Ellen Page was worthless in this...

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
It was Ellen Page playing a typical Ellen Page character. She did well at it.
BlairCo wrote:
Nippon wrote:I probably would have gotten someone more glamorous for eye candy. The thing is that Nolan didn't want a glamorous woman to distract from the storyline. Apparently, she was exactly who he wanted and she did a superb job acting. It's all about the story, not about fan service...
Was Marion Cotillard not good enough for you?
:clap:

Seriously, this is a discussion oblong. If you're going to post what you think and then belittle those who try to discuss with you, why even post in the first place? You are in no way open to what anyone else has to say. Every time someone responds with a contrarian view it's "Oh please" and the same diatribe with the exact same point. I have an idea: say something different. Obviously repeating yourself from the safety of your high horse isn't working out for you.

Also, as I am sure you have surmised, I disagree. I'm not saying I love her character, because I don't. She does whine and she does serve as a walking audience but that is the point and you are completely missing that with out it the story makes no sense. Cobb figuring those things out on his own defeats the point that cobb is constantly in a turmoil that his own mind by itself cannot escape. He has to have someone literally pull him out of it, much like Limbo. Also, for a movie that is a metaphor for filmmaking, having a character that represents the audience is not useless, its smart. It's relatable, and their is a difference between that and dumbing something down. A film as complex as this needs those question's to be ask and they need to be answered. I mean, Hell, there are people who saw the movie with her character there and STILL don't get it. There are people on here who debate points relative to things that she says. How can you say a character like that is useless?

I agree that her character is sometimes annoying and repetitive, but that what we are when we watch the movie.

Not the best in the movie? Maybe. Worthless? No, I don't think so. She actually has also the function to some an "audience surreogate".
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

Nolanoscopy wrote:Seriously, this is a discussion oblong. If you're going to post what you think and then belittle those who try to discuss with you, why even post in the first place? You are in no way open to what anyone else has to say. Every time someone responds with a contrarian view it's "Oh please" and the same diatribe with the exact same point. I have an idea: say something different. Obviously repeating yourself from the safety of your high horse isn't working out for you.

Also, as I am sure you have surmised, I disagree. I'm not saying I love her character, because I don't. She does whine and she does serve as a walking audience but that is the point and you are completely missing that with out it the story makes no sense. Cobb figuring those things out on his own defeats the point that cobb is constantly in a turmoil that his own mind by itself cannot escape. He has to have someone literally pull him out of it, much like Limbo. Also, for a movie that is a metaphor for filmmaking, having a character that represents the audience is not useless, its smart. It's relatable, and their is a difference between that and dumbing something down. A film as complex as this needs those question's to be ask and they need to be answered. I mean, Hell, there are people who saw the movie with her character there and STILL don't get it. There are people on here who debate points relative to things that she says. How can you say a character like that is useless?

I agree that her character is sometimes annoying and repetitive, but that what we are when we watch the movie.
I didn't think she was annoying at all, but I agree with everything said here.

All she did was walk around, complain, and ask "what the hell is going on!?"

She was basically used as an excuse for Nolan to just dumb everything down for the audience, and explain everything that's happening on screen. That's all she was. She wasn't a character of her own, but simply a device. A bland, artificial device.

Possibly one of the most annoying, and pointless characters in the history of film. What the hell was Nolan thinking?

I know she was the "Architect", but did we really need her to tag along like that, just there doing nothing but whine? Instead of her being the emotional anchor for Cobb, the story would have been just fine without her, and Cobb working it out on his own.

She is the worst thing about this film. All the major problems Inception has is rooted in her.

Read more: http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... z1xhZNRSEm
First off, hate the character not the actor. I hate her role in this movie as well, however just not for the same reasons. It honestly just bothers me how nosy her character is. For god's sake she just plugs herself in to Cobb's dream, talk about an invasion of privacy. On top of that, she goes down to the bottom floor and makes herself privy to his most private memory. I do see her purpose in the film though, and she is very important. Nolan's films are very intricate and complicated. She is needed in order to provide necessary explanations for the audience. Nolan's idea is very original and requires an explanation. I also understand the purpose of her nosiness, its a way for the audience to discover Cobb's secrets and past along with her. However, I'm not gonna lie, it bothers me everytime I watch the movie even though I think it's one of the greatest films ever made.

As much as I love Inception, the Ellen Page casting been bugging since day one of the movie release. I mean..everyone in the movie look so cool, stylish, and noir. While Page is that award girl from Juno

Evan Racheal Wood was Nolan's first choice for the role and I wish she didn't turn the movie down

It's sad I know right

Besides being the architect, she was also the only person with critical point of view on Cobb. Without her, Cobb wouldn't just accept his screw ups, because she was the one pointing fingers at him. She's the one who help Cobb to get over Mall's death. If that's not enough for you, her name is derived from Greek mythology. Ariadne was a princess that helped Theseus to get out of the labyrinth.

I don't mind the exposition, I think learning about the process is fun, the problem is Page's character has no personality and Page gives an unbelievably dull performance. Certainly one of the film's biggest flaws.