Cobb´s Totem

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
James wrote:
chee wrote:No, no one is allowed to touch his totem.

but you are not supposed to tell anyone what your totem does, correct? btw have you seen tron legacy? if so rating please!
I don't think that was ever mentioned in the movie, so no. :)

Loved it!
8/10 :)

what do you think of all the negative tron legacy reviews? I really want to like it but just cant take 'getting sucked into a computer' seriously. I find toy story more believable.

James wrote:what do you think of all the negative tron legacy reviews? I really want to like it but just cant take 'getting sucked into a computer' seriously. I find toy story more believable.
I didn't read any reviews, I personally don't like reading them (I didn't read any for Inception, I just glanced them over to see their scores).

Well, you got to remember that its a movie. It's fiction. It's not real. Just go with it and you'll like it. ;)

James wrote:what do you think of all the negative tron legacy reviews? I really want to like it but just cant take 'getting sucked into a computer' seriously. I find toy story more believable.
Tron had Jeff Bridges... Besides for that... I wasn't impressed. It lacked all of the computer programming references that the first one had.

MW715 wrote:
Tron had Jeff Bridges... Besides for that... I wasn't impressed. It lacked all of the computer programming references that the first one had.
Here's a subtle one:
Remember when
Quorra's hand is cut and Flynn 'repairs' it? A moth flies away from her. Flynn debugs her. :o
gib sigs

Totems never work. All they do is tell if you're not in someone else's dream. Cobb is a liar.
Brave New World

Here's a question that's bothering me...

- We all know that totem is used to find whether you are in someone else's dream.

In the scene in Mombasa, after meeting Yusuf, he goes to the basement and lies down ..hooked on to the dream machine, to test how effective is Yusuf's chemical.
--Mind you.. it is his own dream---

He gets the jolt of the train ramming into them and he wakes up..
And he goes to the wash room , washes his face and tries to Spin the totem, it falls down before he could actually spin it, and Saito interrupts and he keeps the totem in his pocket and goes out.

Questions,
1. Why did he have to test the Totem at all.. ?
- We know that he went under his own dream (to test yusuf's chemical). - He was the only one hooked upto the machine
- So obviously, using the totem to find whether you are still dreaming doesn't make sense.. since it is used only to check if you are in someone else's dream and not your's.!!!

2. I will tell you why it won't make sense to use your own totem to find if you are still dreaming or you are back to reality
- Since, it is your own dream.. you can alter the state as per your wishes....
- You can either dream that the totem topples.. and believe you are back to reality (but you are actually dreaming)
- You can dream that the totem keeps spinning and believe you are still dreaming.

(So one cannot not be sure, if one is dreaming or not..)
that brings to my 2nd question

2. The totem logic wont work to find if you are in your own dream... So how do you know for sure...if ur dreaming or back to reality?
Maybe altering the physics of the dream world??? (But you can still dream of not altering ?) ..not sure if I made sense here

3. When he lies down in the basement of Yusuf's clinic, from that point onwards.. everything till the end can be interpreted as a dream right?
(Since there is no way of knowing for sure that cobb woke up back to reality in the basement.. he could have dreamt the whole thing)

karthiksac wrote:1. Why did he have to test the Totem at all.. ?
Cobb's subconscious is tormenting him and he cant stop or control it. He always reality checks himself after waking up from a MAL (bad) dream. He is a Dreamshare addict struggling to come to terms with reality. Arthur also told Ariadne that Cobb did all these things that he did not want others to do. So you do see, Cobb's "rules" is unreliable just as much as himself.

Nolan has dismissed your and thousands of other's interpretation that the bathroom sequence is of major significance and that it all could be a dream afterwards. Nolan called that theory "off the wall".

But that scene does have significance, and the biggest part is Saito. Remember what he said in Limbo? "I have seen one before. Many many years ago".
Saito saw the totem long enough for his subconscious to recognize it.

Jungian wrote:a MAL (bad) dream.
A bad dream is "mauvais rêve", not "mal rêve". Mal as bad is used to describe an action. As an adjective, it's "mauvais".