The Plot to Inception

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
CrazyEight wrote:Reader beware. The following is from a website called "In Contention", and is spoiler heavy. From what I've seen in the trailers and what I've heard about "Inception", this article seems legitimate. I have read it, and it just makes me more excited for the film. But if you want to wait till the third and final trailer to get the full run down of what "Inception" is about, you should not click on the link provided or unlock the spoiler tabs. If you are on the "Inception" IMDB, this was recently poster by someone their as well.

Link: http://incontention.com/?p=12388

Inception Plot
Please note, if you want to remain pure as to what this film has to offer, do not continue reading. I implore you. (There are spoilers.) But for those happy to be spoiled, well then I’m happy to divulge.

I have not read the script for “Inception,” so this information is all second hand from someone who has. If it seems vague in areas, it is because my source was recounting from memory. I can’t be 100% sure how much of this gels with the truth because WB publicity can’t comment on the film’s plot points. I’m not able to verify this with them. But it all seems fairly legitimate to me.

In a nutshell, the source says “Inception” takes place in a world where we have developed a means by which we can enter people’s dreams. Leonardo DiCaprio’s character Cobb has been described as a “CEO type,” but he is also something of a criminal. He dives into people’s dreams to extract information.

Ellen Page will play Ariadne, a young college student studying in Paris who is a part of Cobb’s team (along with Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s Arthur and Tom Hardy’s Eames). Cobb’s team actually “creates” the dreams and Ariadne is an “architect” of the them. She engineers them.

When Cobb’s team enters the dreams, it is not via a machine such as “The Matrix” or “The Cell,” I’m told. It is via injection, and the technology can easily be transported in a suitcase. In one scene (featured briefly in the trailer, I believe), the team actually enters a person’s dream while on an airplane.

Cillian Murphy stars as Fischer, a business-type who is soon to become the head of a company. Cobb’s team is attempting to insert an idea into Fischer’s mind to compel him to separate the company into two smaller companies. The reasoning for this is unclear on my end.

Ken Watanabe plays Saito, a character blackmailing Cobb. For what reason and to what extreme, I do not know. Aside from him, there is no classic villain in the story, but Cobb’s wife (Marion Cotillard) causes some trouble.

The two of them at some point find themselves stuck in many levels of a dream and Cobb’s wife tries to convince him to stay in that world, that it is much better than real life. However, Cobb wants to return to his children and the real world.

This plot point is a bit unclear (and is a massive SPOILER), but I’m told that the wife commits suicide in the dream in order to return to the real world. When Cobb himself returns, he is charged with his wife’s murder and has to flee with his children.

The film will not be typical sci-fi fare at all. It is set in the real world, present day. And virtually all of the “action” scenes take place in the dream environment. This should go a long way toward explaining the “Your mind is the scene of the crime” tagline that accompanied the trailer. Ultimately it seems like a grounded, more tangible blend of “Minority Report” and “The Matrix.”
Cool!

AlexHaas wrote:In February, when Christopher Nolan announced that he was going to make a movie and described it as "a contemporary sci-fi actioner set within the architecture of the mind," he sold me a $10 movie ticket. Actually, it's probably more like $15. IMAX.

8-)

I'm not reading the plot.
I'll pay more for a Nolan movie. He never dissapoint me.

MOVIELORD101 wrote:
CrazyEight wrote:Reader beware. The following is from a website called "In Contention", and is spoiler heavy. From what I've seen in the trailers and what I've heard about "Inception", this article seems legitimate. I have read it, and it just makes me more excited for the film. But if you want to wait till the third and final trailer to get the full run down of what "Inception" is about, you should not click on the link provided or unlock the spoiler tabs. If you are on the "Inception" IMDB, this was recently poster by someone their as well.

Link: http://incontention.com/?p=12388

Inception Plot
Please note, if you want to remain pure as to what this film has to offer, do not continue reading. I implore you. (There are spoilers.) But for those happy to be spoiled, well then I’m happy to divulge.

I have not read the script for “Inception,” so this information is all second hand from someone who has. If it seems vague in areas, it is because my source was recounting from memory. I can’t be 100% sure how much of this gels with the truth because WB publicity can’t comment on the film’s plot points. I’m not able to verify this with them. But it all seems fairly legitimate to me.

In a nutshell, the source says “Inception” takes place in a world where we have developed a means by which we can enter people’s dreams. Leonardo DiCaprio’s character Cobb has been described as a “CEO type,” but he is also something of a criminal. He dives into people’s dreams to extract information.

Ellen Page will play Ariadne, a young college student studying in Paris who is a part of Cobb’s team (along with Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s Arthur and Tom Hardy’s Eames). Cobb’s team actually “creates” the dreams and Ariadne is an “architect” of the them. She engineers them.

When Cobb’s team enters the dreams, it is not via a machine such as “The Matrix” or “The Cell,” I’m told. It is via injection, and the technology can easily be transported in a suitcase. In one scene (featured briefly in the trailer, I believe), the team actually enters a person’s dream while on an airplane.

Cillian Murphy stars as Fischer, a business-type who is soon to become the head of a company. Cobb’s team is attempting to insert an idea into Fischer’s mind to compel him to separate the company into two smaller companies. The reasoning for this is unclear on my end.

Ken Watanabe plays Saito, a character blackmailing Cobb. For what reason and to what extreme, I do not know. Aside from him, there is no classic villain in the story, but Cobb’s wife (Marion Cotillard) causes some trouble.

The two of them at some point find themselves stuck in many levels of a dream and Cobb’s wife tries to convince him to stay in that world, that it is much better than real life. However, Cobb wants to return to his children and the real world.

This plot point is a bit unclear (and is a massive SPOILER), but I’m told that the wife commits suicide in the dream in order to return to the real world. When Cobb himself returns, he is charged with his wife’s murder and has to flee with his children.

The film will not be typical sci-fi fare at all. It is set in the real world, present day. And virtually all of the “action” scenes take place in the dream environment. This should go a long way toward explaining the “Your mind is the scene of the crime” tagline that accompanied the trailer. Ultimately it seems like a grounded, more tangible blend of “Minority Report” and “The Matrix.”
Cool!
Super cool

Nice. But the thing I wanna know is why is Cobb(Leo) being blackmailed?

Did anyone already noticed that the name 'Cobb' is already been used in nolans first movie 'Following'

BatMotor wrote:Did anyone already noticed that the name 'Cobb' is already been used in nolans first movie 'Following'
Yeah, pretty much everybody who's seen Following knows. ut it's a common name. So I'm told

maybe someone already mentioned it, but i think water is one of the few things that can get you out of the mind of the other person.

Christopher Nolan wrote:maybe someone already mentioned it, but i think water is one of the few things that can get you out of the mind of the other person.
Yeah I did right about this in the "New Trailer Dissection" thread but it seems that it went unnoticed. There's an indication of this in the new trailer when the guy (or DiCaprio if it his him) falls into water in slow-motion. Observe him while he falls - he appears to be asleep in a chair as if unaware of his surroundings (because if he were, he'd have shown some sort of reaction on "falling" in the water). Then when he does fall into the water, he apparently "wakes up". Also, the way he's seated in the chair unconsciously is reminiscent of how, when people jack into the virtual world in "The Matrix", they remain seated in the real world.

Also hear the dialog before this sequence: "We gotta break out of here. Give him the kit". The "kit" is probably the mechanism used to "get out" of the dream-world. Or maybe I've gone too far into speculation.

Mr.D wrote:
Christopher Nolan wrote:maybe someone already mentioned it, but i think water is one of the few things that can get you out of the mind of the other person.
Yeah I did right about this in the "New Trailer Dissection" thread but it seems that it went unnoticed. There's an indication of this in the new trailer when the guy (or DiCaprio if it his him) falls into water in slow-motion. Observe him while he falls - he appears to be asleep in a chair as if unaware of his surroundings (because if he were, he'd have shown some sort of reaction on "falling" in the water). Then when he does fall into the water, he apparently "wakes up". Also, the way he's seated in the chair unconsciously is reminiscent of how, when people jack into the virtual world in "The Matrix", they remain seated in the real world.

Also hear the dialog before this sequence: "We gotta break out of here. Give him the kit". The "kit" is probably the mechanism used to "get out" of the dream-world. Or maybe I've gone too far into speculation.
i think you could be right. the scene in which gordon-levitt says, "We gotta break out of here. Give him the kit" and leo falls into the the bathtub full of water could be connected with the last scene of leo in the trailer, where it looks like that he is in an asian room and suddenly a lot of water surrounds him in the room. so, water could be a important way to get out of the mind.

The kick.