INCEPTION is the movie that defined 2010

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
RomanM wrote:Really? Fight Club defined a generation? How so?
Fight Club defined everything. Palahniuk defined the modern world to perfection.
Everything from social life, working life, norms, father figures, materialism, human nature (based on freuds theories), and most importantly it defined the nihilist aspect of living in a world with no purpose.

Could you be a little more specific? I'm genuinely interested lol.

Anne Elk (Miss) wrote:
TotemCheck21 wrote:I can't help but feel like Inception will age better than any other film this year.
I could be wrong but I think Inception will date very quickly. In ten years' time I think you'll look back at it and it'll look old. I agree with DreamArchitect that TSN will come to define not just a year but a period, not for how it looks but for what it says. Inception vs. TSN will define 2010 about as much as Star Wars vs. Saturday Night Fever defined 1977.
i would disagree and think quite the opposite. TSN would be the more outdated film, due to it being based upon an era that will eventually cease. the film maybe generational now because facebook is currently the largest social website in the world, but as soon as the world moves on to something else, the luster for this film will feel antique.

inception, however, will be one that will last and be remembered. for starters (which is why it was hugely successful worldwide) is that it's a universal tale set in an unknown date. there's nothing in this film that gives it an "outdated" feeling in years to come. it's style is uniquely undefined from the clothes/suits to the set designs as a whole. and most importantly, it's the most talked about film of the year! if you want to make the "star wars" comparison...then inception & TSN is "star wars vs. annie hall" with TSN being the annie hall. best picture, but going good for the times.

DreamArchitect wrote:
BatMotor wrote:Defined 2010??? dont make me laugh please.oh i just did :lol:
Agreed. He/she used the wrong term. Inception did not in any way 'define' 2010. To define a generation means there must be some sort of connection between the movie and real life which defines us. Which there is not. TSN, however, defined our generation because it showed how we changed the way we communicate with each other, the want for money and power, etc.

To the person who posted this thread - you used the incorrect term.
If the movie was ABOUT all of that then I would agree. But the movie was nothing about our technological advancement lifestyle. it's instead a rehashed modernized "citizen kane" tale. you could replace facebook to any company and tell the exact same tale.

Jonas Agersø wrote:TSN didn't define shit. Seriously, whats wrong with people.
Now Fight Club and American Beauty, that defined a generation.
replace fight club to the matrix, then i would agree. fight club, however, was and still is a cult classic. but lacks universal mass appeal for so-call "define a generation"

gluvnast wrote:
Jonas Agersø wrote:TSN didn't define shit. Seriously, whats wrong with people.
Now Fight Club and American Beauty, that defined a generation.
replace fight club to the matrix, then i would agree. fight club, however, was and still is a cult classic. but lacks universal mass appeal for so-call "define a generation"
The Matrix is one of my favorite films of all time. Iv been studying the philosophy behind it for years.
But its not a generation defining film. Actually not at all.

gluvnast wrote: If the movie was ABOUT all of that then I would agree. But the movie was nothing about our technological advancement lifestyle. it's instead a rehashed modernized "citizen kane" tale. you could replace facebook to any company and tell the exact same tale.

You mean you didn't get the fact that the entire film is just one big instance of irony? The fact that a character so socially inept and solitary create something that changed the way humans interact and communicate.

theweatherman wrote:
gluvnast wrote: If the movie was ABOUT all of that then I would agree. But the movie was nothing about our technological advancement lifestyle. it's instead a rehashed modernized "citizen kane" tale. you could replace facebook to any company and tell the exact same tale.

You mean you didn't get the fact that the entire film is just one big instance of irony? The fact that a character so socially inept and solitary create something that changed the way humans interact and communicate.
Bingo. I think the individuals in the social network mirror today's society very well. Their motives, desires, and outlook is very much similar to my generation. I mean it's a movie about Facebook, of course it's indicative about my generation.

theweatherman wrote:

that's completely different from speaking about technological advancement to our current lifestyle. it was merely used as a TOOL to examine who the main character was and not as a statement of our growth in society on a social level. the movie was a character study, NOT an observation of society as a whole. a REAL generational film, for example, would be the original "wallstreet".

zuckerberg in the film is 2010's charles foster kane. plain and simple.

Jonas Agersø wrote:
gluvnast wrote:
The Matrix is one of my favorite films of all time. Iv been studying the philosophy behind it for years.
But its not a generation defining film. Actually not at all.
there haven't been a film for more than a decade that has been more impactful and influencial to a generation. like i said, fight club is a cult classic. whereas, the matrix was redefining and revolutionary towards a generation as a whole. both spoke on similar, if not same, philosophical ideologies and reasonings, but the matrix actually had people questioning their look at current society.