INCEPTION is the movie that defined 2010

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Okay, I have tried really hard to find a better movie in 2010 than "Inception". Honestly, I have. I absolutely loved Toy Story 3, thought The Social Network was fantastic, heck I even saw that waste of a movie called Avatar: The Last Airbender. However, nothing that I have seen this year can top "Inception". And to me, I am still baffled why it is not racking up during rewards season.

For one, I have yet to meet a person who has seen the movie and not absolutely loved it. Maybe my personal group of friends and family are all secret Nolan fanatics, but I highly doubt it. I am talking about all of my different groups of friends and family members, who all have wildly different tastes in movies and make it near impossible to pick a movie for a movie night. Yet we have all agreed that Inception is brilliant, and everyone I have talked to was floored by it. In fact, I have already lent my copy to 6 friends who hadn't seen it yet, and all of them came back and said that it blew them away.

Also, it seems like a slap in the face to watch such an original, inventive and creative story such as this and not reward it, while films like The Social Network walk away with all of the awards. Nothing against that movie or other movies, they are really good. But I have yet to see a 2010 film even touch the creativity and brilliance of Inception's script, yet these are the movies that are being rewarded.

Lastly, I can't help but feel like Inception will age better than any other film this year. I have no doubts that it will be known as a classic years from now, and it will be on many people's "Best of the Decade" lists. Compare that to many other movies from 2010, and I don't see another film that stands out to me in that way. Inception is more than a sci-fi action film: it is a movie that makes you think, tears you apart emotionally, has an amazing finale that blows you away, has great acting across the board, and is so freaking original that you almost can't believe what you are watching.

Anyway, I really hope that Inception is seen as the movie that defined 2010, and I believe that it will be. It's now about time to reward Nolan with an honor that acknowledges his fantastic accomplishment this year.
Last edited by TotemCheck21 on January 22nd, 2011, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, I agree with your praise of the film. Immensely so. With that said, I think we need to lay out what it means to define the year its released. Does that mean it's the 'best' film of the year, or is it a film that's socially relevant to that year. I mean, look at 1976: All the President's Men, Rocky, Taxi Driver, and Network. All are fantastic pictures. Rocky won bp. All the President's Men was the most relevant culturally, with Taxi Driver close behind, and Rocky was a right thing at the right time type deal as this idea of fighting through after all the paranoia from watergate spread aided the film's awareness.

I guess what I'm saying is, I think what defines a year shouldn't have to do with quality, but in terms of relevance. Inception's, in my opinion, one of the best films ever made, and I've seen a hell of a lot of them, but that doesn't necessarily mean it defines that year.

See what I'm saying? I'm tired so who knows how clear I'm being :crazy:

-Vader

No, I think I see what you are saying. And I guess I need to refine my thoughts better, because there is no doubt that The Social Network would define our generation in 2010. Great movie, and it has a lot of commentary about our current society and I applaud it for that. It's this reason why I wouldn't be too upset if it won the Oscar for Best Picture, simply because it does define my generation at the moment (I am 22).

However, I guess I am talking about 10-20 years from now and people like me are researching older movies that they missed out on. When they search for "2010's Greatest Films" or "Best Picture Winners", I feel like Inception will and should be the movie there that best represents the 2010 movie crop. I do not see it being a flash in the pan, like I do some other films released this year. I truly believe that this movie will be cherished and become a classic down the road. It's a near-perfect mix of a critical and creative success, as well as a box office success.

I don't know if I am making sense either. I just think it's flippin amazing

I have very little doubt in my mind Nolan will be known as the second version of Kubrick in various styles and substance, and this sense of grandness to all that is undertaken as a filmmaker, and in that sense I absolutely agree with you. People think back and even in terms of general era, amongst a catalogue of amazing Kubrick pictures, 2001 stands out. Inception is Nolan's 2001. I'm not sure it's entirely possible for him to top Inception unless he has some other high-concept ideas down the road just by the nature of its own elements.

But yeah, I completely agree with everything you've said. The Social Network (and maybe Fight Club to a lesser extent, also by Fincher) probably defines this generation through commentary, but in terms of amazing filmmaking, Inception will be remembered for that, even though critics now like to pretend they weren't going on about how mind blowing and amazing it was half a year prior. Damn critics. (I'm 19 btw, I've just seen a lot of films :D

-Vader

Kubrick is rolling over in his grave.

RomanM wrote:Kubrick is rolling over in his grave.
:lol:

There there, Kubrick, it was nothing. Just a bad dream, is all. Go back to resting...

TotemCheck21 wrote:Also, it seems like a slap in the face to watch such an original, inventive and creative story such as this and not reward it, while films like The Social Network walk away with all of the awards. Nothing against that movie or other movies, they are really good. But I have yet to see a 2010 film even touch the creativity and brilliance of Inception's script, yet these are the movies that are being rewarded.
No, I don't think it 'defined' 2010. To define 2010 means that the movie was very connected to the society of 2010. Inception isn't that. The Social Network was the movie that define the decade, because it showed us a story of money and power. A story of loyalty and betrayal. And of course, friendships and how the way we communicate with each other changed the world. Remember that Inception isn't a truly original film. The concept is original, but the script lacked the certain elements of award-winning movies (emotions, character compexities, development, etc.) Movies like American Beauty, now that is a TRULY original screenplay. The concept of dreams was highly original but Nolan didn't evoke the certain emotions needed to have made it more praised. That was his biggest flaw. He failed to connect us to the characters emotionally.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE Inception, but I think The Social Network deserves all the praise and awards glory it is getting.

Concept of dreams isn't original. Frederico Ferlini made 8 1/2 decades ago LOL.

Inception's originality comes from the idea that you can get sucked deeper into a dream, the levels system. A dream within a dream, within a dream is the original twist on it.

DreamArchitect wrote:
TotemCheck21 wrote: Movies like American Beauty, now that is a TRULY original screenplay.
Good example.

[quote="RomanM=]
Frederico Ferlini made 8 1/2 decades ago LOL. [/quote]

Really good example! :thumbup:

TotemCheck21 wrote:I can't help but feel like Inception will age better than any other film this year.
I could be wrong but I think Inception will date very quickly. In ten years' time I think you'll look back at it and it'll look old. I agree with DreamArchitect that TSN will come to define not just a year but a period, not for how it looks but for what it says. Inception vs. TSN will define 2010 about as much as Star Wars vs. Saturday Night Fever defined 1977.