Inception: questions about Ariadne...

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
OK people, so I'm talking about psychological analysis in here.

I saw Inception three times and Ellen Page's character really caught my attention... I wonder if the only question we have to ask ourselves to understand the movie is: "Who is Ariadne?"

Explanation:
Chris said in an interview that Ariadne was the character the audiences could feel closest too because she's the one who discovers the dream world, so people can easily express themselves through her. Actually, she's the youngest member in Cobb's team and the only woman. If you look at the posters, she's the only one who moves, or even runs, and the color of her coat catches the eye... On the DVD cover, she's looking at Cobb and all the other characters are around her, as they were protecting her... Infiltration?

In the last scene, you see her behind the officer who checks Cobb's passport... So she's behind the guy who controls... And in the music, the guitare starts when the camera raises towards her... She's looking at Cobb with a very strange smile.

Then, I think we have to pay a lot more attention to Michael Caine's character. Remember he was an architect too. When he welcomes Cobb at the airport, his quote "This way..." is weird... It's like he was drawing Cobb's way... That could make us think we're still in a dream but, anyway, I still doubt.

My conclusion: considering that Ariadne was Mile's mean to bring Cobb back home, then he could be the guy who leads everything since the beginning of the movie...

What do you guys think? All your suggestions are welcome! :)

And, sorry if something like that has already been posted before. If it has, could you give me the link to the topic?

Well, yes this has been debated countless times, but you're bringing some new stuff into it, so its alright I guess. Anyway, It some good observations you've made. But I stick to the story that was portrayed in the screenplay. :)
- and don't forget, there are countless of tiny details in a film. Don't read too much into all of them. (some are important, others are not)

Nice observations. Some over the top, but respectfully yours. Are you aware of the symbolic value in her name?
http://www.strangecultureblog.com/2010/ ... ology.html

To me she was "somebody better", and Miles knew she would eventually guide Cobb out of his own maze that was entirely built by regret and guilt, ever since Mal killed herself and he left his children without saying goodbye.

tykjen wrote:Nice observations. Some over the top, but respectfully yours. Are you aware of the symbolic value in her name?
http://www.strangecultureblog.com/2010/ ... ology.html

To me she was "somebody better", and Miles knew she would eventually guide Cobb out of his own maze that was entirely built by regret and guilt, ever since Mal killed herself and he left his children without saying goodbye.
I agree with you :)
Actually, ain't Miles Mal's father? I don't really remember...
Because if he is, then he would already know what his daughter would try to do to oblige Cobb to stay with her.
I say that because after all Miles knows it's a difficult job that Cobb's proposing Ariadne, and effectively she risks her life more than once in the dream... That's kinda immoral, risking his own student's safety just to bring his son-in-law back home...
But yet: if Miles had sorta "planned" Mal's attempts to bring Cobb back with her in the dream, then he knew she wouldn't kill Ariadne... But actually Mal kills her in her first dream with Cobb... and why that? Because she feels some kind of a threat against her and her plans in Ariadne's presence in the dream?

Nolan's mind has confused me more than once, but this time, he's really hit the top :think:
What do you think?

Oh, and for the symbolic value, yeah, I knew it. Thanks for the link anyway. :)

Never forget, it's never the real Mal we get to see. After Mal's death, Cobb's uncontrollable subconscious was controlled by his strongest emotions (regret and guilt) thereby projecting her, and the faceless children.
When Ariadne enters the basement of Cobb's prison of memories, "Mal" [knows] who Ariadne is. Which only means..its really Cobb that is talking to Ariadne in that scene.

tykjen wrote:Never forget, it's never the real Mal we get to see. After Mal's death, Cobb's uncontrollable subconscious was controlled by his strongest emotions (regret and guilt) thereby projecting her, and the faceless children.
When Ariadne enters the basement of Cobb's prison of memories, "Mal" [knows] who Ariadne is. Which only means..its really Cobb that is talking to Ariadne in that scene.
Yeah, right. So in the last Cobb/Mal scene, when you see them growing old, I don't think it's true. I think Cobb's created those false memories to make Mal's projection think it's real.

To make [himself] believe it was real, indeed. A case of Memento at times for Cobb. And the shining duality he carries with the twisted projection of Mal, reminds me of a lot of duality within The Prestige. And since that conversation took place in the lowest layer of the subconscious, it worked on himself. He managed to let go, and go home.

So Cobb practised Inception on himself???

Waow, I had never thought about that before.
:think:

Yup :) That's what I love the most about Inception. So many angles to look at it from. And the one I most enjoy, is that the entire movie is a "scripted" dream by Cobb, to guide himself into letting go of the guilt.