas phase. I am driving people crazy with my experiments and am trying to write a tune.” The one thing Zimmer will say is that his signature use of percussion – which he jokingly refers to as “his endless quest for the perfect drum-hit” will not be as prevalent in MAN OF STEEL as on his Batman scores. “I am going to try and avoid it. It’s a big conversation I am having with myself right now: how can we avoid that…!!“
With Zimmer saying he's already well into the ideas phase of Man of Steel I couldn't help but wonder if there will be a strong choral element to Man of Steel. The teaser released with TDKR features choral music from LOTR and the recently released piece of music by Zimmer in honor of the Aurora victims also features a full choir.

I could really picture this type of sound associated with Krypton especially.

Thoughts?

http://www.dannygraydon.com/2012/07/exc ... n-score-2/
Seeing the choices so far for the trailers ("Journey to the Line" & the ending of "Bridge of Khazad Dum") - I'm positive the soundtrack will be amazing. He reinvented the Batman theme, the Superman theme is merely the next step...