The Official Plot-Deciphering Thread!

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Decided to make this thread so that we can speculate on what the main plot of this film might entail. To start off, here's a list of what we know so far about this film (taken from the movie's page of our main site and the cast list on the Wikipedia page):

* "Inception" is described as "a contemporary sci-fi actioner set within the architecture of the mind." This description, along with what we've seen in the trailers thus far, supports the notion that this might be similar to the 2000 film "The Cell", staring Jenniffer Lopez, but hopefully better than what THAT film turned out to be.
* Leonardo DiCaprio plays the main protagonist, a "CEO-type" guy named Cobb, who is being blackmailed by Saito, the main villian played by Kent Watanabe. What we don't know: what is Cobb being blackmailed about and why does Saito want to exploit this? Hopefully this will be made somewhat clear as the viral and the advertising goes on, if not on the main film itself.
* Ellen "Juno/Kitty Pryde" Page plays Ariaden, a college grad student and Cobb's "sidekick". Figures... :lol:
* Michael Caine has a minor role an as-yet-to-be-named character that is a science professor.

Now, here's what we can understand from the trailers (the leaked French trailer/second trailer included):

* Apparently, the subject of dreams and ideas play a MAJOR role in this film.
* There seem to be two realms in this film: the real world and the "dream world". This probably play out in the film by constantly switching back and forth between these two realms, a la "The Matrix" or otherwise.
* Water seems to have some sort of importance or symbolism in this film. The first teaser poster has a flooded city in it, and there's scenes in the trailers of water in a glass tilting sideways like a tidal wave (same goes with the city street in the beginning of the trailer) and what looks like Cobb flailing about in a bathtub.
* The film's logo shows the city as one big maze, possibly more symbolism of some sort.

More will be added to this post as further investigation of the viral marketing and advertising continues.

Ok, here's my take...

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD***

Leo's character, Cobb is the head of a company that develops a technology that allows one to enter other people's dreams. At first, Cobb and his team (Ariadne, Arthur, etc) use this technology to steal the ideas from and/or influence other businessmen. They are, essentially, controlling people's minds. The villain, Saito becomes aware of the technology and plans to abuse it. Things become more complicated when Cobb and Ariadne discover a deadly side effect to "dream interference". It seems a person's dreams react to the "dream invader" with extreme hostility, "like white blood cells attacking a virus" as the leaked script page states.

That's all I've got

apw
Why not just wait until the movie comes out?

I'm excited to see the trailers and posters and so on. I do find all this over analysing of the trailers and what it could be about a bit odd.

apw wrote:Why not just wait until the movie comes out?

I'm excited to see the trailers and posters and so on. I do find all this over analysing of the trailers and what it could be about a bit odd.
Fair enough.... :(

[Post removed by an administrator]

Aparrently Cobb and team enter someone's mind on a plane. Plus, Ellen Page's character was described as the 'architect', and during the trailer, Cobb tells her to come up with 'new ideas'. Sounds to me like Page's character is crucial in creating these dream worlds.

One thing that I know nothing of, as of yet, are the characters of Cillian Murphy and Tom Berenger.

christophmac wrote:Aparrently Cobb and team enter someone's mind on a plane. Plus, Ellen Page's character was described as the 'architect', and during the trailer, Cobb tells her to come up with 'new ideas'. Sounds to me like Page's character is crucial in creating these dream worlds.

One thing that I know nothing of, as of yet, are the characters of Cillian Murphy and Tom Berenger.
Hmmmm.....interesting....

jgl looks like he's a bad guy, so does tom hardy

lukas haas looks like he's on the same team as dicaprio, cause he's helping him enter somebody's dream using the bathtub?

talli wrote:jgl looks like he's a bad guy, so does tom hardy

lukas haas looks like he's on the same team as dicaprio, cause he's helping him enter somebody's dream using the bathtub?
Btw, every time I watch the French trailer, I end up acting like THIS: