Ellen Page was worthless in this...

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Im convinced this guy is Fernando :batface:
Sigs???

Oblong_Box wrote:
mchekhov wrote:the character was decent on the page. But Page just sucked at acting in this movie, which probably contributed to the impression that the character sucked
No, she wasn't.

As I have explained, Nolan wrote her as justification for the loads of exposition. She is just an artificial device, with no development, or character. She is basically the audience.

Cut her out entirely and you have a good enough film.
you're wrong. Here's why.

she serves as exposition in the form of a questioning student...UNTIL the climax, where she comes up with a brilliant solution and helps Dicaprio follow through and bring Fischer back from Limbo

this is actually a very subtle, but nice character arc...and in the hands of an experienced theatre actor, and some inventiveness could have been played up for a great performance...the contrast between her beginning and end constitutes as a character transformation. She's no longer asking questions, and trying to catch up...she comes up with the solution and takes action. This is a nice little character arc.

so yes...her acting, and lack of understanding of the character bled into your impression of the character, which was a pretty cleverly written one

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:Im convinced this guy is Fernando :batface:
That's my semi-hunch.

I am still confused why this user would join a Nolan Fans site to complain about Nolan, and his fans. :lol:

mchekhov wrote:she serves as exposition in the form of a questioning student...UNTIL the climax, where she comes up with a brilliant solution and helps Dicaprio follow through and bring Fischer back from Limbo
Okay...

So this should excuse her utter pointlessness and annoyingness throughout the rest of the film? Someone else could have easily come up with that solution.

She's still a lame, boring device.
this is actually a very subtle, but nice character arc...and in the hands of an experienced theatre actor, and some inventiveness could have been played up for a great performance...the contrast between her beginning and end constitutes as a character transformation. She's no longer asking questions, and trying to catch up...she comes up with the solution and takes action. This is a nice little character arc.

Oh, please...

She had no "character arc", she was a boring, undeveloped character(*cough* device *cough*). And just because she had one good solution at the right time does not imply some great "arc", but rather just a convenience to keep the plot moving. That's not a developing of character, but rather a sudden solution for the convoluted plot.

She is supposed to be smart after all, and built the fucking designs of the dream worlds. You'd think she'd be able to figure something out, jeez. The pathetic thing is, she has to ask numerous things twice, just so Nolan can drill it into the audience's mind.

Just look at this line she says... "The truth that at any minute, you might bring a freight train through the wall. The truth that Mal is bursting through your subconscious. And the truth that as we go deeper into Fischer, we're also going deeper into you. And... I'm not sure we're gonna like what we find."

Thanks for explaining that to us...Nolan, oh, sorry, I mean Ariadne.
Last edited by Oblong_Box on March 22nd, 2012, 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oblong_Box wrote:
mchekhov wrote:
Oh, please...

She had no "character arc", she was a boring, undeveloped character(*cough* device *cough*). And just because she had one good solution at the right time does not imply some great "arc", but rather just a convenience to keep the plot moving. That's not a developing of character, but rather a sudden solution for the convoluted plot.

She is supposed to be smart after all, and built the fucking designs of the dream worlds. You'd think she'd be able to figure something out, jeez. The pathetic thing is, she has to ask numerous things twice, just so Nolan can drill it into the audience's mind.

Just look at this line she says... "The truth that at any minute, you might bring a freight train through the wall. The truth that Mal is bursting through your subconscious. And the truth that as we go deeper into Fischer, we're also going deeper into you. And... I'm not sure we're gonna like what we find."

This movie is like 2 years old. We've heard this shit a million times. Why are you here?

steveportee wrote:Why are you here?

Oblong_Box wrote:
mchekhov wrote:she serves as exposition in the form of a questioning student...UNTIL the climax, where she comes up with a brilliant solution and helps Dicaprio follow through and bring Fischer back from Limbo
Okay...

So this should excuse her utter pointlessness and annoyingness throughout the rest of the film? Someone else could have easily come up with that solution.

Oh, please...

Oblong_Box wrote:
Okay...

Oh, please...

ragul712 wrote:I am still confused why this user would join a Nolan Fans site to complain about Nolan, and his fans. :lol:
I originally thought this site was called just 'Nolan', so anyone could come discuss anything about him.
Mr. Caine wrote:
Hilariously cute.
Do you... like pineapple?