Hans Zimmer's MAN OF STEEL Soundtrack

David Julyan, Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, and Ludwig Göransson
Robin wrote: You could have contributed by giving me some reasoning to why I'm missing the mark. I'm not an expert, I'll gladly take it. Or if you felt my opinions were soo useless, you just could have left them there and moved on with your life. Nope, you choose being a troll instead.
Arcade and What Are You Going To Do When You're Not Saving The World? are good tracks, I'll admit it. Even then, What Are You Going To Do When You're Not Saving The World? isn't the greatest theme song in the world. Hell it doesn't even come close to other great theme songs, and I know Zimmer can make good theme songs (Batman, Pirates). Anyone that thinks this will get an Oscar nomination has much more to learn not only about the Academy, but also about film scores. First and foremost, Man of Steel had a very generic score. There was nothing that stood out. Nothing that was extraordinary. Tracks came close (Arcade), but far from being accomplishing. Secondly, the score is nothing but a bunch of loud mumbo jumbo ADHD craze fest. Aside from the really easy, simplistic piano melody, you don't get many different emotions other than action. Finally, it's Hans Zimmer. His earlier work has always been better than his contemporary music (minus TDK trilogy, (which btw he got help on by James Newton Howard for creating the themes for the first two) Inception, Frost/Nixon, and Angels and Demons).

My expertise ranges in the fact that film scores are the only music I listen to on a regular basis, I was raised on film scores since the age of four, and I do in fact compose film score theme music as a hobby. I have studied film music theory since I was nine and am generally lauded by my community as an expert on film scores as a genre of music and art form beyond just film.

Did I adequately answer your condescending question?

"nyone that thinks this will get an Oscar nomination has much more to learn not only about the Academy, but also about film scores. " Never once wrote MoS would receive academy recognition (or deserves it for that matter) and what the academy decides to acknowledge baffles not only the musicians (James Horner, James Newton Howard and others have explicitly said so) but the critics and expertise are often left in dark as well. I'm sure our own musician Teddy Blass will co-sign that one. Being nominated for an award doesn't make you better or more valuable than other work. If you thought so, then maybe you should learn more about the Academy...

"There was nothing that stood out. Nothing that was extraordinary. Tracks came close (Arcade), but far from being accomplishing." that's an opinion (congratulations), but why is it uninteresting? I'm sure many feel that way, but I didn't since I'm a big fan of juxtaposing relentless drums and a ethereal electronic wall of music. I felt the music was rich on patos without forcing me to feel - something I always appreciate (the track earth was particularly used well towards the end).

I do however agree that the score isn't the most refreshing Zimmer (as I wrote), but calling the score a "bunch of loud mumbo jumbo ADHD craze fest" with tracks like "Look to the Stars", "Sent Here for a Reason", "Goodbye My Son", "Krypton's Last", "This Is Clark Kent", and "Earth" all being quiet ethereal tracks makes me question if you're the best "expert on film scores as a genre of music". Talk about missing the mark.

but thanks anyway :thumbup:

I thought the score was amazing for the film.

The soundtrack was what saved the film from being Meh of Steel for me.

Val wrote:Hi, i'm looking for the only track which is not contain in the tracklist of the soundtrack. This particular track is played twice in the movie and at the end of the featurette.
When superman saves lois from the fallen ship..
I can't find this track anywhere :wtf: !

Thanks
I couldn't find it on the soundtrack either, but I loved it so much I decided to produce a version myself:
http://youtu.be/0wAAnQqRq6A

Gladius wrote:
Val wrote:Hi, i'm looking for the only track which is not contain in the tracklist of the soundtrack. This particular track is played twice in the movie and at the end of the featurette.
When superman saves lois from the fallen ship..
I can't find this track anywhere :wtf: !

Thanks
I couldn't find it on the soundtrack either, but I loved it so much I decided to produce a version myself:
http://youtu.be/0wAAnQqRq6A
Thank you so much for putting this up! Amazing track! Why wasn't this on the soundtrack? >.>

I really like Zimmer's soundtrack for MOS! Although, I think the soundtrack of Batman Begins, combined with the beautiful cinematography and the story of course, crafted a better unique vibe. To explain myself better, the shots of the icy mountains when Bruce travels to the LOS and when he stands on a building watching over the city as Batman with that beautiful music. I really loved those moments. I felt that MOS missed such moments, Zimmer's music should've been able to provide that on certain moments. I mean, it got close with the start of the film and used that same bit in else places but it never lived up to it. But that's pretty much the only thing I have to complain about the soundtrack ;)

I hope Zimmer will return for Superman/Batman, should be a challenge. Continuing on MOS' soundtrack but also to create a new track for Batman. Not to forget to craft pieces for the villains. Of at least one I hope is Lex.

The complete score is out there if anyone wants to hear all the good stuff they left off the album.