I have an issue with Inception I'd like to discuss.

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Anne Elk (Miss) wrote:Just my two penn'orth but cut the decision have been with the claustrophobic nature of the story? I mean, the Limbo shots were pretty expansive.

they somehow felt closed off from the rest of the world...as if there was nothing beyond what we saw

talli wrote:
Anne Elk (Miss) wrote:Just my two penn'orth but cut the decision have been with the claustrophobic nature of the story? I mean, the Limbo shots were pretty expansive.

they somehow felt closed off from the rest of the world...as if there was nothing beyond what we saw

I certainly agree we were meant to see these more as video game levels than these massive cities, but with that said, Nolan certainly said he wanted to deliver this grand sense of scale, and a massive component of that is a high frequency of well done wides/exteriors and it seems he didn't do that for various reasons I can't fully understand. Even in the concept wart in the shot we see Cob going down the side of the castle, we see the entire thing, not just the tiny part we see now in the film.

I'd have loved to have seen the environments!

-Vader

Well the film had giant action set pieces and an infinite world. That is likely what he meant by it.

Inception suppose to be a smaller vibed film. It's an intimate personal story of someone's struggle coping with guilt and loss of his own wife and his obessive desire to see his children again.

TDK was intent to be grander in scale, which is why the IMAX cameras were used. It's an epic morality tale over the thin line between good & evil.

Think about it this way. In your dreams, everything might feel really grandscale, everything feels big, but do you ever bother to notice what's in your peripheral vision?

Same with Inception, the film is meant to have you focus on the center of the screen, the center of the action, to immerse you in the experience. You're supposed to just know that the film is on a grandscale, but not actually see it.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Vader182, I know what you mean. Inception does feel a lot smaller than TDK, and I wonder if part of it's technical. With TDK they worked with IMAX cameras for the establishing shots and the action. It's a heavy camera and they can't do handheld with it (okay, they did one shot handheld in IMAX :lol: ), so it's always on a Steadicam rig or a car or a helicopter. So there's already a lot of weight behind each shot, just physically speaking. That weight is automatically going to make it feel epic.

With Inception, Chris and Wally eschewed IMAX in favor of going handheld. So that automatically says to me that they wanted a more intimate feel instead of the giant beast that TDK was. It's not necessary wrong or "less" than TDK, it just makes it different.

Inception has always felt like a more intimate story, where you're concerned with a small group of people, but mostly concerned with ONE character. TDK was like a whole other world, and allowed a bigger canvas in that way.

I certainly agree its far more an intimate a story, and I'm aware of the technical aspects of things (like it being shot handheld) and I suppose that answers it. But honestly, even with it being shot handheld for much of it, if they just didn't cut quite as often, I feel like much of what I'm talking about would have been improved. Even in the concept art many shots feel massive and look huge, but the finished product is much more narrow.

I just find it odd they didn't shoot any IMAX sequences and so on (so the camera can be more agile as Inception has a much different sort of action than TDK does), or didn't present the film within a larger canvas.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:I certainly agree its far more an intimate a story, and I'm aware of the technical aspects of things (like it being shot handheld) and I suppose that answers it. But honestly, even with it being shot handheld for much of it, if they just didn't cut quite as often, I feel like much of what I'm talking about would have been improved. Even in the concept art many shots feel massive and look huge, but the finished product is much more narrow.

I just find it odd they didn't shoot any IMAX sequences and so on (so the camera can be more agile as Inception has a much different sort of action than TDK does), or didn't present the film within a larger canvas.

-Vader
Well it certainly wasn't an accident. Wally talked about how they considered using IMAX for Inception but decided against it because they wanted to go handheld. They simply wanted the film to be more intimate.

And I actually felt that the cuts were shorter in TDK than in Inception. The shots were just framed tighter in Inception.

I didn't miss the lack of 'establishing' shots and thinking about it now I realise that the 'establishing' was done in a different way...