INCEPTION is the movie that defined 2010

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Anne Elk (Miss) wrote:... that TSN will come to define not just a year but a period, not for how it looks but for what it says. Inception vs. TSN will define 2010 about as much as Star Wars vs. Saturday Night Fever defined 1977.
And what it says has been said before. You ever see Citizen Kane?

It has been called the modern Citizen Kane, but they aren't really trying to say the same thing.

Yeah Citizen Kane was a giant middle finger to William Randolph Hearst, The Social Network is just a story with similar themes.

Spintop wrote:
Anne Elk (Miss) wrote:... that TSN will come to define not just a year but a period, not for how it looks but for what it says. Inception vs. TSN will define 2010 about as much as Star Wars vs. Saturday Night Fever defined 1977.
Elaborate, if you would.

Anne Elk (Miss) wrote:
Spintop wrote:
Elaborate, if you would.
He builds a fortune, an 'empire'. And he builds it by being innovative and strong-willed. And of course he alienates a few along the way. Only difference here is that Mark isn't old enough yet to realize all he has lost.
You should watch it again. Both films.

I did state that I wouldn't be too upset if TSN won simply because it does define our generation, and its story of greed, betrayal and what you will give up for success is fantastic. If Inception loses Best Picture, then I want TSN to win it. However, I do believe that Inception is the best film I have seen all year, and really one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. What has supported this opinion of mine even more is the reaction that my friend's have had towards Inception. Literally every person that I have met who has seen the movie has flipped about it, they are blown away and have had such an incredible positive response towards this film, which is exactly how I have reacted towards it. I have yet to see the same "oh my gosh that blew my mind and that was bloody brilliant" reaction from myself and my peers towards any movie this year, except maybe Toy Story 3 (which is fantastic). And to me, its that raw excitement and incredible enthusiasm that comes from viewing Inception that sets it apart this year. Does it have the same social commentary as a movie like TSN? Not at all, so if that fits more of your criteria for Best Picture than TSN is your choice. However, I guess I appreciate the spectacle of jaw-dropping theater more, at least in this case. Either way, Nolan has placed a lot of pressure on himself to top this film, and if-when he does we will be in for an amazing ride.

TotemCheck21 wrote:I did state that I wouldn't be too upset if TSN won simply because it does define our generation, and its story of greed, betrayal and what you will give up for success is fantastic. If Inception loses Best Picture, then I want TSN to win it. However, I do believe that Inception is the best film I have seen all year, and really one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. What has supported this opinion of mine even more is the reaction that my friend's have had towards Inception. Literally every person that I have met who has seen the movie has flipped about it, they are blown away and have had such an incredible positive response towards this film, which is exactly how I have reacted towards it. I have yet to see the same "oh my gosh that blew my mind and that was bloody brilliant" reaction from myself and my peers towards any movie this year, except maybe Toy Story 3 (which is fantastic). And to me, its that raw excitement and incredible enthusiasm that comes from viewing Inception that sets it apart this year. Does it have the same social commentary as a movie like TSN? Not at all, so if that fits more of your criteria for Best Picture than TSN is your choice. However, I guess I appreciate the spectacle of jaw-dropping theater more, at least in this case. Either way, Nolan has placed a lot of pressure on himself to top this film, and if-when he does we will be in for an amazing ride.
I, as well, totally enjoy the jaw-dropping impact of a film like Inception.
I think your statement about TSN defining our generation got a little twisted by others, though. By that I mean TSN does not define the decade totally, but it helps somewhat define the current generation. And I hope that many 'network users' learned from that movie.
There was a film by Oliver Stone earlier in the decade that helped define the decade, since there were some obvious events in America that affected pretty well all of us here, whether or not we socialized using a computer.
Inception was the best film I saw all year. It made the top of my top ten list, obviously. It gave me everything I needed and was looking for in a film.
I fucking love going into a movie not knowing what it's gonna be about, only to get 'wowed' like that. Immense.

Anne Elk (Miss) wrote:I could be wrong but I think Inception will date very quickly. In ten years' time I think you'll look back at it and it'll look old. I agree with DreamArchitect that TSN will come to define not just a year but a period, not for how it looks but for what it says. Inception vs. TSN will define 2010 about as much as Star Wars vs. Saturday Night Fever defined 1977.
What about it do you think will look/feel dated in ten years? Is it just because of the special effects shots?

Anne Elk (Miss) wrote:
TotemCheck21 wrote:I can't help but feel like Inception will age better than any other film this year.
I could be wrong but I think Inception will date very quickly. In ten years' time I think you'll look back at it and it'll look old. I agree with DreamArchitect that TSN will come to define not just a year but a period, not for how it looks but for what it says. Inception vs. TSN will define 2010 about as much as Star Wars vs. Saturday Night Fever defined 1977.

Hmm. Not sure if its going to date as much as you think. The set designs are very classy, great music. I think it will hold up well. Just like the Matrix holds up today.

Richmondthefish wrote:
Anne Elk (Miss) wrote: I could be wrong but I think Inception will date very quickly. In ten years' time I think you'll look back at it and it'll look old. I agree with DreamArchitect that TSN will come to define not just a year but a period, not for how it looks but for what it says. Inception vs. TSN will define 2010 about as much as Star Wars vs. Saturday Night Fever defined 1977.

Hmm. Not sure if its going to date as much as you think. The set designs are very classy, great music. I think it will hold up well. Just like the Matrix holds up today.
How could it possibly date? There's hardly any detectable cg stuff, the sets and 'look' of the film is topnotch, with a highly original idea that blew everyone away at the time, you know, before it became cool to knock on it.

I mean, I look at some other films that use effects as well as the camera similarly to Nolan, and they don't strike me as having dated. This is likely going to be Nolan's 2001.