Can someone explain how Inception is similar to the Matrix?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
I keep reading from people on the internet that Inception heavily reminded them of the Matrix. Does anyone understand this? I mean, it's not as if there was kung fu, prophecy, robots, or virtual reality. There are VERY superficial similarities, in that there are gun fights and some sort of alternate reality, but how does that translate to being similar movies?

Btw, I do like the Matrix as well, they just seem like very different kinds of movies.

Since 1999 everything with lot of guns, questionable laws of physics and alternate realities gets related to the Matrix, like the Matrix wasn't based upon anything that came out before 1999... It's improperly tied to Inception for many reasons, none of which good. The whole purpose, story, feel of it is different than the Matrix, not to mention the structure and everything. Not to mention that in the Matrix you know which was the real world and which wasn't and there was no question about it and in Inception... well... :P

I'd go along with the 'superficial' similarity opinion. In both films the artificial reality is achieved by plumbing the sleepers into a sci-fi device and in both films the characters who know they're operating in a false reality can bend the rules to achieve their objectives (or, in Cobb's case, to derail their plans). But they're not telling the same story - the conflict and the journey are completely different in each case, and the directors' intentions are not the same.

prince0gotham wrote:Since 1999 everything with lot of guns, questionable laws of physics and alternate realities gets related to the Matrix, like the Matrix wasn't based upon anything that came out before 1999... It's improperly tied to Inception for many reasons, none of which good. The whole purpose, story, feel of it is different than the Matrix, not to mention the structure and everything. Not to mention that in the Matrix you know which was the real world and which wasn't and there was no question about it and in Inception... well... :P
You're wrong.
2 movies for example:Dark City(1998),Ghost in the Shell(1995)
The Wachowski brothers stole many ideas from thoose movies.So the matrix isn' original.But is still one of my favourite movies.(with inception) quote frome the movie:"You draw from stuff you know,right?"
Watch this 2 movies.
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/540/
http://vodpod.com/watch/28784-a-matrix- ... comparison

Sorry for my bad english.

Inception is set in the real world, but characters can enter another world.

The Matrix shows that the 'real world', which is the one we alledgedly live in, is a hoax.

Inception's parallel universe is entered strategically and it serves a generally positive purpose (for some, though clearly not Cobb), The Matrix's does not.

Dark City has more similarity's with Inception then Matrix.

TylerD wrote:
prince0gotham wrote:Since 1999 everything with lot of guns, questionable laws of physics and alternate realities gets related to the Matrix, like the Matrix wasn't based upon anything that came out before 1999... It's improperly tied to Inception for many reasons, none of which good. The whole purpose, story, feel of it is different than the Matrix, not to mention the structure and everything. Not to mention that in the Matrix you know which was the real world and which wasn't and there was no question about it and in Inception... well... :P
You're wrong.
The Wachowski brothers stole many ideas from thoose movies.So the matrix isn' original.But is still one of my favourite movies.(with inception) quote frome the movie:"You draw from stuff you know,right?"
Watch this 2 movies.

The poster wasn't saying that the Matrix was original. Re-read it, again, carefully.

It's just the whole 'alternate reality' thing that is similar really, but whilst I was watching Inception, in no way did it remind me of the Matrix

TylerD wrote:
You're wrong.
Watch this 2 movies.

I never said The Matrix was truly original. I said it's not like it didn't use ideas from movies before 1999 which is exactly what you said. And yes i've seen those movies and yes they're similar and yes there's nothing wrong with that.

People compare Inception to the Matrix because they deal with similar philosophical ideas. (i.e. what is real?)
And yes, they both contain alot of gun-slinging.