Cobb´s Totem

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
We all know that cobb´s totem is a spinning top that belonged to Mal, and i wonder what would be cobb´s totem before
she died
How do you think Cobb´s totem was?

lionsaulter wrote:We all know that cobb´s totem is a spinning top that belonged to Mal, and i wonder what would be cobb´s totem before
she died
How do you think Cobb´s totem was?

i dont think he had one....he said that the totem was mal's idea....so that spinning top mustve been the first totem ever used.....and he only discovered she was using it when he finds it locked away in her safe...soon after that she killed herself

People say the totem is the key to the film: "If it falls, he's in reality, if it doesn't he's in a dream." I don't think so.

The totem clearly falls over twice earlier in the film, however; it cannot be seen as an absolute, ligitimate totem. It belonged to his wife and Cobb apparently got it after she died (in the bedroom scene just before she kills herself.) However, if Cobb was really in a dream that whole time, he couldn't ever get her totem or perfectly conseptualize it (thus the point of a totem.) So, if Cobb was still in a dream he'd merely have his own projection of his wife's totem and It would behave how he believed it should.

Therefore, If Cobb is in reality it would fall, and if Cobb is in a dream then his projection of it would behave the same way so long as he believed he was in reality.

So the film is completely ambigous on the totem.

MW715 wrote:
People say the totem is the key to the film: "If it falls, he's in reality, if it doesn't he's in a dream." I don't think so.

The totem clearly falls over twice earlier in the film, however; it cannot be seen as an absolute, ligitimate totem. It belonged to his wife and Cobb apparently got it after she died (in the bedroom scene just before she kills herself.) However, if Cobb was really in a dream that whole time, he couldn't ever get her totem or perfectly conseptualize it (thus the point of a totem.) So, if Cobb was still in a dream he'd merely have his own projection of his wife's totem and It would behave how he believed it should.

Therefore, If Cobb is in reality it would fall, and if Cobb is in a dream then his projection of it would behave the same way so long as he believed he was in reality.

So the film is completely ambigous on the totem.
you didn´t answer my question :D

He didn't have a totem before. Once Mal died, he used her totem.

talli wrote:i dont think he had one....he said that the totem was mal's idea....so that spinning top mustve been the first totem ever used.....and he only discovered she was using it when he finds it locked away in her safe...soon after that she killed herself
This is pretty much my thinking as well. Although I think it's probable he knew about Mal's totem before he found it in the safe. When he finds it in the safe he seems to understand its properties and understands the significance of the top not spinning vs. spinning. That implies to me that he knew about the totem beforehand.

Regardless, I don't think Cobb had a totem before he started using the top. Maybe he was too cocky to think he needed such a thing? Or he thought Mal's totem would serve both of them?

i asked my cousin this question he said that it was arthur´s totem that cobb gave him after mal died :lol:

lionsaulter wrote:i asked my cousin this question he said that it was arthur´s totem that cobb gave him after mal died :lol:
I suppose he missed the part where no one is allowed to touch your totem. :lol:

chee wrote:
lionsaulter wrote:i asked my cousin this question he said that it was arthur´s totem that cobb gave him after mal died :lol:
I suppose he missed the part where no one is allowed to touch your totem. :lol:
yeah he is kind of dumb like me :lol:

and he thinks eames has no totem, he is too cool to have a totem

lionsaulter wrote:and he thinks eames has no totem, he is too cool to have a totem
Does Eames have a totem? That we see, I mean.

The chip is just a forged chip and he's not precious about it.