Variety Article "Memo To: Christopher Nolan"

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Good Im not the only one who compares Chris Nolan with Stanley Kubrick, my two favourites filmmakers ever
:D
Im happy because I see in Nolan the future of really good filmmaking, especially in an era where I thought good filmmaking had gone to hell.
I reckon he represents the beginning of a new era where story and illusion goes beyond the misguided need of people to be easily entertained.
All this 70's directors that Bart mentioned should be proud of the fact that a man like Christopher Nolan has the power to do the films he wants to do.
:thumbup:
Last edited by OVERMAN on April 11th, 2010, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeah I think the secrecy thing is being blown out of proportion too

it seems like studios pay media to promote whatever aspect they think may catch readers attentions and the results are always inevitably cheesy and overdone.

Nolan is at the moment the best filmmaker he's beter than Steven Spielberg in my opnion :clap:
Nolan makes whatever he wants :thumbup:

BatMotor wrote:Nolan is at the moment the best filmmaker he's beter than Steven Spielberg in my opnion :clap:
Nolan makes whatever he wants :thumbup:
Spielberg was a revolutionary but not the greatest. :|

#1fan wrote:Spielberg was a revolutionary but not the greatest. :|
I think at his peak he certainly was the greatest.

Greetings, all. I've been a longtime visitor to this site, but this is my first forum post.

Having read Peter Bart's "memo", I can't say that I was the least bit surprised by what he has to say. Bart is notorious for this kind of vapid "advice", even when it's obvious he has no clue what he's talking about. He doesn't mention that WB also happens to be the only big studio willing to make and properly promote edgy projects like this (Matrix and Soderbergh's upcoming Contagion also qualify) and to give its directors the freedom they need. There's a reason Eastwood and Scorsese work so often with WB: they give the director the space he/she needs.

As for the Cannes debut, I think it could work. It would definitely build interest and possibly awards potential. The past decade has seen examples of films that parlayed Cannes buzz into financial/awards success: The Pianist, Fahrenheit 911, No Country for Old Men, Inglourious Basterds. As for spoilers, I'm not that concerned. I don't know about other countries' media, but the two main US critics for Cannes (Variety and Hollywood Reporter) are actually pretty conscientious about spoilers. They may hint at certain things, but they almost never give away major plot points.

I also agree that the "secrecy" aspect has been overblown. While the project was kept under heavy wraps during filming (with the only known facts being the vague synopsis and some character names), the veil has been gradually lifted since the December trailer.

I should also note that "DiCaprio doing weird stuff" has actually been paying off. Shutter Island, easily one of Leo's edgiest roles, has done very well for itself, despite being banished to the wastelands of February.

apw
Welcome to the forum and great first post. :thumbup:

i think to date, dicaprio's best film is hi collaboration with spielberg....catch me if you can was just such a great balance of drama and fun....i think Inception will top it

It'd be cool if Dicaprio went outside of himself for his characters. I guess its something studios probably dont encourage him to do cause he's a star. But its my biggest criticism of him. He has a lot of defaults and personal cliches that he turns to for in his performances. I never forget that I'm watching Leo when i see him in movies, whereas with someone like Oldman, I don't even know who he is cause his characterizations are so far from each other

Corran Horn wrote:Having read Peter Bart's "memo", I can't say that I was the least bit surprised by what he has to say. Bart is notorious for this kind of vapid "advice", even when it's obvious he has no clue what he's talking about.
I don't know, I thought he was being tongue-in-cheek and satirical :eh: But I don't know anything about Peter Bart's writings.