Wasn't that a kick?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
I love Inception. I've watched it several times, but everytime I see it, I always wonder about the scene of the avalanche when Saito and Fisher fall from the montain. A fall that high doesn't count as a kick? shoudn't they go back to the previous dream level? Am I the only one who notice that? Am I wrong? I'd like to hear opinions.

I love Inception, but...

I've come to the conclusion that the kicks in the movie make no sense. You just have to roll with it and enjoy the ride. The logic of what is and isn't a kick is pretty spotty.

steveportee wrote:I love Inception, but...

I've come to the conclusion that the kicks in the movie make no sense. You just have to roll with it and enjoy the ride. The logic of what is and isn't a kick is pretty spotty.
I guess you're right.

The kick from the avalanche would only work if it was in the layer above it. Its the "Sleeping you" that has to get kicked. The active you in the dream can do all sorts of crazy things.

But yeah, there are some stuff that doesn't really add up. For instance the gravity shift not being persistent throughout the layers and so forth, anyway.

Jonas Agersø wrote:The kick from the avalanche would only work if it was in the layer above it. Its the "Sleeping you" that has to get kicked. The active you in the dream can do all sorts of crazy things.

But yeah, there are some stuff that doesn't really add up. For instance the gravity shift not being persistent throughout the layers and so forth, anyway.
Thanks Jonas. Good point, but it also raises another question. I remember when they explained what a kick is, it became clear that you're supposed to be asleep to feel it. This would mean that they all should be sleeping in the snow fortress compound to feel the kick. But when it happens, Eames and Fisher are awake and still, they feel the kick and return to the elevator. I guess it's like steveportee wrote: You just have to roll with it and enjoy the ride.

dadosaboya wrote:
Jonas Agersø wrote:The kick from the avalanche would only work if it was in the layer above it. Its the "Sleeping you" that has to get kicked. The active you in the dream can do all sorts of crazy things.

Thanks Jonas. Good point, but it also raises another question. I remember when they explained what a kick is, it became clear that you're supposed to be asleep to feel it. This would mean that they all should be sleeping in the snow fortress compound to feel the kick. But when it happens, Eames and Fisher are awake and still, they feel the kick and return to the elevator. I guess it's like steveportee wrote: You just have to roll with it and enjoy the ride.
The kicks that occur in the final mission are pretty vague. I think the kick that wakes them up is supposedly coming from the dream level above them. Meaning that Eames and Fischer are being woken up by the elevator crashing. But, yeah, the logic is pretty sketchy.

My biggest complain against the movie.

steveportee wrote:
dadosaboya wrote:
The kicks that occur in the final mission are pretty vague. I think the kick that wakes them up is supposedly coming from the dream level above them. Meaning that Eames and Fischer are being woken up by the elevator crashing. But, yeah, the logic is pretty sketchy.

But shouldn't the kicks move the dreamers to the level above? The compound collapses (only Ariadne is sleeping) and they all wake up in the elevator. The elevator crashes (Arthur is awake) and they all wake up in the van. I guess we just have to give Nolan a break. After all, the movie is awesome!

dadosaboya wrote:
steveportee wrote: The kicks that occur in the final mission are pretty vague. I think the kick that wakes them up is supposedly coming from the dream level above them. Meaning that Eames and Fischer are being woken up by the elevator crashing. But, yeah, the logic is pretty sketchy.

But shouldn't the kicks move the dreamers to the level above? The compound collapses (only Ariadne is sleeping) and they all wake up in the elevator. The elevator crashes (Arthur is awake) and they all wake up in the van. I guess we just have to give Nolan a break. After all, the movie is awesome!
Visually, it looks like the kicks are moving the dreamers to the level above during the final sequence. Although throughout the movie up until that point, a kick is shown to be coming from the level above, and not from within the dream itself.

steveportee wrote:
dadosaboya wrote:
Visually, it looks like the kicks are moving the dreamers to the level above during the final sequence. Although throughout the movie up until that point, a kick is shown to be coming from the level above, and not from within the dream itself.
Your logic makes sense. They show the kicks working both ways. Cobb's kick in the tub wakes the Cobb in the castle, while Fisher's and Ariadne's kick in limbo wakes them both in the compound. OK, the logic is weird.

Cobb and Ariadne also improvised and gave Fischer a kick in Limbo, although he was dead in the level above. The defibrillator used by Eames seemed to have a Resurrection effect within Dreamshare, it certainly had some powerful property we were not introduced to. Cobb said it was over when Fischer was shot, but Ariadne the newbie proposed to just dream deeper and escape through improvisation.

So yea..some liberties did spring quick to mind nearing the end..or was it all a plan by Miles and Ariadne? 8-)